Big Hittin'

Sullivan/Topanga Riders...is this a good trail?

so im planning on doin this ride this weekend. i only know my way around sullivan and looking to expand.

what do you think of this ride? i did this just by looking at google maps. is the single track off e topanaga fire rd any good?

Sullivan to Topanga - Google Maps
    29er's are Goofy

b a n n e d
    I'm not 100% as I've never gone towards Topanga from the Hub, but I'm fairly certain that what you've mapped out is almost entirely fire road. I know that there are sections of single-track over that way, but I'm just not sure where to get to them.

Have you ridden the Backbone trail from Kanan yet?

Big Hittin'
    well if you zoom in close and follow the trail, my lines shoot off the fire rd in some sections that i can se single track.

im basically expanding my horizons here.

How is the backbone trail? any good?
    29er's are Goofy

Big Hittin'
    looking at the map. is there anyway to connect the backbone trail back to the sullivan canyon trail head?

this way i can make a loop and not need 2 cars.
    29er's are Goofy

official eMpTyBRain
    Have you ridden Farmers/Bent Arrow 1, Bent Arrow 2, Caballero, or Will Rogers Backbone? Those are ST sections between Sullivan and Topanga...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nokfir2 View Post
    looking at the map. is there anyway to connect the backbone trail back to the sullivan canyon trail head?

this way i can make a loop and not need 2 cars.
    To get back to the canyon trailhead the easiest way is probably to ride up Sunset a block from Will Roger's park (at the end of Backbone) to Amalfi, then hop on Sullivan ridge and take Squirrel cage. Every time I've done that part of backbone I just park at the Sullivan ridge trailhead instead.

I'm actually down for that ride this weekend if I can get my bike fixed by then.

Big Hittin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Have you ridden Farmers/Bent Arrow 1, Bent Arrow 2, Caballero, or Will Rogers Backbone? Those are ST sections between Sullivan and Topanga...
    Yea i have ridden broken arrow.

i put that in the map. my usually ride is sullivan canyon to broken arrow, then down sullivan ridge.
    29er's are Goofy

Big Hittin'
    is the backbone trail singletrack?
    29er's are Goofy

b a n n e d
    is the backbone trail singletrack?
    Yes, and its a great trail. You could definitely make a great loop . . . up Sully Canyon, across Bent Arrow 1 and 2, mulholland to the hub, down WR Backbone, up sully ridge to squirrel cage to drop back into sully canyon. Rinse and repeat.

Take PerfectZero with you . . . he know's the way. I'd go too, but I will be out of town until Monday.

Where else have you explored around here?

Big Hittin'
    just basically sullivan
    29er's are Goofy

Big Hittin'
    Does anyone know where J drop is?

appraently it connects backbone/will rogers to sullivan (camp Josepho)

J Drop on pinkbike.com

29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's another way to go from backbone to the ridge. I want to say its a mile(?) maybe more from will rogers park. Looks like its in good shape in the vid, haven't ridden it in a long time.

Big Hittin'
    can you point it out on google maps?

this would be perfect to connect the 2 trails....plus it looks badass.
    29er's are Goofy

b a n n e d
    I took J-Drop about a year ago and it was really difficult to ride in most spots. Some of the ruts came over the top tube. Plus I was covered in ticks when I got back to the ridge.

In that vid, it doesn't look nearly as bad, though I wonder when it was filmed. I should take a run through it and see . . .

Edit: its hard to find . . . basically, its after the bridge but before you descend into the park. A little off-shoot to the left (towards the ridge, duh). I looked on google maps, but I can't readily identify it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I took J-Drop about a year ago and it was really difficult to ride in most spots. Some of the ruts came over the top tube. Plus I was covered in ticks when I got back to the ridge.

In that vid, it doesn't look nearly as bad, though I wonder when it was filmed. I should take a run through it and see . . .

Edit: its hard to find . . . basically, its after the bridge but before you descend into the park. A little off-shoot to the left (towards the ridge, duh). I looked on google maps, but I can't readily identify it.
    Based on the trail condition, I'd say that video was shot fairly recently.

In my opinion, the entrance to J-Drop from Backbone is very obvious. If you're descending Backbone, it's before the bridge, not after. J-Drop branches left about an eighth of a mile before you reach Chicken Point (the overlook spot you ride by before making a couple switchbacks and descending the short, chunky section down to the bridge.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This GPS track includes Will Rogers to J-drop to squirrel cage to sulivan canyon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Nice vid, guy has skill. Can you guys clean those switchbacks near the bottom? The guy in the vid went through fast, couldn't tell if he dabbed. I have to ride my top tube through them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JimN View Post
    J-Drop branches left about an eighth of a mile before you reach Chicken Point (the overlook spot you ride by before making a couple switchbacks and descending the short, chunky section down to the bridge.)
    that section of trail is wrecked from guys dragging their rear tires down the trail. just sayin'.

hikers see that and tell the rangers. I know that for a fact.

if you do ride it, do it on the down low and don't skid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    J drop is as gnarly as I've ever seen it. For me its about 70% rideable, 30% hike-a-bike...sometimes...
    I wouldn't let the gnar factor discourage you though - it's pretty short and I know riders that walk most of it. And Rustic canyon is so scenic its worth it.

Big Hittin'
    Sullivan To Backbone - Google Maps

Heres the trail i will ride sat with a buddy. were gunna leave a car at WR park and a car at sullivan. if we can find jdrop well head down it. otherwise we will just end at WR.
    29er's are Goofy

Team Fearless Descender
    Sullivan To Backbone - Google Maps

Heres the trail i will ride sat with a buddy. were gunna leave a car at WR park and a car at sullivan. if we can find jdrop well head down it. otherwise we will just end at WR.
    You'll see it (J-DROP) as many have told you. Just remember, you've been coming down Backbone for several miles, having a blast, with a big smile on your face. But, this too must come to an end, and the trail turns upward. Just keep watching to your left, its really the only trail you can take, other than staying on Backbone. The entry or top of J-Drop looks about as pleasant as any other trail, but once you get into it you'll see! Knar in my book, no doubt. Heck, even walking a few sections (5 - 10 feet) is a bit tuff!

We ride your loop all the time (not often taking J-Drop), popping out in Will Rodgers, but we just ride back to the car. We park at Amalfi and Capri. If you do this loop you are in for about 19 / 20 mi total.

Have fun!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Was in there today. J-drop was a huge mess. Not that I could ride all of it in any condition, but some of the ruts are so deep that they are basically unrideable. The parts that are rideable, in principle, are and likely always will be beyond my skill level.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The guy in the video has skills...... I think it was made early (Dec) last winter. I remember the downed tree. I went otb last weekend on J-drop. Still cleared almost everything. I had to walk the first big drop after I crashed. I was still a little wigged out......I should have walked more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    the really gnarly section is at the 2 min mark. rocky and steep but the dude bombs it, which really is the only thing you can do there. looks like he almost loses it. too much for me.