born to chill

Sunset Ridge pix

Man this forum needs some more posts. Anyway, nothing wild, just warming up after a winter off the bikes.

Rider is Bruno Lucioni aka dh4ever2006
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

[paste title here]
    Sweet pics. What trail it this anyways?
    Keep Pedaling

Bruin Cycling

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Sunset Ridge

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerdude87
    Sweet pics. What trail it this anyways?
    The trail is Sunset Ridege. It can be combined with Lower Merrils, Middle Merrils and El Prieto to JPL to create a greate 23-25 mile loop. This is a great local SOCAL trail.

keep the shiny side up!
    sunset is a great trail. it has gotten a lot easier in the last few years, but still very challenging. that loop riding up lower merrill to inspiration, down middle to sunset and across to el prieto is probably one of the best loops. you get tons and tons of great singletrack! great pics!

born to chill
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat_Head
    sunset is a great trail. it has gotten a lot easier in the last few years, but still very challenging. that loop riding up lower merrill to inspiration, down middle to sunset and across to el prieto is probably one of the best loops. you get tons and tons of great singletrack! great pics!
    Thanks. Yeah there are some great connecting trails in that whole area, lots of fun singletrack. We're going to potentially try to hit La Tuna tomorrow, I'll try to get more/better pictures this time. Unless we do a night ride.

Merrrrjig
    Jan 2004
    where is sunset trail?

born to chill
    Quote Originally Posted by merrrrjig
    where is sunset trail?
    Go all the way up Lake Ave. in Pasadena and make a left, then keep going all the way to a yellow flashing light and turn right. Go all the way up the paved road and park at the top next to a white gate. (San Merril Trail)

Ride asphalt on the way up (aprox 40 mins) You'll eventually come around a bend where there are a couple trees, with a very clear singletrack to your left and a trail marker sign.

We're going to hit it again Sat morning, not sure when. Let me know if you want to go, there are three of us so far.

Merrrrjig
    Jan 2004
    sorry thats too far. I live in south OC

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by merrrrjig
    sorry thats too far. I live in south OC
    Climb Sam Merril and then drop Sunset, Millard and El Prieto (or Ken Burton) and it'll be well worth the drive.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    Climb Sam Merril and then drop Sunset, Millard and El Prieto (or Ken Burton) and it'll be well worth the drive.
    What in the world is your avatar?

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    What in the world is your avatar?

He's a deep sea octopus that I saw on a PBS special. Strange huh?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flowmaster
    Go all the way up Lake Ave. in Pasadena and make a left, then keep going all the way to a yellow flashing light and turn right. Go all the way up the paved road and park at the top next to a white gate. (San Merril Trail)

Ride asphalt on the way up (aprox 40 mins) You'll eventually come around a bend where there are a couple trees, with a very clear singletrack to your left and a trail marker sign.

We're going to hit it again Sat morning, not sure when. Let me know if you want to go, there are three of us so far.
    Can Sunset be ridden as a loop itself? I moved to so cal from the bay area last year, and so far haven't been able to find any really good rides. I know they're out there, but between my lack of knowledge of the surrounding areas and work it's been hard to do any exploring.

I hear a lot about the riding in and around Pasadena. It's not too far from me, Sherman Oaks. Can you point me in the right direction to find some good trails in the area, like Sunset Ridge? I'm not asking for you to divulge all your secrets, but just a good starting point for me to explore on my own. Thanks for any help!!

keep the shiny side up!
    to ride sunset by itself take the 134 east to the 210 east and exit lake ave.
    (i am gonna steal flowmasters directions)
    Go all the way up Lake Ave. in Pasadena and make a left, then keep going all the way to a yellow flashing light (chaney) and turn right. Go all the way up the paved road and park at the top next to a white gate. (San Merril Trail)

born to chill
    Quote Originally Posted by Craw
    Can Sunset be ridden as a loop itself? I moved to so cal from the bay area last year, and so far haven't been able to find any really good rides. I know they're out there, but between my lack of knowledge of the surrounding areas and work it's been hard to do any exploring.

I hear a lot about the riding in and around Pasadena. It's not too far from me, Sherman Oaks. Can you point me in the right direction to find some good trails in the area, like Sunset Ridge? I'm not asking for you to divulge all your secrets, but just a good starting point for me to explore on my own. Thanks for any help!!
    Also check out this site http://www.mybikesite.com/trails/tra...?la_,socal,n,n for a list of trails. Actually I used to live up in the bay area too (east bay) you ever ride out at Morgan territory?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flowmaster
    Also check out this site http://www.mybikesite.com/trails/tra...?la_,socal,n,n for a list of trails. Actually I used to live up in the bay area too (east bay) you ever ride out at Morgan territory?
    I lived in the East Bay too. I rode a lot in Shell Ridge, also Devil's Elbow on Diablo. But then I moved to SF, and rode Crack and all those pretty much all the time. I miss the riding up there, and the snowboarding in Tahoe.

I guess this is funny: I thought I was in pretty good shape when I moved down here, but I noticed after a whjle, I started wheezing during rides. So I go to the doctor, and all he does is look at my records, and says "You're not from around here. The air here isn't as good as where you're from. You're lungs are just getting used to it."

So I don't know whether I should be glad that I'm not wheezing anymore because I'm used to the air, or if I should be sad because my lungs are tainted.