mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Sullivan Canyon appears to be reopen!

I rode it tonight from bottom to top, no more signs indicated that they are doing construction.

Exercise caution when descending, but it seems we are back in business

gone for a bike ride

brilliant! will have a look tomorrow morning

best
    alex

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Great news

official eMpTyBRain
    I rode up the canyon today after work. Just to the top of where the trails criss-cross the fire road in the canyon.

There was a lot of work activity in there. A lot! I do have to say that each and every one of the workers greeted me in a very friendly manor. There was scouts set up above and below each work area and the moment they saw me coming, they haulted all work, moved over, and guided me through with a smile. It was really something to witness.

Like every where else, it's terribly dry and dusty in there. My red bike came out of that ride in a nice shade of chalk white. Yuck.

It seems like every time I ride through there, more more and little sections of trail are added. Most of them are technical, not what I was expecting. My little 4" travel FS bike didn't like the 3 foot drops very much.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Which part has the 3 foot drop? I'm not familiar with that one

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    It seems like every time I ride through there, more more and little sections of trail are added. Most of them are technical, not what I was expecting. My little 4" travel FS bike didn't like the 3 foot drops very much.
    Wow it sounds like it's changed quite a bit since I last rode it 1.5 years or so ago.
    definite malingerer

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    Which part has the 3 foot drop? I'm not familiar with that one
    Where you launch off the left side of the fire road. It's an immediate drop.

mtbr member
    I heard it's all double track and fire road, however tons of side off shoots filled with poison oak. I am hitting Roger's Road Saturday early....less crowded and more single track...
    GGR Girl Wendy E

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by GGR Girl Wendy View Post
    I heard it's all double track and fire road, however tons of side off shoots filled with poison oak. I am hitting Roger's Road Saturday early....less crowded and more single track...
    The P.O. is all dead and out of the way. Either someone cleared it out or it simply dried up and crumbled away. Don't worry about it at all.

mtbr member
    Where you launch off the left side of the fire road. It's an immediate drop.
    More like 11.2478 inches rather than 3 feet, not that I've gone out and measured it

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by JimN View Post
    More like 11.2478 inches rather than 3 feet, not that I've gone out and measured it
    No this is a cement slab you drop off of and I was nearly vertical (on my front wheel) when I hit the bottom because I rolled off of it slowly not realizing how far it dropped. I was shocked I didn't go OTB. I was afraid that I had bent my fork crown or cracked my head tube.

Somebody please take a measuring tape up there and measure that drop?

mtbr member
    No this is a cement slab you drop off of and I was nearly vertical (on my front wheel) when I hit the bottom because I rolled off of it slowly not realizing how far it dropped. I was shocked I didn't go OTB. I was afraid that I had bent my fork crown or cracked my head tube.

Somebody please take a measuring tape up there and measure that drop?
    Yeah, I know it well as I launch off of it all the time. I'll bet is measures under a foot. However, I can imagine it would not be pretty to roll off of it as you did. It is a totally undercut cement slab. Very smooth if you huck it with some speed, though. Nice job keeping it together while rolling it!

official eMpTyBRain
    Yeah, I know it well as I launch off of it all the time. I'll bet is measures under a foot. However, I can imagine it would not be pretty to roll off of it as you did. It is a totally undercut cement slab. Very smooth if you huck it with some speed, though. Nice job keeping it together while rolling it!
    That's it. I'm heading back up there in two weeks on Weds with a pick and shovel. It will be 3' deep when I get through with it.

mtbr member
    That's it. I'm heading back up there in two weeks on Weds with a pick and shovel. It will be 3' deep when I get through with it.
    Please do, and while you're at it, add a nice landing transition!

mtbr member
    You'll be happy to hear that you only need to dig down one foot. I rode out there this morning and made a mental reference as to where the cement slab lined up with my fork stanchion while my bike was sitting in the landing zone. Tape measure says the drop is almost exactly two feet. We'll have to split the difference on this one.

official eMpTyBRain
    You'll be happy to hear that you only need to dig down one foot. I rode out there this morning and made a mental reference as to where the cement slab lined up with my fork stanchion while my bike was sitting in the landing zone. Tape measure says the drop is almost exactly two feet. We'll have to split the difference on this one.
    I was a bit shocked when you kept stating that this drop was only about one foot (or less).

I'm still thinking that it's at least 2" 1", though. I emphasize that 1" extra inch, too.

Anyway, thanks for checking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just getting over 4 weeks of hell from severe poison oak from a silly fall on one of the single track spurs. Landed on dead looking vines with no leaves, assumed it was not P.O. Wrong! Have ridden that single track dozens of times with no issues, now I'm not sure I will be back, it was that miserable. Be careful!

mtbr member
    I rode up the canyon today after work. Just to the top of where the trails criss-cross the fire road in the canyon.

There was a lot of work activity in there. A lot! I do have to say that each and every one of the workers greeted me in a very friendly manor. There was scouts set up above and below each work area and the moment they saw me coming, they haulted all work, moved over, and guided me through with a smile. It was really something to witness.

Like every where else, it's terribly dry and dusty in there. My red bike came out of that ride in a nice shade of chalk white. Yuck.

i had a similar experience they are all very respectful and cautious of bikes. I'll have to look out for the drop off next time. At least its not the entire rode dropping off 5 ft like when the El Nino rains washed the road away : )

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    FYI For those that ride home down the "horse" trail that drops at the entrance gate to sullivan canyon they have put up new "water-bars" accross the entire middle part of the trail. These are not your typical water-bars more like 1x12 or 1x10 blockades. If you got the skills they can be easily bunny-hopped, but they definitely hinder the flow of this trail section.
    Definitely seems like a method on the part of the powers that be to cut down on bike traffic on this section. Oh well. Its kind of like how they put metal cross bars on ledges to cut down on skateboarding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pgh01 View Post
    Just getting over 4 weeks of hell from severe poison oak from a silly fall on one of the single track spurs. Landed on dead looking vines with no leaves, assumed it was not P.O. Wrong! Have ridden that single track dozens of times with no issues, now I'm not sure I will be back, it was that miserable. Be careful!
    TRUE. Dead-looking PO is almost just as dangerous if you are a reactor than PO in full-bloom. All of th rective oils and resins are on the stems and branches of the dry plant.
    As you found out....
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.