Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sullivan Canyon is Rockin!

2K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  SHIVER ME TIMBERS 
#1 ·
Report:
The top has scattered rocks, the mid is wash out and even more toward the bottom. 3 to 4 foot crevice at the bayliss cement driveway!

The graded trail from mid down is gone, lots of mucky sand washes, the creek bed in general has a rocky bottom. You will be either riding the creek bed or blazing your own trail! I hit a couple of creek crossing that were at least hub level deep!

It was beautiful!!!

#4 ·
nagatahawk said:
Probably not until after the rains. take westridge to the top then come down sulli.
why? that would be super boring. There are a lot of much more fun trails than Sulli Canyon in the area, is my point. You seem to be waiting for Sulli to get back to how it used to be, I'm pretty sure The Gas Co is not going to let that happen anytime soon.

#12 ·
Thanks for the trail update.

Sullivan was and (still is I guess) my favorite way to get up to Mulholland and access Backbone, Broken Arrow, Sullivan Ridge jumps, etc.

It also used to be a great spot for a 45 minute out and back before/after work blast. Steady climb going up and fast flowy fun going down with a few little drops/jumps/features to play on. I'd love to have that Sulli back and the more damage the rains do the better our chance of getting it back soon. I don't know that the Gas Co will leave it, but the rains have been carving some fun little drops and channels that could easily be improved upon to provide a great riding experience with a little work. Hopefully they blew their road improvement budget earlier in the year and we'll be allowed to play.

#13 ·
isilverman said:
Thanks for the trail update.

Sullivan was and (still is I guess) my favorite way to get up to Mulholland and access Backbone, Broken Arrow, Sullivan Ridge jumps, etc.

It also used to be a great spot for a 45 minute out and back before/after work blast. Steady climb going up and fast flowy fun going down with a few little drops/jumps/features to play on. I'd love to have that Sulli back and the more damage the rains do the better our chance of getting it back soon. I don't know that the Gas Co will leave it, but the rains have been carving some fun little drops and channels that could easily be improved upon to provide a great riding experience with a little work. Hopefully they blew their road improvement budget earlier in the year and we'll be allowed to play.
I just spoke with eric at Cynergy, he says he help develope the old single track with the ok from the gas co. He said he will ride up and take a look. Maybe we can make that single track that doesn't intervere with any of the gas co. plans. nothing stay the same in sullivan. This is the third time ive seen it change
later
wn

#16 ·
The more variety the better in my opinion. I thought sullivan canyon was fun before the gas company, was fun after the gas company, and I had tons of fun riding it post rain. Especially hitting the big drop that is now at the end
Getting on the bike and riding is just plain fun. Fire roads, technical singletrack, drops, jumps, its all good. Don't be a fire road hater, they can provide tons of entertainment and a great ride experience.

#21 ·
Ran into a gas co contractor in the canyon today taking photos. He was the first person from the gas co that had been up the canyon since the rains & I asked him what he thought. "Wow" was his reply. Ground is totally saturated. The channel cut by the rain runs 3.5 miles up the canyon. He thinks they'll have to bring in so much material to replace what's missing at the bottom that they'll need new permits for it. He seemed pretty surprised with how destructive the rains were.

Nagatahawk is right - Sulli is back on!

#23 ·
Biked Sullivan yesterday. All I can say is wow! Major portions of it are back to single track already. If you go there, be prepared to get wet and muddy. And to those saying there are better tracks in the vicinity, I'd love to learn them. I've only done Will Rogers, and the old Mullholand from the 405 to the beach (which is all fire road). So please let me know where else I can find some single track in the area. I've attached some pics of yesterdays ride.

Attachments

#24 ·
Also rode Sullivan Canyon over the weekend, I make it up there every couples of years. The canyon is pretty with the trees, green grass and water but I seem to like the other singletracks in that area better. I hope for you that ride there regularly that the Gas Company does not do any more of the pavers, those things are beyond ugly and look like good wheel grabbers if you ride them wrong.

Attachments

#25 ·
"Sulli sucks. There are way better trails to ride in the area.
One day you too will realize there is no joy in going down a fireroad."

The day I loose the joy of riding merely because the trail is not (fill in your favorite trail) then it's time to quit. And after 34 years of mountain biking I can still say, "A bad day on a fireroad is still better than a good day at work!"

--
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.