mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Sycamore Canyon San Diego ?

What's the latest on riding Sycamore starting from Santee? Where can we enter legally? Last I heard the entrance at Mast across from the highschool was off limits.
    Thanks so much

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess of Pain View Post
    What's the latest on riding Sycamore starting from Santee? Where can we enter legally? Last I heard the entrance at Mast across from the highschool was off limits.
    Thanks so much
    Yeah, last time I was there (a few weeks back) we entered the trail across the high school and there is a sign saying it's off-limits. You could always enter at the Poway entrance and start with the Martha's Grove trail and keep riding till you hit another off-limits sign...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Still off limits. Ride fast and leave your copy of the Quran at home!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    All the log rollers are gone They had a detour at the south end of the ranch where the gate is. There is a big off limits sign on the west side but it points to a detour about 50 yards east. I went that way and stayed to the east on the singletrack and did not see another off limits sign along the singletrack until I got to the one near the power lines just north of the lake. I am not certain if I crossed onto an off limits area but I tried to stay as far east as I could and I got a pretty good ride. Sucks about the log rolllers though. They were fun. I am really pissed about losing this trail. It used to be so cool riding there with so many options until the marines got involved. It was one of the few places you could go for singletrack that isn't overrun with hikers.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    The sign at the entrance on Mast near Medina (across from the HS) has been there for a while, and I'm pretty sure it's just for "due diligence" by the landowner - basically, if you get hurt there and try to sue them, they can point to the sign and say you were trespassing. That area is City of SD, but privately owned, the site of the maybe-someday Castle Rock housing development. I wouldn't worry about going in there...

But once you've gone about 2 miles north and cross under the big power lines, you hit the USMC property. They've put some menacing signs up, and for a while they were patrolling and turning people around. I haven't heard any reports for at least 6 months (maybe a year?) of anyone getting stopped, though.

If you continue up to the switchbacks just north/northwest of there, you're getting further into Marineland, so tread with caution. On the other hand, if you make your way north/northeast up into the big valley past the lakes and cross over to the East side, you're back in Civilian territory (that's the site of the maybe-someday-future-probably-never Fanita Ranch housing development).

If you then proceed even further up into Sycamore, you're technically crossing back on Marine property until you get to the gate into Goodan Ranch (or to the turnoff going east to the Ridge trail). They have a few signs up as you head that way too, but I don't know if they're actively enforcing.

mtbr member
    oops -- double post
    Last edited by chuckanado; 03-15-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: double post

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thank you !!!!!!