Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Sycamore Canyon race Oct 30

http://www.racersandchasers.com/Sycamore_Canyon.html

Wanted to see who's going to do this race. I'm looking forward to going to another local park where I've ridden for years and doing a race there!

A question for Robert if he's listening. Lap counts are posted as 1.5, 2.5, or 3.5 laps. I see the course track posted. I was curious about the half lap - where the start and finish will be?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I might do this since I ride that trail all the time

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'll be there.
    But I missed the .5 part of the lap count.
    Last I read it was full laps.

Just read his updated page.
    I'd guess the .5 lap would be cutting out Martha's Grove for the final lap.
    Addicted to the dirt......with no hope for recovery.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Broke That
    I'd guess the .5 lap would be cutting out Martha's Grove for the final lap.
    You are right, we are going to be staging the start and finish off of the staging area in the big dirt parking lot on HWY 67.

The half lap is new (from when I gps'd) it and realized the lap times were to short. I was just cruzing and it was only 33 min for one lap. The half lap cuts out the climb to and Martha's grove.

For those who are not on our email blast, if you register before midnight on 10-17 we will add your name to the number plates. They are the super cool plastic ones!

We also just added a Marathon class for all who want to do more miles. Its as many laps of the long course you can do before the 3.5hr cutoff. If you head out before the cutoff that lap will count! Rider with the most laps in the least amount of time wins!!!

Let me know if you have any more questions! I too am stoked for this race, bummed I can't race it
    RacersandChasers.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robertherber
    You are right, we are going to be staging the start and finish off of the staging area in the big dirt parking lot on HWY 67.

The half lap is new (from when I gps'd) it and realized the lap times were to short. I was just cruzing and it was only 33 min for one lap. The half lap cuts out the climb to and Martha's grove.

For those who are not on our email blast, if you register before midnight on 10-17 we will add your name to the number plates. They are the super cool plastic ones!

We also just added a Marathon class for all who want to do more miles. Its as many laps of the long course you can do before the 3.5hr cutoff. If you head out before the cutoff that lap will count! Rider with the most laps in the least amount of time wins!!!

Let me know if you have any more questions! I too am stoked for this race, bummed I can't race it
    does the course include the trail off the upper parking lot (Garden Road) that goes up and then drops down all the huge stair steps? I guess I'm asking if this race is doable on a hard tail?

Thanks
    Like is too short to grow up, go ride a bicycle!

mtbr member
    never mind, I just watched the video...

I did notice the price though... WOW! $50 for a grassroots race seems really high.... my cross races don't cost that much...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Thanks for clarifying - more questions...

So the last half lap will be:
    • From the start/finish staging area,
    • Rollercoaster across the ridgeline
    • Down from the ridgeline on singletrack
    • North to the gate, through the gate, then a flat section, then up and down on the singletrack
    • Where the single track meets the main road in the canyon, cut over to the start of the "Caridac" climb (not sure if everyone calls it that but I do!)
    • Up Cardiac back to the start/finish.

Another question, will we need to dismount/bunnyhop at the bottom of the singletrack that comes down from the ridgeline? I think there's a gate at the other "dismount bars" in the park but not that one.

jimfab

holy what? 50 bucks?

Four flys is right. 50 bucks for sycamore canyon????? But it is cool cause the t-shirt is only 20 bucks more.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Permits cost money. Insurance costs money......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter
    Permits cost money. Insurance costs money......
    I realize this, but this is starting to come close to what a Tri costs... Like I said, I also race in the SoCal cross series and the upcoming race is only $28, $38 if you have to buy a one-day license...

It just caught be offguard as I remembered the summer series costing much less I thought...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Chualula creek is private property, I am sure that is why it was less expensive to race at.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Chualula creek is private property, I am sure that is why it was less expensive to race at.

mtbr member
    May 2006

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dmkp621
    So the last half lap will be:
    • From the start/finish staging area,
    • Rollercoaster across the ridgeline
    • Down from the ridgeline on singletrack
    • North to the gate, through the gate, then a flat section, then up and down on the singletrack
    • Where the single track meets the main road in the canyon, cut over to the start of the "Caridac" climb (not sure if everyone calls it that but I do!)
    • Up Cardiac back to the start/finish.

Another question, will we need to dismount/bunnyhop at the bottom of the singletrack that comes down from the ridgeline? I think there's a gate at the other "dismount bars" in the park but not that one.
    You are exactly correct on the half lap!

The park rangers and I have been talking about that same bar (the one that does not have a gate to go around). We will be adding rocks and dirt and super thick rubber mats to make it so that you will just roll over the bar and not even notice that it was there.

As far as the cost go there is a lot more there than some realize. To hold an event in the SD county there are lots of added costs such as permit fees (per rider) and INS. Beings that most of our events are not at an established park such as CX races we have to then bring in trash cans, porta potties, food, water, bounce house and all of the other stuff it takes to run the events like generators and such. Its written into the contracts at certain venues that there is even an extra fee for the bounce house.

