Thread: Sycamore Canyon

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Sycamore Canyon

If your riding Sycamore Canyon any time soon, watch out for the bee hive/swarm of bees on Martha's Grove. My brother and I were out there yesterday and rode through a swarm of bees about 100 yards into Martha's Grove (right where it starts to get rocky and downhill). We were lucky that that we weren't stung. Just a heads up!

mtbr member
    May 2007

It Figures

I was having enough trouble with the first rocky section and now I will be spitting bees out of my mouth as I go down the trail.......

Actually, kind of wondering if this was just a passing swarm since I was there recently and did not notice any bees. I have been riding several times at other places when a huge swarm of bees flew by.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i just got back from Sycamore. as far as i could tell, martha's was clear of any bees

BMF
    Oct 2007
    A bee hive is nothing to worry about when you are passing by. A swarm happens from time to time when you are passing, not much you can do except hammer through it and keep your mouth closed!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Ahhh, reminds me of riding SJT and descending with my mouth wide open. Small hornet flew straight into the back of my throat, grabbed hold with his legs (while I began to gag and try to hack him out) and proceeded to stick his barb in me. The panic that ensued was quite interesting from what my riding buddy told me. I thankfully hacked him out and was MOST fortunate that I was not allergic, because my bud told me he started thinking of tools in his camel bak he could use to poke a hole in my throat if my esophagus swelled shut. He then showed me what he decided on.... a rusty pair of needle-nose pliers!!

I always keep my mouth closed on descents, and if my mouth happens to be open, you will see nothing but clinched pearly whites.
    Last edited by Zonacat; 03-28-2008 at 11:59 PM.

Liaison

Don't forget the poison oak

I live down by Santee Lakes and I've seen/heard bees going by for the last couple weeks.

The nasty thing I've seen in Sycamore lately are what are becoming pretty big poison oak plants. A bunch south of the bench in Martha's and some as far south as Race Track. A couple big ones just north of where Race Track meets back with the fire road. Remember, "Leaves of three, let it be." The ones I've seen are mostly red leaves.
    SDMBA Liaison, Sycamore Canyon/Goodan Ranch Open Space Preserves