Thread: Sullivan News

cask conditioned

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Sullivan News

Today I stumbled onto some unofficial info about The Gas Co. regarding the pipeline in Sullivan Canyon. A device called a PIG finished traveling the inside of the pipeline from the Valley to the Westside today. Data collected from the PIG will show which areas of the pipeline need to be repaired.

Fortunately it will take a while to analyze the data and to plan which sections of pipe need repairing. They're expecting to continue grading the canyon to access those sections no sooner than this March. That's either good news (we get to keep the s.t. for a while) or bad (the canyon will be graded again) depending on how you look at it.

They say they will try to limit the width of the grading in the canyon and not make it a freeway again, (so they say. Again, this is all unofficial). The last five years they haven't been grading much because of efforts by environmental groups. Otherwise they would maintain a road year round to access the pipeline since they basically own the canyon.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Kewl.

Sweet! Thanks for the update. I was just commenting the other day how work seems to have shut down in there. This is better news than expected.

JMH

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    we wondered why they hadn't burried that big junction or whatever it is....

good news on the delay - but I'm sure they will grade the he** outta that cyn when they are done - the lower part that has been reworked is a big broad freeway - why would they do any different up top?

34N 118W

similar

I've heard of similar research done with a device called a "gerbil". I'm not sure what kind of data it collects though.

can't wait until Sullivan looks like Dirt Mulholland Anyone up for chaining themselves to a bulldozer?

Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    A device called a PIG finished traveling the inside of the pipeline from the Valley to the Westside today. Data collected from the PIG will show which areas of the pipeline need to be repaired.

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    so this is just a postponement of what is to come...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Still there...

Still there, and fun as ever...

Pardon my blur. The mini-fashion camera isn't so hot with the low-light action!

JMH
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH

JMH
    The blur is a nice touch. But armor and flats, when did that happen?

cyclemaven.net

Didn't you know?

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    But armor and flats, when did that happen?
    For this season, they're the new "black", in Sully Canyon.
    Donate now!
    I'm a roadie this year for AIDS LifeCycle. Find out more by going here:
    http://girlmeetsbike.org

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Curiosity

...and the desire to do a real bunnyhop were the motivation for the flat pedals. The shin protection became necessary shortly thereafter!

But after 15 years of clipless, I can't express how much the platform pedals and the big bike have helped my riding. I will always have bikes with both now.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    The blur is a nice touch. But armor and flats, when did that happen?

Samsonite Tester
    ...and the desire to do a real bunnyhop were the motivation for the flat pedals. The shin protection became necessary shortly thereafter!

But after 15 years of clipless, I can't express how much the platform pedals and the big bike have helped my riding. I will always have bikes with both now.

JMH
    Yes the flats are for real bike control . No crutches.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

5 x 5

Sullivan is alive

When I first started riding in 01, Sullivan was my second ever ride. It was tough - two foot drops, lots of fallen logs, ruts everywhere. Even when filtered through experience I'd still say it was a solid technical ride.

Then, a couple months opr maybe a season later, the Gas Co graded it and, as an
    MTB trail, it was wiped out.

Fast forward three years, to the winter of 04-05. In two rainy weeks what had been smoothly graded gravel was re-written into a semi-technical paradise, with four foot drops and plenty of rocks and ruts and fun stuff, especially for a backyard trail.

The trail evolves. As someone said on these boards at the time, the trail itself is alive. If the Gas Co regrades, don't despair. Another El Nino will fix it. In the meantime, get your rides in now, 'cause three years of bland gravel is kind of a while to wait.

you go ahead
    Feb 2005

JMH
    its been a long time since I was in the canyon...
    but I can see it hasnt changed much

I cant wait to get back into riding... thanks for the pictures

RB