mtbr member

Sycamore Canyon is burning.

It's burning at PCH. That's sad, it's a very nice place to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just spoke to park rangers and it's burnt all the way to wood canyon. All the ST is burnt. They said the trails shouldn't be closed for too long.

mtbr member

Just rode there on Monday. Kind of sad!

mtbr member
    man I'm glad I got in one last ride there last sunday.
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member

Pictures of deer running scared, people rescuing bunnies... I feel a really weird connection I didn't expect.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    I was thinking about that when I heard the news. When we lived in Ventura we used to ride there all the time, such a beautiful spot. Hopefully it recovers quickly.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbbikerider View Post
    Just spoke to park rangers and it's burnt all the way to wood canyon. All the ST is burnt. They said the trails shouldn't be closed for too long.
    glad to hear they think it wont be too bad. i remember after the last fire the section of backbone into the cyn looked like a moonscape. i wonder if guadalasca burnt too...one of my favorite st for sure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Hopefully it recovers quickly.
    It will. In October of '05 when the big fire burned through the ranch I grew up on in Simi Valley, It grew back pretty quick. It was actually good for the land to burn off all that old growth.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    man I'm glad I got in one last ride there last sunday.
    Here is what it looked like two weeks ago (April 21). This is in the upper canyon area.

"...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    There's so much smoke in Simi Valley right now, that if I look to the mountains on the south side, I can't see them.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Southern California chapparal generally recovers pretty quickly after the fires. Let's not forget that Sycamore Canyon burned completely in the 90's and look what it turned into in 20 years.

I live in in San Diego now and we've had arguably some of the worst fires in the state in the 2000's and all of those fires touched heavily ridden areas. some of them were flush with grasses and flowers within months. the sage and other trees take a tad longer but they come back. it's only the big trees that can't grow quickly, obviously and even then, depending on how fast the fire moves, the trees may not even die.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider View Post
    Southern California chapparal generally recovers pretty quickly after the fires. Let's not forget that Sycamore Canyon burned completely in the 90's and look what it turned into in 20 years.

I live in in San Diego now and we've had arguably some of the worst fires in the state in the 2000's and all of those fires touched heavily ridden areas. some of them were flush with grasses and flowers within months. the sage and other trees take a tad longer but they come back. it's only the big trees that can't grow quickly, obviously and even then, depending on how fast the fire moves, the trees may not even die.
    I'm gonna be waaaay to old to ride any trails in 20 years. Think I'll go through there in a few months with lots of Miracle Grow.

Gotta pay to play
    All of Sycamore burned bad when I was in Highschool- 95 or 96 I think. Next year everything but the trees were back and super green- looked great. Right after the fires hiking and biking was pretty fun because the terrain looked so cool.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was hoping Hell Hill would shrink down a bit after all that fire... Joking aside, Sycamore is my go-to trail. It just sucks that fire had to happen...

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Sycamore Canyon is burning.

Chapparal loves fire. It needs to burn every so often so that it doesn't get out of hand all at once.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    All of Sycamore burned bad when I was in Highschool- 95 or 96 I think. Next year everything but the trees were back and super green- looked great. Right after the fires hiking and biking was pretty fun because the terrain looked so cool.
    Thanks for this perspective. It's made me feel a tad better.

With the high winds, it wouldn't surprise me to see the trees back soon rather than later. Sycamore was looking beautiful last week...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Wow, that's really sad.
    I rode a lot in this area in 2010. Here's a video I took back then:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNbNF0r7SMo

Hope can ride there when I'm back this autumn.

mtbr member
    I wonder if it burned all the way from the Wendy/Potrero area (where the paved down hill path starts) down to the beach?

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    I heard on the news this morning that 44 square miles burn't and they do not think there was any foul play in the starting of this fire.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Safety third
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Chapparal loves fire. It needs to burn every so often so that it doesn't get out of hand all at once.
    Well, kinda...

This is actually coastal sage scrub (similar to chapparal), and it will tolerate fire. But if fires come repeatedly at less than 20-year intervals, the natives stop bouncing back, and it turns into a sea of mustard and thistle. Look at Chino Hills for a great example.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes". Just say eff no.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Any indication of when the park will reopen? I want in on that rattlesnake-free Mars Hero Dirt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by duderidesabike View Post
    Any indication of when the park will reopen? I want in on that rattlesnake-free Mars Hero Dirt.
    I was told by the ranger that it should be open within 7-10 days. All of the Conejo open space is available for riding above Dos Vientos.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I was told by the ranger that it should be open within 7-10 days. All of the Conejo open space is available for riding above Dos Vientos.
    Ahh good call, didnt even think of that. Have never ridden over there, I hear its a Cluster F of a trail network.

Team Fearless Descender

Cool info. I want to go ride it and see it! Could make for some unique riding photographs!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Don't forget to wear your doctor's masks if you ride in the burn area. Unless you want to inhale a bunch of fine ash dust.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    I was up there with CORBA repairing drainages on a section of the backbone trail just a few weeks ago. Then reading about the fires happening in days past and it's really kindof a heavy blow to think about. Driving through where the fire started on a way to a race in Buellton was very sad as well.
    2014 Felt Compulsion LT3
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    1994 Cannondale M400

mtbr member
    Anyone been out to Pt Mugu/Sycamore Canyon since the fire? I'm sure it's toast, but I'm curious what it looks like now and when we might be able to do some trail work and/or riding.

mtbr member
    I was just at PCH and Sycamore Cyn. about an hour ago. It looks like anything that was a plant burned. Even the vegetation on the cliffs burned.

mtbr member
    Bummer, but that brush needed a good cleaning I guess...

