mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Sullivan Canyon recs

I am looking for a 1.5-2.0 hour loop up or down Sullivan Canyon, ideally fire road up and single track down. Can someone give driving/parking directions from West LA? Which trails would you take up or down? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    There is a very nice loop if you got up the Westridge fireroad and come down Sullivan Canyon. I think it is better to park closer to the finish as there is a steep pavement climb at the beginning instead of the end. From Sunset Blvd., head up Mandeville Canyon. Left at the first stop sign, Westridge. Up, up , up then left on Bayliss. Park near the intersection and continue up Westridge on your bike and it will turn into the fireroad. Nice climb up to the Nike site (4-5 miles). Left on dirt Mullholland and less than a mile there is the gate to Sullivan Fireroad. Head down but look for a road off to the left (with a half mile or so) and take it - the start of the Sullivan Canyon Trail. The road deteriorates to a very fun 4-mile single track. At the bottom, take the short but steep asphalt road up and around the gate. That road hits Bayliss, take a right turn to your car.

I am sure this route is listed somewhere but I can never remember the name of the sites.

Have fun!:

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    And another option is going up Sullivan fire road, coming down Sullivan Singles (Ridge single-track). Park at Amalfi / Capri (Capri and Amalfi both are off Sunset). Go up and to the left from that start, accessing the fire road, take fire road all the way until you want to turn around and come down via the ridge. There's a single track trail on most of the ridge.

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gravity
    And another option is going up Sullivan fire road, coming down Sullivan Singles (Ridge single-track). Park at Amalfi / Capri (Capri and Amalfi both are off Sunset). Go up and to the left from that start, accessing the fire road, take fire road all the way until you want to turn around and come down via the ridge. There's a single track trail on most of the ridge.
    How long does this route take?

Do you know if you can ride Sullivan fire road legally at night?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama

45 min up, 25 min down easy pace. Lots of night riders, rarely a ranger.
    I happened to read a sign at the nike silo and it said the park was closed
    at dusk but I've seen many hikers, bikers and runners at night, me included.
    No signs on Sullivan ridge regarding park hours. May be another user could
    chime in on park hours. For the most part, I've never encountered any
    problem for the 4+ years night riding in the SM mtns. Absolutely great place,
    and safe too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Wow, I've never even considered riding at night up there might not be OK since I've done it so many times and so many others have. It's definitely fine.

5 x 5

Westridge/Sully will take a fit rider who doesn't dally about an hour. Ditto out and back up Sully Cyn.

I've ridden this a night dozens of times without issue. Ditto a route heading up Sully ridge and ultimately down Backbone in Will Rogers SP. I've encountered rangers who've returned my wave. No stress.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

Go Lakers!
    I just did the out and back to Sully via top of Reseda, this is from the Valley side. Great ride, touch climb out of Sully but well worth the downhill. I would highly recommend Sully. Beautiful scenery this time of year and perfect temperature.
    [SIZE="3"]Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift that's why they call it the present [/SIZE]

That's gonna leave a mark
    1.5-2 hours? The parking location is out of your way, but....
    Park on Reseda at the Caballero Trailhead. Climb Cab, left on Mullholland. Descend Sulli FR and connect to descent on Sulli Singletrack. Climb Westridge. Back over to Cab and down to car.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    thanks for all the suggestions!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    http://www.singletrackmind.com/
    Has a good description.

Sullivan ridge is awesome at night. Wait until the smog clears and you can see tons of city lights.