Team Fearless Descender

Sulli Ridge Helli Rescue Today

Some excitement today near the top of Sullivan Ridge, right where you drop down into the canyon.

Riding up Sulli ridge, came upon three park service vehicles with lights on. Rolled up to find one Mtn biker half covered with an emergency blanket and wearing an oxygen mask. Looked like the things were pretty fresh, as the park service guys were still pulling gear out. The biker was there with a friend, who was sitting on the ground with his injured buddy. Next thing I heard was a chopper. I look to the ranger and he said, “yep”, and nodded his head. I rolled up the trail a little to keep out of the way.

After the chopper took off I did get to speak to one of the rangers. Didn’t get too much info, only that it was “a re-injury of a rib injury, and he’ll be OK”.

The fires in Malibu were pretty evident as well.

Who ever you are, I wish you a speedy recovery.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I was out there today with my son and a friend of mine when we saw those two guys. One guy moaning/gasping for air. Offered to call for help as they both had no mobile phones with them. He mentioned the previously broken rib from two weeks ago. Does not make much sense to me to try and ride some sketchy section of single track on sulli on a sketchy bike with a recently broken rib

Devo
    trippy
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by rovertech179
    One guy moaning/gasping for air. Offered to call for help as they both had no mobile phones with them. He mentioned the previously broken rib from two weeks ago.

I was surprised that they pulled him out via helicopter if broken ribs were the only injury. He did seem to be in quite a bit of discomfort, and not all together there (not unconscious, but glassy eyed).
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rovertech179
    I was out there today with my son and a friend of mine when we saw those two guys. One guy moaning/gasping for air. Offered to call for help as they both had no mobile phones with them. He mentioned the previously broken rib from two weeks ago. Does not make much sense to me to try and ride some sketchy section of single track on sulli on a sketchy bike with a recently broken rib
    Wow - many years ago I broke two ribs in my back and cut open my elbow to the bone - at the Whoops (jumping while inexperienced on an XC bike is bad I guess) - my biggest problem was being parked on Bayliss (I had ridden around to the Whoops) - so I got on my bike, rode back around, down Sully cyn and walked the bike up the hill to the car - loaded the bike up and drove myself to the ER

I also broke my leg on South Mtn in Phoenix - and rode/hiked out to the car
    same for broken wrist on Cold Springs in Santa Barbara - rode down the trail/fireroads to the car and drove back to LA for ER (btw - both of these hurt as bad as anything I've experienced)

kinda seems like huge overkill to get helied out for a couple of ribs - but maybe it was more serious than just that somehow?
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Good reminder to have your emergency contact info in your phone and/or on your person at all times when on the bike. I hope he's OK....
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    Wow - many years ago I broke two ribs in my back and cut open my elbow to the bone - at the Whoops (jumping while inexperienced on an XC bike is bad I guess) - my biggest problem was being parked on Bayliss (I had ridden around to the Whoops) - so I got on my bike, rode back around, down Sully cyn and walked the bike up the hill to the car - loaded the bike up and drove myself to the ER

I also broke my leg on South Mtn in Phoenix - and rode/hiked out to the car
    same for broken wrist on Cold Springs in Santa Barbara - rode down the trail/fireroads to the car and drove back to LA for ER (btw - both of these hurt as bad as anything I've experienced)

kinda seems like huge overkill to get helied out for a couple of ribs - but maybe it was more serious than just that somehow?

re-injured injured ribs....thought it was petty too....heck I rode with a broken wrist for four years....just duct taped it up and sucked up the pAin
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    ...kinda seems like huge overkill to get helied out for a couple of ribs - but maybe it was more serious than just that somehow?
    That previously broken rib might have punctured a lung this time-- if so, the resultant hemo/pneumothorax could deteriorate quickly into a potentially life-threatening situation. Prompt emergency medical intervention was the right call.
    Never give up, never surrender.

new and improved
    rode/hiked out to the car same for broken wrist on Cold Springs in Santa Barbara - rode down the trail/fireroads to the car and drove back to LA for ER
    I forgot about this. I followed you to make sure you didn't pass out on the way down.

After every rock:

"ow... ow... ow... ow..."

There are a lot of rocks on CS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Damn, macrider is gnarly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbrider
    Damn, macrider is gnarly.
    I really am, thanks for noticing

I was just curious if there were more to it - self-rescue is alway preferred if possible
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Santo
    I forgot about this. I followed you to make sure you didn't pass out on the way down.

After every rock:

"ow... ow... ow... ow..."

There are a lot of rocks on CS.

You missed the recent "ow...ow....ow....ow" at Whistler - riding for 3 days on a busted humorous, separated AC joint and torn labrum - did "A River Runs Through It" the second day after the crash - every time I went off a ladder or over a big root, it was "OW!" 3rd and 4th day I was back on the mtn and the ow's weren't quite as big - although GLC drop with a completely toasted shoulder got a pretty good ow going...

lots of booze and advil helped