We are stepping up our game and bringing out an even better setup for the Winter Series so that is part of the extra costs. We recently sent out a survey (you can fill it out here) and asked what we can do better and to add things takes money. We are about providing the best event possible for the riders!

We still have the First Timers / Chasers class for only $25 and thats a great way to have fun with out the cost and the awards.

I hope this answers some of the questions!
    RacersandChasers.com

mtbr member
    Robert,
    I know you guys are working hard and I realize it takes a lot to put on a race, it was just a little sticker shock I guess...

Thanks for making a San Diego series happen!

Quote Originally Posted by robertherber
    You are exactly correct on the half lap!

The park rangers and I have been talking about that same bar (the one that does not have a gate to go around). We will be adding rocks and dirt and super thick rubber mats to make it so that you will just roll over the bar and not even notice that it was there.

As far as the cost go there is a lot more there than some realize. To hold an event in the SD county there are lots of added costs such as permit fees (per rider) and INS. Beings that most of our events are not at an established park such as CX races we have to then bring in trash cans, porta potties, food, water, bounce house and all of the other stuff it takes to run the events like generators and such. Its written into the contracts at certain venues that there is even an extra fee for the bounce house.

We are stepping up our game and bringing out an even better setup for the Winter Series so that is part of the extra costs. We recently sent out a survey (you can fill it out here) and asked what we can do better and to add things takes money. We are about providing the best event possible for the riders!

We still have the First Timers / Chasers class for only $25 and thats a great way to have fun with out the cost and the awards.

I hope this answers some of the questions!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sounds awesome! Looking forward to this race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Robert, I rode the course today. It rained while we were riding. If it is wet the day before or the day of the race the climb on the fire road to the staging area will be impossible to ride. It is clay and it sticks to wheels! Lets hope for sunny weather.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The weather is looking to be GREAT for next weekend and we can't wait!!!

In the mean time PLEASE respect the local parks by not riding the trails if they are CLOSED due to the wet conditions. Riding closed parks reflects really bad for mountain bikers and jeopardizes our chances of having events at these awesome locations! Thanks for obeying the park rules!

THANKS!!!
    RacersandChasers.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    We are ON for the Sycamore Canyon race this weekend. Spots are going FAST for the Saturday October 30th Sycamore Canyon race. Now that we are in the final week of the race we have less than 100 spots for this great race. This is an awesome location with real mountain biking trails!

Remember to register online to make sure you can race this awesome course!

Oct 30th Sycamore Canyon race features:
    AWESOME race course
    North of the border bikes kids zone
    Post race snacks: fresh fruit, water, and other snacks
    New number plates that are yours for the series
    Fresh cooked Mexican food by South of the Border Catering
    BRC Bike shop 200% PRO Payback
    Marathon MTB class added
    First Timers / Chasers class
    Best costume contest for all racers
    Tons of fun with the whole family

Sycamore Canyon will be opening tomorrow so feel free to join us at 5pm for a Trail Coalition pre ride of the course. We are now starting earlier so that we can finish before it gets dark!

The weather looks like it is finally breaking for the Oct 30th Sycamore Canyon race and it is making for awesome trail conditions. Normally this time of the year its dry and dusty and this time around it will be nice and tacky for all of you to enjoy!

We will be at North of the Border bikes on Friday doing packet pick up and onsite registration if we still have spots remaining. We will be there from 10am-6pm.
    RacersandChasers.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Looks like it is going to rain on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive
    Looks like it is going to rain on Saturday.
    Check out today's forecast

The park rangers are saying the Sycamore Canyon is OPEN starting today and is in great shape.

we will be leading a pre ride of the course today at 3:30pm so that we can be out of the park by 5pm. We will be meeting at the parking area at the end of Sycamore Canyon rd

Hope to see you there!
    RacersandChasers.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Rode Sycamore Canyon from Santee Lakes and it was in AWESOME shape. Respected the gate close at Goodan Ranch and turned around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Looks like you held the race in the rain. After seeing a couple bikes by my house that were covered in mud, and had number plates on them that said racers and chasers.

My question, after seeing the bikes, is Sycamore all ****ed up now?

I hope not, I would have hoped you would have used a little more commonsense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive
    Looks like you held the race in the rain. After seeing a couple bikes by my house that were covered in mud, and had number plates on them that said racers and chasers.

My question, after seeing the bikes, is Sycamore all ****ed up now?

I hope not, I would have hoped you would have used a little more commonsense.
    wow, really?

While I wasn't there this morning, I'm pretty sure the Ranger would have called it if there were any question... The trails were really dry Thursday and I only imagine got even drier yesterday.... it didn't rain that much... ease up...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fourflys
    wow, really?

While I wasn't there this morning, I'm pretty sure the Ranger would have called it if there were any question... The trails were really dry Thursday and I only imagine got even drier yesterday.... it didn't rain that much... ease up...
    Live in Poway, rained pretty good here for a while this morning and mud covered bikes are a pretty good indication of muddy trails lol, but still I bet the only nasty spot was Cardiac. But thats going to tear up your bike more than the trail, it's just a fire road afterall.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast