Liaison

Sycamore Canyon/Goodan Ranch Trail Work

Sycamore Canyon Trail Work and BBQ
    Saturday, December 12, 8:00 A.M.

RAIN MAY POSTPONE THIS EVENT TO DECEMBER 19I WILL KEEP YOU UP TO DATE

Time once again to show your love for one of our favorite Preserves. I asked folks to pray for rain and here it is. This session we'll be working on the lower Martha's Grove Trail east of the Visitor's Center. We will see what these storms did to the trail and work to make sure we get the water off the trail for the rest of the winter. Following the work we'll be fed by the Friends of Goodan Ranch.

We'll meet at the main trailhead parking lot at the end of Sycamore Canyon Road, Saturday December 12 at 8:00. From there we'll drive down into the preserve and park near the trail. As always, bring sunscreen, sturdy shoes, gloves, water, a snack and eye protection.

To get to Sycamore Canyon/Goodan Ranch Open Space Preserves take Poway Road to Garden Road on the East side of Poway. From Garden Road take a right when you get to Sycamore Canyon Road. Proceed to the end of the road. Here's a map but please remember that you have to get to the Preserve from Poway Road, not Scripps Poway Parkway.

Map

See you there.

Please RSVP to Gardner so we know how much food to prepare and tools to bring.
    SDMBA Liaison, Sycamore Canyon/Goodan Ranch Open Space Preserves

Liaison
    Looks like rain on Friday so we shouldn't ride on Saturday. How about comin' out and helpin' the trail at Sycamore? I'm hoping it won't be raining much on Saturday.

mtbr member
    I'll be there with bells on...beer bells that is!
    - George-
    George Wong

Liaison
    See ya there. It's 'sposed to warm up and be sunny next week. Anything we build this weekend will set nicely and really get solid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

What kind of work?

I've never done one of these trail maintenance things. Where I used to live (Marin County) trail work was mostly done by the State/County/City and there was almost zero single track. Well, now I live in Poway and I'd like to help, but is there work for people of all abilities? I'm 53 years old and I don't swing a pick-axe like I used to.

Liaison
    ttcherrick,
    Last week our crew included a teenager and a preteen and they both helped a lot in the effort. I encourage you to come out and give it a try. I became a bit addicted to it and physical annoyances are the only thing that keeps me from doing WAY too much trail work.

Although we may get rained on a little I believe that conditions are setting up to be perfect timing wise. Anything we build Saturday may get some rain on it on Sunday and then have several days at least to harden up.

Liaison
    I'm gonna go for it today. I'm hoping the tread will be workable and not soupy. I'll find out when I get there. Today may be for the headstrong, definitely for the hard core. Hope to see you there.