Soy Chingon

Sycamore Canyon???

How are the trails in Sycamore Canyon in San Diego County. I heard they were a lot of fun. I wanted to get more input before I head out there. I mostly ride Cross Country and I like technical stuff,
    Soy Chingon

mtbr member

Rode there in August

I entered from the Santee Lakes side and it has a ton of paralell trail options weaving on eather side of the main trail going in, but I only rode in past the ranch house to the main intersection then took one of the parelell trails back to the start. I didn't see much technical challenge there but it was only one short ride. Accross the road at Mission trails there is some good XC but the only real challenge I found was Climbing up to the saddle between N and S Fortuna mountain and heading up towards the N peak; once over the top there is some tough technical trail heading towards the freeway. Once again I have limited time in Mission trails, 7 or 8 rides so I'm sure theres some fun stuff I've missed.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Rode there about 3 weeks ago. Trails are all good. not very technical but there is alot of fun singletrack to be had. the north end near the parking lot has a steep downhill section which takes you down to Marthas Grove which is singletrack with some creek crossings. the south end can get quite sandy near the creek bed so try to stay up on the sides. We had a little rain so the trails are really nice right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've been riding there on Saturdays for the past 3 weeks. Started on the Poway side the last 2 time and the 1st time was from Mast Blvd. From Mast, it's an 18mile trip to the poway side parking lot, nice lil DH section that is fun to session then drops down to the creek and ride in and out of the creek beds. There's ALOT of single tracks off the main fire roads. We like to park up in poway and session the DH section and drop in to the creek and make a right at the fireroad intersection then back up to the parking lot to do ita over again and much faster. This is about 3.5 mile loop done in around 20 minutes per lap. Dedicate at least 3 hours to riding there to get to know some of the trails. Look for single tracks and other bikers to follow. On the south side of the farm house, the trail get fun, single track snakes though the creek bottom tree. There are a few creek crossing (dry) which has small drop off into the creek bed. Theres still alot more trails that I've yet to explore. The place is very diverse. You can climb up the ridges and rewarded with some sweet and fast DH section. Place flows really nice. Last weekend I heard there is a motorcross section near mast that has HUGE jumps and drop offs. I don't know their exact location...yet but the guy that told us said they are really fun and smooth landings.

We might be going there this saturday around 8-9am if you want to tag along. Prolly start from Poway side since it's alot less drive for us.

Soy Chingon
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone
    I've been riding there on Saturdays for the past 3 weeks. Started on the Poway side the last 2 time and the 1st time was from Mast Blvd. From Mast, it's an 18mile trip to the poway side parking lot, nice lil DH section that is fun to session then drops down to the creek and ride in and out of the creek beds. There's ALOT of single tracks off the main fire roads. We like to park up in poway and session the DH section and drop in to the creek and make a right at the fireroad intersection then back up to the parking lot to do ita over again and much faster. This is about 3.5 mile loop done in around 20 minutes per lap. Dedicate at least 3 hours to riding there to get to know some of the trails. Look for single tracks and other bikers to follow. On the south side of the farm house, the trail get fun, single track snakes though the creek bottom tree. There are a few creek crossing (dry) which has small drop off into the creek bed. Theres still alot more trails that I've yet to explore. The place is very diverse. You can climb up the ridges and rewarded with some sweet and fast DH section. Place flows really nice. Last weekend I heard there is a motorcross section near mast that has HUGE jumps and drop offs. I don't know their exact location...yet but the guy that told us said they are really fun and smooth landings.

We might be going there this saturday around 8-9am if you want to tag along. Prolly start from Poway side since it's alot less drive for us.
    Thanks for your input. I'm heading out there around noon on Saturday. I'm a bartender so mornings are tough for me. I'm looking forward to getting to know the area.

Have a great ride
    Last edited by gallorody; 11-09-2005 at 12:52 AM. Reason: spelling
    Soy Chingon

Silence and Thunder...
    The last few times I checked the south entrance (off of Mast by Santee Lakes), the military had it all closed off. The last time was a month or so ago. Have they re-opened access there or are you jumping the fence?
    ...every day sends future to past...

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

park at the high school

and take the ST that runs behind the houses. it connects with the same area off of Medina that most people used to park at. it adds about 2 miles to the overall ride.

YR

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    when you head out there, there's a main fireroad that runs through the canyon. but, there are two ST trails that parallel the main fireroad on either side of it for several miles. you definately want to be on these and not the main fireroad.

it may be a bit confusing the first time out but you'll see the trails eventually and pick them up.

YR

Silence and Thunder...
    When was the last time you were there? That's exactly where I'm talking about being fenced off...sealed...closed... new chain-link w/ big signs every twenty feet saying "stay the f.... out!"...???
    But it's been a month or so since I was last out there. hmmm...maybe it's time to check it out again.
    That was a very fun trail out n back.

ISO Gems...
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    When was the last time you were there? That's exactly where I'm talking about being fenced off...sealed...closed... new chain-link w/ big signs every twenty feet saying "stay the f.... out!"...???
    But it's been a month or so since I was last out there. hmmm...maybe it's time to check it out again.
    That was a very fun trail out n back.

Hey xjbebop,

Was there this Sat evening... all we did was park in the dirt lot east of the West HIlls HS.
    rode the bikes right across Mast and entered where the white wood fence is almost directly across from the dirt lot. From there it's pretty self explanatory.

D

Silence and Thunder...

... and if we just ...

Good news! Sounds like the fencing is down now.
    Now I just gotta find the time to get over there myself soon...
    Thanks!

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    Good news! Sounds like the fencing is down now.
    Now I just gotta find the time to get over there myself soon...
    Thanks!
    The fencing along Medina is still there, but there is no fencing along Mast.