mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sycamore Canyon - Ventura Co.

Looks like we are going to have at least a week that is rain free. Anyone know if Sycamore is rideable or when guess when it might be?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Shoo Pork
    Looks like we are going to have at least a week that is rain free. Anyone know if Sycamore is rideable or when guess when it might be?
    Sunday +/-, the stream was way down Friday, but the P.O. is sure to grow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hey Pac

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Sunday +/-, the stream was way down Friday, but the P.O. is sure to grow.
    Hey Pacman,

What do you ride? I bet I probably seen you at one of the staging areas? If you see a small framed Navy Blue 2003 Hollowpoint (not too many in the area) w/ Speedplay frogs and PUSHED AVA Float shock thats me. I'll make it a point to "Hey"

That's gonna leave a mark

pacman

You seem to do a lot of riding in Sycamore lately. I thought you were more of a JPL rider. What gives? You have family out here? Or have you relocated?
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    You seem to do a lot of riding in Sycamore lately. I thought you were more of a JPL rider. What gives? You have family out here? Or have you relocated?
    There are two Pacmen: The TO/SS Pacman and the Eastside/Hi-Rev Pacman

mtbr member
    Hey Pacman,

What do you ride? I bet I probably seen you at one of the staging areas? If you see a small framed Navy Blue 2003 Hollowpoint (not too many in the area) w/ Speedplay frogs and PUSHED AVA Float shock thats me. I'll make it a point to "Hey"
    Look for a 2004 (Grey) Kona Unit.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Current Conditions?

We are going to do a couple of SS loops at Sycamore this Saturday(Mar 19) to get some good Sea Otter distance... is the Guadalascal trail (spelling?) in good shape? Would anyone be interested in meeting?

Jordan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    We are going to do a couple of SS loops at Sycamore this Saturday(Mar 19) to get some good Sea Otter distance... is the Guadalascal trail (spelling?) in good shape? Would anyone be interested in meeting?

Jordan
    if you want mileage ride dirt Mulholland.
    Saturday -
    weather: rain likely.
    trails: some missing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    Saturday -
    where and what exactly is dirt Mulholland? sorry if I should know but I am very interested...

cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    where and what exactly is dirt Mulholland? sorry if I should know but I am very interested...

cheers
    The section of Mulholland closed to traffic. Connects Westridge, Sullivan, Backbone (Will Rogers), Topanga SP, Parker Mesa, etc. easy to do 50 miles a day. Great conditions.

From Valley drive to South end of Reseda Blvd, simple. Other roads - see maps.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

SS ride on Saturday AM

Okay. Sounds like Sycamore is a bust.

A few of us are leaving from Amalfi and Sunset at 9am for a Sullivan Ridge-Hub-Will Rogers loop on the Single Speeds if anyone is interested. Those trails are all up high, should be fine even in the rain.

Couldn't convince Aosty to come, he is headed to AZ for the Rides, but it would be great to meet some other LA SS riders!

Thanks for the Sycamore info.

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    Saturday -
    Is that Sycamore? If so, which trail?
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Sunday Sycamore SS

Rode around for a couple of hours today. The sunny south-facing stuff is in great shape, but Wood Canyon was sloppy so we didn't even try Guadalasca for fear of rutting it. The first 10 main road water crossings were all rideable, but the ones over by Sage Canyon were big dropoffs and not for us...

But we were really happy with conditions. I expected worse. Sage Canyon single track is sweet right now.

Pics on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91694861@N00/sets/173362/

Quote Originally Posted by JSUN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSUN
    Part of Two Foxes

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Guadalasca is fine once you get to it. I rode up it and down backbonel last week and everything was fine. Woods Canyon is sloppy and you have to get you feet wet a couple places - bugs are thick and I got raped by poison oak somewhere though.

Anyone else have problmes with poison oak in sycamore ? I swear I ride within three feet of a bush and I get a rash. Any help would be appreciated.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Bonking ... not feelin' well Poison Oak

Yep, I saw a TON of poison oak on Wood Canyon fire road, growing right out onto the road, especially where you have to duck to ride under the downed tree.

Put a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a washcloth in your car. Wipe down all exposed skin as soon as you are done with your ride. It won't stop it entirely where you were exposed, but it will get the oil off and keep it from spreading. Wash all your clothing immediately when you get home, you can get it from your clothes (gloves?) or anything else that gets the oil on it.

Look PO up and learn to recognize it from a few feet, that's the best defense! But even then... I got some in February in Sullivan Canyon. Sucks.

You didn't ride the Backbone through Bony Mountain Wilderness, did you? We (cyclists) can loose brownie points for that, it's a Wilderness area...

J

Quote Originally Posted by Galamoor
    Guadalasca is fine once you get to it. I rode up it and down backbonel last week and everything was fine. Woods Canyon is sloppy and you have to get you feet wet a couple places - bugs are thick and I got raped by poison oak somewhere though.

Anyone else have problmes with poison oak in sycamore ? I swear I ride within three feet of a bush and I get a rash. Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yep, I saw a TON of poison oak on Wood Canyon fire road, growing right out onto the road, especially where you have to duck to ride under the downed tree.

Put a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a washcloth in your car. Wipe down all exposed skin as soon as you are done with your ride. It won't stop it entirely where you were exposed, but it will get the oil off and keep it from spreading. Wash all your clothing immediately when you get home, you can get it from your clothes (gloves?) or anything else that gets the oil on it.

Look PO up and learn to recognize it from a few feet, that's the best defense! But even then... I got some in February in Sullivan Canyon. Sucks.

You didn't ride the Backbone through Bony Mountain Wilderness, did you? We (cyclists) can loose brownie points for that, it's a Wilderness area...

J

Thanks for the tips - I think that downed tree is where I got nailed. I have to learn what it looks like but all those damn shrubs look the same to me

I dont ride east of the main connector road. I went up guad. then down backbone (I think it is offically called "Wood Canyon Vista Trail").

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    ere you have to duck to ride under the downed tree.

A friend of mine told me about this stuff called Tecnu. It's specifically made to break down the oils in poison oak and ivy. It says you can use it on clothes as well. Comes in a small bottle. You can get it at Sav-On drugs.

I've somehow never caught PO, though I go to Sycamore quite a bit (just lucky, I guess...apparently virtually no one is immune to it). A friend of mine got all over his ankles at Sycamore a couple weeks ago.. He thinks maybe the water in one of the stream crossings was contaminated with the oil!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Warthog
    A friend of mine told me about this stuff called Tecnu. It's specifically made to break down the oils in poison oak and ivy. It says you can use it on clothes as well. Comes in a small bottle. You can get it at Sav-On drugs.

I've somehow never caught PO, though I go to Sycamore quite a bit (just lucky, I guess...apparently virtually no one is immune to it). A friend of mine got all over his ankles at Sycamore a couple weeks ago.. He thinks maybe the water in one of the stream crossings was contaminated with the oil!

benedryl...that stuff works wonders
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days