player hater

Sycamore Canyon - San Diego

Anyone know the current trail conditions? I'm hoping to ride there this weekend. TIA.

Its only 1" on the map!

A few notes.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltesV
    Anyone know the current trail conditions? I'm hoping to ride there this weekend. TIA.
    Sycamore Canyon has certainly gained some character. I next time you ride there treat it like you are riding it for the first time. Mother Nature has really reshaped nearly all of the stream crossings and any low place that water could gather at. All of the little U dips from before are now much deeper and more V-ish. Any of the larger stream crossings are now deeper and instead of the a roll in you have a small ledge/drop into the water. Coupled with some of the bed erosion and you can find yourself in above your hubs quite easily in many spots. The singletrack below that south gate that comes back out on the fireroad just before the south gate is the most torn up from the rains with some nasty ruts. Also a section of the below the south gate fireroad has been taken over by the stream forming a 3 foot deep rut along the side of the road.
    Goodan Ranch area itself was in pretty good shape. There is a new babyhead crossing along the west side singletrack that goes by the ranch house. Martha's has some new ruts that are enough to add some character. The quick rise in the middle is quite sandy and loose and a little ate up which was a really bummer on the single speed today. The bottom of Marthas has a sizeable stream flowing through it right now. The rest of Martha's is unpredictable as there are loose sections that weren't there before and new dips here and there. Same trail but there is enough changes so as you can't rail it from memory.
    Rocky Ridge was great. Extremely green with lots of grass they helped to hide the rocks which added a whole new level of excitement to the trail.
    The worst place for riding and causing damage would be during the first 1/4 mile from Medina parking area in Santee as it is still a little gooey. No longer term damage but unsightly tire marks widening the trail. If everyone would just ride straight through the water holes instead of trying to weasel around it this would not be a problem. With all of the stream crossings I am 100% sure you will have wet feet on your return trip so just bite the bullet at the start ride going straight through the puddles. Also if you start from Medina make sure to take the first trail the left about a quarter mile into the ride. If you go straight you will soon find out that instead of of strream crossing just down the trail you will have 4 foot straight drop into a much rockier creek bed than before. Overall the trails are quite rideable with a few spots that require your close attention.

The wildflowers are totally kicking right now. Here is a thread of some pictures from last week's ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbill
    The wildflowers are totally kicking right now. Here is a thread of some pictures from last week's ride.

Great photos, as usual, Bill. So, Sycamore/Goodan is officially open and no earthquakes, lightning or pajama-clad Rangers springing from trees will result from my riding there?

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Great photos, as usual, Bill. So, Sycamore/Goodan is officially open and no earthquakes, lightning or pajama-clad Rangers springing from trees will result from my riding there?
    Earthquakes and lightning I can't promise, but I'm positive the closure signs are down and the upper trailhead parking lot is open. Miles and I came by some park worker types a couple of weeks ago and had nice words between us without any kind of wierd looks.

I <3 Dirt
    I rode from Medina tonight and the trail was an absolute mess. Just soaked, with mud everywhere. This is one of my favorite after work rides and I would give this a few more weeks before riding here.

player hater
    Well I went to check it out yesterday afternoon. I start from the parking lot off of Garden Rd on the Poway side. I rode throught Martha's Grove, up Cardiac and down the Ridgeline trail. All were in good shape with only a few moist spots here and there. Quite a few water crossings, but all rideable. Very green out there as MTBBill points out; looks great.

mtbr member
    Well, between Meals, Volts and Bill, it looks to me like the best deal is to ride from the Poway side and just stay north of the mud on the route to Medina. With as little as I've been riding, the climb I don't know the name of up to the ridge above Martha's will crush me, anyway...

I <3 Dirt
    Well, between Meals, Volts and Bill, it looks to me like the best deal is to ride from the Poway side and just stay north of the mud on the route to Medina. With as little as I've been riding, the climb I don't know the name of up to the ridge above Martha's will crush me, anyway...
    No kidding. I'm so out of shape right now after hardly riding the last 2 months. These hills will be killing me. I think I'll be sticking with rockier trails composed of DG. I'll have to try things from the Poway side.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

I prefer not to look at it

as getting fat and slow from my sloth like exercise regime, but rather that I'm finally at my optimum DH weight....................

you could always lock your boy in the closet and come to Palm Springs with us on Saturday!

YR

mtbr member

Good job!

Here's my simple review:

South of the gate going toward Medina, it's sandy and progressively wetter to the point of muck.

North of the gate, all the way up to the Poway trailhead, and including the Martha's Grove loops back down, it's EXCELLENT.

The Martha's Grove trail is in great post-rain shape, with plenty of new "character" in the form of nicely set rock water bars, a running stream adjacent to the trail and a few crossings. The pond down below is full to the level of its blowout drain (and it's been stocked with Bluegill and Bass to eat the mosquitos (tiny fish, don't get excited).