Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709

    Sullivan Cyn: Smoke em if you got em

    Maybe someone already announced this, but grading has begun in Sullivan... As of this morning (Wed) they are already up about a mile from the bottom, past the big downed tree crossing (which is now eroded anyway and at least 3 feet high). I would guess they will make good time, there are about 6 or 8 vehicles working on it.

    So... if you want to ride the fun stuff, you should hit it sooner rather than later. They aren't just cutting a jeep track, they're making a 15 foot wide road that you could drive a Civic up.

  2. #2
    always learning
    Reputation: tgreathead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Maybe someone already announced this, but grading has begun in Sullivan... As of this morning (Wed) they are already up about a mile from the bottom, past the big downed tree crossing (which is now eroded anyway and at least 3 feet high). I would guess they will make good time, there are about 6 or 8 vehicles working on it.

    So... if you want to ride the fun stuff, you should hit it sooner rather than later. They aren't just cutting a jeep track, they're making a 15 foot wide road that you could drive a Civic up.
    Wow. I was planning on riding there today. Are the water crossings still flowing high or are they rideable?

    If I go there I'll take pictures of the new 'highway'

  3. #3
    cask conditioned
    Reputation: endo verendo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by tgreathead
    Wow. I was planning on riding there today. Are the water crossings still flowing high or are they rideable?

    If I go there I'll take pictures of the new 'highway'
    The water crossings were always rideable except during the heavier rains.

    I hope to get out there today.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

    http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

    where are we eating?

  4. #4
    always learning
    Reputation: tgreathead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    The water crossings were always rideable except during the heavier rains.

    I hope to get out there today.
    I'm heading out right now. Say hi to the guy with red shoes on a black Enduro.

    EDIT: DAMMIT, did it again. I meant Sycamore.

    nevermind.
    Last edited by tgreathead; 03-31-2005 at 11:28 AM. Reason: wrong trail

  5. #5
    WAWE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,401
    Confirmed... the dozers are coming!

    Right now, they're busy moving dirt out of the storm drain at the bottom. I spoke to one of the guys briefly... goal is to cover up all of the exposed gas pipe and they need to do it ASAP because of bird nesting season... they will definitely be done in just a few weeks.

  6. #6
    you go ahead
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty
    Confirmed... the dozers are coming!

    Right now, they're busy moving dirt out of the storm drain at the bottom. I spoke to one of the guys briefly... goal is to cover up all of the exposed gas pipe and they need to do it ASAP because of bird nesting season... they will definitely be done in just a few weeks.
    the damage was a little too much this month. After the January rains it was fun and rideable, with only a little hiking to do. Last time I went it was a mess, and I had to carry my bike more than half the time.

    I'm eager to see Sullivan Canyon in a year or two, or however long it takes for it to reshape itself into the fun, fast doubletrack it was last year.

  7. #7
    WAWE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    the damage was a little too much this month. After the January rains it was fun and rideable, with only a little hiking to do. Last time I went it was a mess, and I had to carry my bike more than half the time.
    I really like it as is right now... you still have to steer around and over numerous obstacles but nearly all the walking spots have established rideable lines now.


    I'm eager to see Sullivan Canyon in a year or two, or however long it takes for it to reshape itself into the fun, fast doubletrack it was last year.
    *yawn*

  8. #8
    you go ahead
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    709
    I really like it as is right now... you still have to steer around and over numerous obstacles but nearly all the walking spots have established rideable lines now.
    true, but you have to factor in that you're probably a much better rider than me, and can stay on the bike for a lot longer in places where I would have to walk. The steering for me was done more on hands and knees than on two wheels

    *yawn*
    you've got a point

  9. #9
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709

    Easy Rides

    It's important to have easy places to ride. Not just easy technically, but the kind of place you can ride take an easy day, curise slowly at dusk, get in a 40 minute ride. There aren't too many rides in the SM mountains that qualify, so Sullivan needs to be there, ya know? It also keeps slower traffic off of the other trails.

    I enjoy Sullivan right now, but I will enjoy it ALMOST as much when it's a highway again, too. =)

    J

    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    true, but you have to factor in that you're probably a much better rider than me, and can stay on the bike for a lot longer in places where I would have to walk. The steering for me was done more on hands and knees than on two wheels



    you've got a point

  10. #10
    you go ahead
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    It's important to have easy places to ride. Not just easy technically, but the kind of place you can ride take an easy day, curise slowly at dusk, get in a 40 minute ride. There aren't too many rides in the SM mountains that qualify, so Sullivan needs to be there, ya know? It also keeps slower traffic off of the other trails.

    I enjoy Sullivan right now, but I will enjoy it ALMOST as much when it's a highway again, too. =)

    J
    what the SMs are really missing is some nice, flat singletrack. The only singletrack here is the steep, loose, and rutted kind. Those pictures of flat desert ST make me drool.

  11. #11
    WAWE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    It's important to have easy places to ride. Not just easy technically, but the kind of place you can ride take an easy day, curise slowly at dusk, get in a 40 minute ride. There aren't too many rides in the SM mountains that qualify, so Sullivan needs to be there, ya know? It also keeps slower traffic off of the other trails.
    Agreed... over here, it's almost all up up up... and all down down down... it's difficult to ride here offroad here and not be in reasonable shape. Maybe one day, some creative trail planner will figure out a local trail that's more flat-ish. The problem is every speck of flat land around here has a house or building sitting on it.

Similar Threads

  1. second hand smoke health impacts
    By SEvEnDuSt717 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 04:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •