Just another Homer

A Super Shuttle day

Cut & pasted from SoCalTrailRiders.com

We had been talking about this ride for a couple years or 3. The ride consisted of a long shuttle run. Starting at Mt Hilyer I belive and continuing all the way to the bottom of Chantry in Sierra Madre (Monrovia). Well, we finally got it together. We had a decent size group for the ride with a few guys who post here (ST Junkie, and mtb Maven ) I can't give you all the names for the places we went thru, but they were many and it was a true epic ride.We ended up with some bail out options that was taken by half the group. The first 18 miles took 5 hours while the second half took 3. For the most part we came down the Silver Moccasin Trail which is one of the best the San Gabriels has to offer. This is for the most part a technical trial that will test your skills in a number of places. We then hit a few more places like Shortcut Cyn along with a jaunt up to Newcombe Pass followed by a wicked descent down into Chantry. At this location the sun was going in and out behind the ridges and made for some difficult riding for me because of the shadows. I have pretty bad eyesight in these conditions. At one point I managed to go down and tear a pretty good gash in my forearm and ended up with 8 stitches. But this was one hella ride. Total miles were 38 and I believe we cilmbed 4800 feet and descended over 8,000. I had a blast and I would love to do this one on a regular annual ride. Total time though would have to be different as with the shuttling and all I didn't get home till after 9 pm and then had to go to the hospital till 2 am. Long day, but a very memorable one. Maybe one of the others can fill in the details a little better.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I rode the Silver Moccasin once from Chilao to Mt. Wilson. We intended to decend basically like you did (I think we had plans to go down Rattlesnake Canyon), however, we were running out of daylight, so we wisely went down the Mount Wilson Toll Road (fire road). Someday, I would like to complete that ride. You must have had a good time if you got stitched up and still want to go back for more!

Just another Homer

Again?Not for the squeamish.

Yep in a heartbeat. I really liked that ride. Here's my owie:

Toby Keith

Believer in Darwin

Saw Ya

I think I saw you and your group at the top of Mt. Hilyer Pain Freak. Me and my two friends stopped at the top after the switchbacks to catch a break and enjoy the vistas. We sat on the rocks while all of you tooled around on that little rock roll over.
    It was really nice out there Saturday, couldn't ask for much more.
    paz afuera

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak
    Yep in a heartbeat. I really liked that ride. Here's my owie:

XC just lacks the vibrant colors found in shutlling .

Ouch , hope you are good to go for more .
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Pain...Dusty & I did from the same starting point (backside of Hilyer) down Silver Mocasin, down an unnamed fire break from the Lookout, up the road to Red Box and down to JPL - would have been great except the Gab trail is mostly gone below Switzers....if I did it again I'd either park the car at Switzers, or climb up to Lowe and head down Lowe trail etc. to get down...

nice gash on the arm - none of you carry a first-aid kit?

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Quote Originally Posted by papisimo11
    We sat on the rocks while all of you tooled around on that little rock roll over.
    You mean this rock

Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    none of you carry a first-aid kit?
    Yeah I had a first aid kit. Unfortunately no pictures of the bandaged arm. I used a full roll of gauze and duct tape to keep it on. My little kit comes in handy again.

Just another Homer

Yeah

You flew up that switchback where the other guys following you were working really hard. You made that look easy. I've never made it, yet. Sorry I didn't introduce us, as I'm usually very talkitive out there and will introduce myself. I think I was thinking of all the miles left to go and why were we playing around here on this rock? Mtbfiend was complimented by the nurse who took off his bandage, about what a good job it was, duct tape and all.
    Toby Keith

Believer in Darwin

Your

bike was one I recognized after I saw it on socalmtb. I wasn't too sure it was you, but I figured it was. Nice bike by the way. I am sure that ride put it to the test.
    The switchback isn't as bad if you save a little energy for it while climbing that soft singletrack before it comes up.
    I can't wait to get back out there. I am tryin to put together a real epic ala SM 100.
    paz afuera

Just another Homer
    Yeah,
    I've been trying to follow that idea. I've rode some in the SM's and do like the riding there. My problem is I don't think I'm fast enough to get it done, but I'd still like to try. I've done the Brian Head 100 and I've rode a lot of double centuries on the road, but I can take my time and recover on the road, where mtb'ing doesn't always give you that opportunity. I can ride all day, but I'm a little on the slower side.But usually after 8 to 10 hours of riding I find myself towards the front, so maybe I'm not that slow or I just don't tire as easily??? Still if you do get this together, I'd love to try it with you guys.
    Toby Keith