mtbr member
    May 2006

Sycamore Canyon (san diego)

a couple of questions....

1. i will be starting from the mast boulevard trailhead for the first time tomorrow. going at a moderate to fast pace, how long should it take to make it up to martha's grove and back?

2. switchback mountain - after climbing the switchbacks, where will the trail lead to if i turn left? i know going right will take me to the trail that runs alongside the water treatment plant and lakes. it is ok to go right? the brush was somewhat grown in when i was last out there two weekends ago

thanks

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Up to Martha's Grove and back takes me two hours if I hammer, starting and finishing at Mast and including switchbacks on the way up. If I go moderate it can be more like 3 or 3.5 hours, depending on who I ride with, how many stops, and the exact route.

If you turn left after switchbacks it will take you up to Gooden Ranch and Martha's after a little while.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Ok what and where is switchback mountain? Is it the the trail that comes down from the crest trail (rocky ridge) or is this something else?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmojo
    Ok what and where is switchback mountain? Is it the the trail that comes down from the crest trail (rocky ridge) or is this something else?
    it's on the other side of the canyon. it's on marine property.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by el_d00der1n0
    it's on the other side of the canyon. it's on marine property.
    Yeah, it's underwater.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Nice. Egrish learned good buy mine teacher.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB
    Yeah, it's underwater.
    lol yeah i never take my zion there. it rusts too easily.

Pedal damn it!
    Oct 2007
    A buddy and I did that from mast and took us 1.45 hours, that was with stopping and talking every 20 minutes. Just messed around.

mtbr member
    When you get to the top of the single track-switchbacks, turn left and climb three more smallish double track climbs along the ridge. You will see a single track peel off to the right just before the fourth double track climb. Stay on this and enjoy a fun switchback downhill. Sweet!

Liaison
    This is Marine land and they may start a crackdown similar to Spring/Oak Canyon.

Switchbacks dig a little deeper into Marine land and I suppose would officially be in West Sycamore Canyon. Under no circumstances go up the bottom of West Sycamore Canyon. This canyon is definitely an operational part of the bas.

This sounds obvious but if you see Super Stallions flying around "switchback mountain" don't go up the trail.
    SDMBA Liaison, Sycamore Canyon/Goodan Ranch Open Space Preserves