Thank you for the update!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Helicopters are still working in the northern and eastern reaches of the park. Hazard assessments are nowhere near complete. If the fire had been a hot one, trees would have burned out and nothing but the stumps would be left (and still burning underground), but the fire was cool and slow-moving so there are a lot of damaged but not downed trees. The park estimates they'll re-open campgrounds and parking areas next to PCH on or around Tuesday, May 21. I don't see how they can possibly make that timeline for re-opening trails beyond the parking lots, they just don't have the money to get the needed staff out into the backcountry. Park info can be had at (310) 457-8143.

Edit: As of this morning, signboards along Potrero say the trails will re-open May 24.
    Last edited by ScottR1; 05-12-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: updated opening date

mtbr member
    May 2010
    National Park Service To Re-Open Additional Trails Tuesday

Date: May 13, 2013

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. - Now that the 24,000-acre Springs Fire is officially controlled, the National Park Service will re-open trails on the western side of the Santa Monica Mountains Tuesday morning, with restrictions.

Rancho Sierra Vista in Newbury Park will partially re-open, but some trails will remain off-limits and the park will close from sunset to sunrise. Due to ongoing safety concerns and trail damage, visitors won't be able to travel into Sycamore Canyon, but will be able to reach the overlook at the boundary with Point Mugu State Park.

The Sandstone Peak and Mishe Mokwa trailheads will also re-open, as will the Backbone Trail east of the Point Mugu State Park boundary. California State Parks land sustained severe fire damage and all backcountry trails in the area remain closed.

"We know the public is anxious to return to their neighborhood national park," said David Szymanski, superintendent of Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area. "We're working as hard as we can to balance that enthusiasm with visitor safety and protection of our natural and cultural resources."

Visitors are encouraged to help nature recover from the fire by respecting trail closures and staying on the trail in areas that are open. Foot and bike traffic tramples sensitive soil, vegetation, burrows and nests.

Park officials estimate 70% of Rancho Sierra Vista's 1170 acres burned during the fire, though the Satwiwa Native American Indian Culture Center and all other structures were protected.

More information is available at 805-370-2301.

Source: National Park Service To Re-Open Additional Trails Tuesday - Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Here's video of my ride last weekend through Sycamore Canyon, if you'd like to see how it looks. I can sum it up as it burned.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7tzxTUD6MFc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Great video!!! Haven't ridden there since the fire... Was suppose to ride there today, but got hung... I'll have to try and check it out tomorrow at lunch...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Which one? SD or Riverside?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: Sycamore Canyon is burning.

Riverside
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canaan View Post
    Which one? SD or Riverside?
    The one in SD. In fact, it's close to your house, better get out while you can.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Wrong people, it was Sycamore Canyon in Point Mugu State park in Ventura County. Hoping you were joking that you didn't really know. Otherwise scary.

mtbr member
    Wrong people, it was Sycamore Canyon in Point Mugu State park in Ventura County. Hoping you were joking that you didn't really know. Otherwise scary.
    Don't joke about it being in Ventura. He's going to be sitting there thinking his trail is fine and then it's going to be toast when he rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    Don't joke about it being in Ventura. He's going to be sitting there thinking his trail is fine and then it's going to be toast when he rides.
    Hey Cracker Jack, it was in Ventura.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Hey Cracker Jack, it was in Ventura.
    No sh.. Sherlock. I was attempting to kind of continue the joke.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The one in SD. In fact, it's close to your house, better get out while you can.
    The Cedar Fire came within 100 yards of my house so that kind of changed my definition of "close."

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Hold on?! There's a fire in Sycamore? Crap, which one and how big is it now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    No sh.. Sherlock. I was attempting to kind of continue the joke.
    Dang, I missed that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canaan View Post
    The Cedar Fire came within 100 yards of my house so that kind of changed my definition of "close."
    My definition of close is different. In '03 the 107,000 acre fire that burned in Simi Valley, burned through the 1500 acre ranch that I grew up on. I was in and out of the canyon all day checking on the progress. The last time I went up I took my best friend with me. We went to a neighbors ranch to get closer. My neighbor came down in a quad and told me to go home, because it was already coming in our ranch from the north end from a different direction. So we went in a 4x to check it out. If was burning in an oak grove, we were a couple hundred yards away and it was hotter then hell. I had never been so scared before. I decided we better get back out in case we had a break down or something. We went back to the main house and waited. My friend stayed with us for the next day and a half to fight the fire. He's a city guy, but he worked hard and never complained. The fire didn't burn any structures, our animals or anything of value. But it pretty much burned everything else. That was the second big fire to burn through in my life time. There have been 6 or 7 small fires on the ranch. I was to young to stay for the first big one. This fire burned slow. It took a long time to burn through the ranch. My dad said the first one was more of a fire storm. He said it only took minutes to burn through. He and the fire fighters had to dive into cars with fire blankets when it came. He said they didn't think they were going to make it. That's the way my dad was. He would never leave, no matter what. The fires have been experiences that I will never forget. I'll tell more stories latter. I'm watching the ponies at Hollywood Park right now.

mtbr member
    Dang, I missed that!
    It's getting really hard to tell where the sarcasm starts and stops.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Did a Guadalasca run yesterday. They've got a Sweco trail dozer that is making its way down the trail. I'm afraid that Guadalasca will no longer be a singletrack when there done...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Here's a couple of pict's of the Sweco SWECO 480 Trail Dozer at the PTBA Show 2011 - YouTube

Climber
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mdemm View Post
    Did a Guadalasca run yesterday. They've got a Sweco trail dozer that is making its way down the trail. I'm afraid that Guadalasca will no longer be a singletrack when there done...
    Information on the trail work;
    Guadalasca rejuvenation started on June 12th

mtbr member

If CORBA is behind it, I'm cool with it. The justification in that article regarding the rut is spot on.