Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Sycamore Canyon is burning.

It's burning at PCH. That's sad, it's a very nice place to ride.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just spoke to park rangers and it's burnt all the way to wood canyon. All the ST is burnt. They said the trails shouldn't be closed for too long.

mtbr member

Just rode there on Monday. Kind of sad!

mtbr member
    man I'm glad I got in one last ride there last sunday.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member

Pictures of deer running scared, people rescuing bunnies... I feel a really weird connection I didn't expect.

Beer Please!
    I was thinking about that when I heard the news. When we lived in Ventura we used to ride there all the time, such a beautiful spot. Hopefully it recovers quickly.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbbikerider View Post
    Just spoke to park rangers and it's burnt all the way to wood canyon. All the ST is burnt. They said the trails shouldn't be closed for too long.
    glad to hear they think it wont be too bad. i remember after the last fire the section of backbone into the cyn looked like a moonscape. i wonder if guadalasca burnt too...one of my favorite st for sure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Hopefully it recovers quickly.
    It will. In October of '05 when the big fire burned through the ranch I grew up on in Simi Valley, It grew back pretty quick. It was actually good for the land to burn off all that old growth.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    man I'm glad I got in one last ride there last sunday.
    Here is what it looked like two weeks ago (April 21). This is in the upper canyon area.

"...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    There's so much smoke in Simi Valley right now, that if I look to the mountains on the south side, I can't see them.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Southern California chapparal generally recovers pretty quickly after the fires. Let's not forget that Sycamore Canyon burned completely in the 90's and look what it turned into in 20 years.

I live in in San Diego now and we've had arguably some of the worst fires in the state in the 2000's and all of those fires touched heavily ridden areas. some of them were flush with grasses and flowers within months. the sage and other trees take a tad longer but they come back. it's only the big trees that can't grow quickly, obviously and even then, depending on how fast the fire moves, the trees may not even die.

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider View Post
    Southern California chapparal generally recovers pretty quickly after the fires. Let's not forget that Sycamore Canyon burned completely in the 90's and look what it turned into in 20 years.

I live in in San Diego now and we've had arguably some of the worst fires in the state in the 2000's and all of those fires touched heavily ridden areas. some of them were flush with grasses and flowers within months. the sage and other trees take a tad longer but they come back. it's only the big trees that can't grow quickly, obviously and even then, depending on how fast the fire moves, the trees may not even die.
    I'm gonna be waaaay to old to ride any trails in 20 years. Think I'll go through there in a few months with lots of Miracle Grow.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

Gotta pay to play
    All of Sycamore burned bad when I was in Highschool- 95 or 96 I think. Next year everything but the trees were back and super green- looked great. Right after the fires hiking and biking was pretty fun because the terrain looked so cool.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was hoping Hell Hill would shrink down a bit after all that fire... Joking aside, Sycamore is my go-to trail. It just sucks that fire had to happen...

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Sycamore Canyon is burning.

Chapparal loves fire. It needs to burn every so often so that it doesn't get out of hand all at once.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    All of Sycamore burned bad when I was in Highschool- 95 or 96 I think. Next year everything but the trees were back and super green- looked great. Right after the fires hiking and biking was pretty fun because the terrain looked so cool.
    Thanks for this perspective. It's made me feel a tad better.

With the high winds, it wouldn't surprise me to see the trees back soon rather than later. Sycamore was looking beautiful last week...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Wow, that's really sad.
    I rode a lot in this area in 2010. Here's a video I took back then:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNbNF0r7SMo

Hope can ride there when I'm back this autumn.

mtbr member
    I wonder if it burned all the way from the Wendy/Potrero area (where the paved down hill path starts) down to the beach?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Beer Please!
    I heard on the news this morning that 44 square miles burn't and they do not think there was any foul play in the starting of this fire.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Chapparal loves fire. It needs to burn every so often so that it doesn't get out of hand all at once.
    Well, kinda...

This is actually coastal sage scrub (similar to chapparal), and it will tolerate fire. But if fires come repeatedly at less than 20-year intervals, the natives stop bouncing back, and it turns into a sea of mustard and thistle. Look at Chino Hills for a great example.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Any indication of when the park will reopen? I want in on that rattlesnake-free Mars Hero Dirt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by duderidesabike View Post
    Any indication of when the park will reopen? I want in on that rattlesnake-free Mars Hero Dirt.
    I was told by the ranger that it should be open within 7-10 days. All of the Conejo open space is available for riding above Dos Vientos.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I was told by the ranger that it should be open within 7-10 days. All of the Conejo open space is available for riding above Dos Vientos.
    Ahh good call, didnt even think of that. Have never ridden over there, I hear its a Cluster F of a trail network.

Team Fearless Descender

Cool info. I want to go ride it and see it! Could make for some unique riding photographs!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

King of Middle Earth
    Don't forget to wear your doctor's masks if you ride in the burn area. Unless you want to inhale a bunch of fine ash dust.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast