b a n n e d

Sullivan Ridge / Sullivan Canyon

What's the status on the Ridge/Canyon? Are they rideable?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The ridge is rideable. I rode it this morning while there were still two fire trucks and 5-6 crew on site. The burn abuts the road for a short distance, but the road is perfectly passable. There was a road closed sign on the edge of the paved road down near Casale as it turns into Sullivan Ridge Fire Road, but being off to the side it wasn't clear if it was really closed, and nobody seemed to be giving it any thought.

I have no idea on the canyon road, but the fire was supposed to be only 7 acres, so I'm not sure it even got down to the canyon.

mtbr member
    wth, when was there a fire?
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    Yeah, I think it was Friday? We could see the smoke from my office in El Segundo and it looked like it was around that area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There were 2 fires - one in Rustic Canyon (that may have affected Sullivan Ridge), and another in the Sepulveda Pass near the Getty. The one in Rustic Canyon was apparently very small and put out quickly.

b a n n e d
    Cool, thanks. I plan to check it out this week . . . will report back.

mtbr member
    time to make all the jumps on Jedi 2x bigger than current.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    As mentioned by OneTimeCRX, the first fire was near Sepulveda Pass. As that one was getting mopped up, the second fire started. It was reported at 12:28pm Saturday. Although news reports say Rustic Canyon, it appears to pretty much be on Sullivan Ridge and then heading down into Sullivan Canyon. It barely burned the west side of Sullivan Ridge, which could be considered Rustic Canyon.

mtbr member
    thats so weird, my office looks right at sulli ridge and i never saw anything, i need to quit working so hard and start screwing off more. where about on Sulli, and has anybody mentioned cause? thanks, glad it was put out so quickly!
    Last edited by 2w4s; 09-19-2012 at 01:13 AM.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I cringe every time I think about going riding on the ridge during this heat wave... I can't imagine how tough it was for the fire fighters who had to wear all that gear and face fires in addition to the hot temps.

b a n n e d
    Rode the ridge and the canyon tonight. There's a small burn area right on the ridge, down to the pavement, but its completely passable and the canyon is not affected at all.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the update!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Any updates?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wpickensjr View Post
    Any updates?
    Yeah, expect a Sullivan Canyon closure (or at least partial closure) soon:

More Work Taking Place in Sullivan Canyon Starting Early October

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by JimN View Post
    Yeah, expect a Sullivan Canyon closure (or at least partial closure) soon:

More Work Taking Place in Sullivan Canyon Starting Early October
    Well that downright blows, eh? Looks like I'm headed up tonight for sure then!

JimN, you interested?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post

JimN, you interested?
    See you at Capri and Amalfi around 6:45 PM.

Gonna have to start hitting the Westridge Singletrack as a way back down on weeknight rides - should still be able to finish off with the Horse Trail down to Old Ranch Road.

mtbr member
    might try to meet you guys if I can battle my way through traffic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

JimN, you interested?
    Let us know if the Gas Co has started closing any sections already... I hope to make it up there on friday and hope it's still open.

I really hope they don't touch the singletrack. The fireroad area was just starting to get fun too, but I guess they have to do what they have to do.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by JimN View Post
    See you at Capri and Amalfi around 6:45 PM.

Gonna have to start hitting the Westridge Singletrack as a way back down on weeknight rides - should still be able to finish off with the Horse Trail down to Old Ranch Road.
    Or just do WR Backbone

(I keed, I keed!)

Hello
    Take pictures if you can!

sent from my rotary phone

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTimeCRX View Post
    Let us know if the Gas Co has started closing any sections already... I hope to make it up there on friday and hope it's still open.

I really hope they don't touch the singletrack. The fireroad area was just starting to get fun too, but I guess they have to do what they have to do.
    Trail was 100% wide open tonight . . . had a great run.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the update!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    They're all good and open. You can see the burn area once you head west on lower Bayliss. have at it.

Gor'n Ridin'!

Cyclist Crash

Anyone know anything about the auto/cyclist accident that happened up there on October 9?

mtbr member
    Rode down the canyon last night. They're starting to work on the fireroad and pretty much all of the fun parts of that are gone. The single track hasn't been touched.

b a n n e d
    I bet I saw you down there last night! I was riding the ridge and saw some lights down in the Canyon. I was tempted to run down through the canyon like I usually do, but being alone and uncertain of what I'd encounter construction wise, I chose to play it safe and stay on the ridge.

Do you normally ride wedensday nights? If so, lets connect up. I ride almost every wednesday.

mtbr member
    A small group of us were riding pretty consistently on Wednesday nights last winter/spring, but it kind of fell apart with summer. Some of us ride Weds. and some ride Thurs. I would like to see if we could get something consistent going again. PM sent

b a n n e d
    I'm up for wednesdays. I prefer to ride UP sully ridge and DOWN the canyon . . . can easily make a loop for folks who drive by parking on Old Ranch Rd. so long as there aren't a lot of cars. Alternatively, park on Queensferry, ride down Horsetrail and out to Sunset over to Amalfi and start the ridge there.

Starting canyon side is really difficult for me though . . . I can pretty reliable get to amalfi and capri by 6:50 p.m.

mtbr member
    Anyone been down the canyon this week? If so, how is it looking? Thanks

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    Anyone been down the canyon this week? If so, how is it looking? Thanks
    Rumor has it its pretty wrecked.

From another rider earlier this week: "The upper 3/4s of the canyon has been pretty much plowed to dirt road width - surface is loose and lumpy with lots of cookie sized rocks. There was a bunch of heavy equipment blocking the entire road down in the lower part of the canyon, so I had to hike-a-bike through a long section of brush to get around that. After that, a huge new section of those concrete mats is in the process of being installed - had to hike-a-bike that too. After climbing up the pavement, you can see tons more of those concrete mats staged along the road, so I guess we know what that means. I think the better option now is to take the Westridge singletrack back down, then hook a right on Bayliss and finish off down the Horse trail. Horse trail was business as usual last night. The parallel singletracks in Sullivan Canyon look to be untouched and the poison oak has died back quite a bit. Once the majority of the road work is done in the canyon, it will probably still be a good run if you ride all the singletracks."

mtbr member
    Rumor has it its pretty wrecked.
    That's a bummer. Thank you for the update!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Rumor has it its pretty wrecked. "The upper 3/4s of the canyon has been pretty much plowed to dirt road width - surface is loose and lumpy with lots of cookie sized rocks.
    They've done this infrequently since the late 1980's. It sucks for us, but let's face it, there's a massive gas line running down the bottom of that canyon that they need the option to get at with heavy equipment in a worst case scenario. Not a fan, but that's the other side of it.

After that, a huge new section of those concrete mats is in the process of being installed ... you can see tons more of those concrete mats staged along the road, so I guess we know what that means.
    Hey guys, let's put a huuuuge gas line down the very bottom of a relatively unstable canyon! Don't worry about the bottom of the canyon rearranging itself +/- 2 meters every rainy season. It's going to be fine. I've seen enough of that pipe exposed at various times over the years that the mats are, in theory, the right way to make a bad decision a little better. ..

By exposed, I mean there was NO WAY to ride over it and walking across it was sketchy because a few feet of the circumference of a smooth steel pipe and cycling shoes (pre-SPD even) were not a good match. This is going back quite a few years from now when MTB suspension was novel to non-existent. It's a biiiig pipe.

The mats should put off moving the pipe a few more decades. If the mats are well-placed, they should hide after a few seasons. FWIW I'm no erosion engineer either.

There was a guard at one end that denied me entrance today, so my brief dirt ride time turned into a blast up Westridge.
    Last edited by asphalt_jesus; 11-03-2012 at 10:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Do you guys ride Sullivan Canyon, or Westridge Fire road at night after dark? Is it a safe place to train with lights??

Thanks for the help,
    Daniel

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by BudBundy View Post
    Do you guys ride Sullivan Canyon, or Westridge Fire road at night after dark? Is it a safe place to train with lights??

Thanks for the help,
    Daniel
    I ride up Sullivan Ridge and down Sullivan canyon (when its open) at night regularly. I don't know what you'd consider "safe" or what your concerns would be (e.g., cats? snakes? chupacabras?), but I head out there by myself after dark all the time. Seen snakes, big spiders, deer, birds (those stupid Tom whatever's that sit on the trail until you are right in front of them), owls, and most recently a fox. I've also seen quite a few 2-legged cougars, but they are generally harmless so long as you leave your wallet in the car.

I'd love a regular riding buddy if your up for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hey 007 I tried to PM you but I cannot yet.. new member blues....

Thanks for the quick reply, I assumed it seemed safe for the most part, but I have never ridden after dark so I just wanted to ask.

Now, I would love to ride together definitely, but I havent yet purchased night lights. That was going to be my next inquiry to the mtbr forums, as to what to purchase so I can start training at night.

When do u usually ride? And may I ask where u start exactly and end your ride. Usually for me after work when there is time, I would either park down at bayliss and ride up to the westridge trailhead and do a full loop or just park at the trailhead and go up to tower area, and then come back over the singletrack above the fireroads...

Thanks!!

My name is Daniel, nice to meet you!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was at Sullivan on Saturday and a couple riders informed me that the Canyon was shut down on Saturdays. They said it would be open again on Sunday. This was from two riders down at the bayliss westridge area. They were not able to ride down the canyon on Sat 11/10 and from what they said it is only a saturday closure.Sorry I dont have any official info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have one more Night riding question about Sullivan Canyon, I just purchased lights and I was interested in riding at night. Should I be worried about Mtn Lions, because I know there are some in the SM Mountains, and a lone rider at night seems like a pretty easy meal?? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Haven't you been reading all the news stories about riders getting attacked by mountain lions in santa monica? I mean, there's like 0 of them, it's an epidemic.

[hyperbole]in other words, you have a far greater chance of dying on the way to the trailhead due to a lightening strike and bee stings than you do of even seeing a lion[/hyperbole]
    nothing witty here...

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by BudBundy View Post
    I have one more Night riding question about Sullivan Canyon, I just purchased lights and I was interested in riding at night. Should I be worried about Mtn Lions, because I know there are some in the SM Mountains, and a lone rider at night seems like a pretty easy meal?? Thanks!
    Just ride with someone slower . . .

(Its not a big deal . . . I do it all the time)

mtbr member
    ambassadorhawg, you gave me a negative rep because you think going down Sulli is trespassing? Really?

It may not be publicly owned land, but the land owners are nice enough to allow access. If you actually go up there you will see signs that say "Enter at your own risk", not "No Trespassing". At the time I went in through the canyon it was not closed to the public. I even saw a security guard at one side and he just said "Hi". He could have told me the canyon was closed.

Why don't you think before you neg rep someone. (I realize I'll get some neg reps for this post, which is fine. I just think it's stupid to neg rep someone for something yet not say it in the actual forum. If you have a problem then say it. If I'm doing something that I shouldn't then give me a heads-up because maybe I don't realize it.)
    Last edited by kdiff; 12-22-2012 at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Calm down, Kdiff. AH got your attention, didn't he? That may have been his intention, without making a public post about riding in closed areas that give us (mountain bikers) bad PR. I'm no AH fan, but if he pricked your pride enough to make you pay attention to closures BEFORE you ride, that's a good thing from a continued-access point of view. It's nothing personal, maybe just an attempt to improve future MTB access in an area that he thought was temporarily closed - you should be able to figure out that security guards aren't hired to welcome folks to the canyon, and the guard may have thought there's no reason to say anything if you're leaving.

mtbr member
    ScottR1, I'm plenty calm. I just needed something to do while I was waiting for my ridding buddy. So, I figured I would out AH what seemed like a ****** move.

I really don't want to spend too much more time on this as reps are really not important, but I liked your response even though I think you're making too many assumptions on his behalf (and of course he can now use what you just said to try and justify it). He didn't really get my attention because I just now looked at the reps. Your comment about paying attention to trail closures "before I ride" doesn't really make sense as I obviously already was paying attention as I was posting on this thread and on ones on other sites. If he felt like needed to "teach me a lesson" than it should have been constructive even if it was pm'ed rather than what he said.

In regards to the security guard, he was watching the heavy equipment parked on the public street. Yes, I see your point about "why should he tell someone when they are leaving?" but then shouldn't he have stopped the people entering from that side? Also, if you're going to close the canyon wouldn't you at least put up a sign on the most heavily entered side?

Obviously trail access is an important issue to you as it should be with all mountain bikers, but in this case I think you're grasping at his action and trying to apply your issue, trail access. Thanks

mtbr member
    no one should care about reps
    buzzes like a fridge

b a n n e d
    The canyon is still pretty much trashed. You could practically drive through there without much difficulty. The single track winding parallel though is still there and in nice shape now that the P.O. has died back. I'm just glad its open again because it completes my loop from the house.

And yes rep is some of the dumbest shxt on this forum, period. And its only going to get worse without the anonymity.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    AHawg was mistaken if he thought it was closed, the canyons been open for ages. Although as 007 said it's totally trashed and basically just another fireroad.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbbrad View Post
    AHawg was mistaken if he thought it was closed, the canyons been open for ages. Although as 007 said it's totally trashed and basically just another fireroad.
    It was closed from early October until just after Thanksgiving.