mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Suggestions for T1, E3.5s in Orange County

Looking for some good rides in OC that are not technical (fire roads and easy single track) but provide for some good climbing opportunities. Anywhere from 10-20 miles. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Lots of uninterrupted fireroads in the Cleveland National Forest and Chino Hills State Park.

Check geoladders.com for routes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Geoladders isn't much help in term of finding fire roads. Tried searching but only a couple came up.
    Anyone have suggestions for OC?

Go Lakers!
    Whiting Ranch, Fullerton Loop
    [SIZE="3"]Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift that's why they call it the present [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=258

This route has easy single track and tons of fire road. It is in Chino Hills State park. If you want to park in Yorba Linda, go to the end of Rimcrest and park in the neighborhood. Watch for the no parking signs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by allroy71
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=258

This route has easy single track and tons of fire road. It is in Chino Hills State park. If you want to park in Yorba Linda, go to the end of Rimcrest and park in the neighborhood. Watch for the no parking signs.
    Seems like it will fit the bill. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambolina
    Whiting Ranch, Fullerton Loop
    Checked out Fullerton Loop. Looks like it's too close to city streets to get that "mountain" feel.
    Which Whiting Ranch ride are you referring to? Checked Geoladders and there are several. Not sure which ones are fire road and easy single track.
    Thanks for your help.

mtbr member

Chino Hills

If it's still there(fire at Green River and the 91) it's not a technical place and it has a ton of miles if thats what you're looking for.
    Any truck trail in cleavland NF has even more non technical miles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How would you rate this one in terms of technical--1-5 (5 being really tough)?

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/768392#

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Up Cholla is a technical climb. May be 2-3. It is singletrack and steep, but you don't have to get out of the saddle if you are in low gears.
    Down Rock it- more like 3-4ish (sorry I don't know the true rating system) You have to go down a large rock face. But if you take a bad line, it isn't too hard to dab. So for parts you don't like, it's easy to get off the bike.
    Down Meadows. A 2, because there are easy switch back and you have to know how to control your speed. No rock faces.

I think the hardest lines are 5 oaks and Stairsteps. Haven't done either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Thanks...

Up Cholla is a technical climb. May be 2-3. It is singletrack and steep, but you don't have to get out of the saddle if you are in low gears.
    Down Rock it- more like 3-4ish (sorry I don't know the true rating system) You have to go down a large rock face. But if you take a bad line, it isn't too hard to dab. So for parts you don't like, it's easy to get off the bike.
    Down Meadows. A 2, because there are easy switch back and you have to know how to control your speed. No rock faces.

I think the hardest lines are 5 oaks and Stairsteps. Haven't done either.
    Sounds like a bit more than what I'm looking for technically right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Anyone know if this route was lost in the fires (not ridable)?
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=286

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    From what I read in the OC Register, I think the park is closed for now. I think they said 90% of the park was burned!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    From what I read in the OC Register, I think the park is closed for now. I think they said 90% of the park was burned!!
    Yikes. Thanks

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    I think the ride your are looking for is Blackstar to Beeks or Maple Springs to Main Divide. Both are wide open fire roads with the opportunity for single track on Motorway if you feel up to it.

Maple was closed due to fires but I believe it is opened up now. They had some sort of spill they were cleaning up. Check out before you go to see if it is open or not.

You should also check out Santiago TT to Old Camp. Plenty of climbing and after the fires the trail is mostly fire road now. You could always go down the Luge at the end if you are up for single track. Park at Cooks Corner for the full loop.

All these trails are in Cleveland National Forest.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    +1 blackstar all fire road all climbing (1 way)
    +1 Santiago TT fun singletrack at the end