mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Suggestions for Good Weekend Getaway/Ride?

Hey Guys,
    Me and the misses are looking to ditch the kids next weekend and ride someplace different. I have been riding for years but I would call her an advanced beginner. We rode big bear and she really liked it, even took some of the downhill runs no problem. Any suggestions beside Big Bear in the So Cal area that would be a good place to hang out and ride for the weekend? Camping is a plus too. We are pretty familar with the trails in San Diego so we would like to get out of town a bit. Thanks for any suggestions

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Mammoth?

Quote Originally Posted by Brik
    Hey Guys,
    Me and the misses are looking to ditch the kids next weekend and ride someplace different. I have been riding for years but I would call her an advanced beginner. We rode big bear and she really liked it, even took some of the downhill runs no problem. Any suggestions beside Big Bear in the So Cal area that would be a good place to hang out and ride for the weekend? Camping is a plus too. We are pretty familar with the trails in San Diego so we would like to get out of town a bit. Thanks for any suggestions
    The got campgrounds, cheap low season condos, great restaurants, and fun trails. The got a kids camp at the lodge so you can bring the kids if you have to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    mammoth

the resort and lower rock creek are both fun. stay in june lake to save some $.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Out of town suggestons

Quote Originally Posted by bm_stark
    mammoth

the resort and lower rock creek are both fun. stay in june lake to save some $.
    1) Santa Cruz New Brighton State Beach- Beautiful campsite by the beach. Is located near Wilder Ranch. Don't forget Ride Demo Forest.

2) Mammoth-Twin Lakes - Bike park and surrounding areas

more local-option
    3) Point Magu State Beach-By the beach-Guadalasco, Sycamore canyon, Backbone. etc.

Let us know how many days you have and how far you are willing to travel.

Just passing through....
    Hey Guys,
    My wife and I did a similar thing last month. We drove up to Solvang (by way of Supergo in Santa Monica to buy her an MTB), and got a hotel room ($50-$80 a night, very reasonable). The next day we drove up to Montana De Oro State Park near Morro Bay and rode around for the day. Absolutely beautiful beginner rides along the sea cliffs, with some more advanced stuff back in a bit further. Came back to Solvang and enjoyed the shops and food. I'll be doin' that again, but it might be a bit of a drive for you from San Diego.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

banned
    Apr 2004

How about San Juan trail

Hey Guys,
    not to far out of town but a mighty fine ride, or Mount Wilson or Holy Jim to the main divide to Trabuco Creek, I believe it's to early in the season for Mammoth.

Mountain Bike Sensei
    Jun 2004
    Check out Idyllwild, CA next time. It's less they 2 hours away from San Diego and has some great trails. Here is a link to some of the trails. Hurkey Creek is a camp ground that has a fun trail. That's were the 24 Hours of Adrenalin race is held here in socal twice a year. If you stay in Idyllwild they have one bike shop and the shop owner leads rides every Sat. morning at 8AM unless its winter time and the snow is higher the hubs on your bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NappyT
    Check out Idyllwild, CA next time. It's less they 2 hours away from San Diego and has some great trails. Here is a link to some of the trails. Hurkey Creek is a camp ground that has a fun trail. That's were the 24 Hours of Adrenalin race is held here in socal twice a year. If you stay in Idyllwild they have one bike shop and the shop owner leads rides every Sat. morning at 8AM unless its winter time and the snow is higher the hubs on your bike.
    I concur ... Idyllwild has some cool trails and several different places to camp and it's just far enough out of town to make you feel like you're, well, out of town

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Some good suggestions there!

--Mammoth would offer a lot of riding, and you can get deals from the mountian where you get a condo with a kitchen for $55/night/person and they throw in one all-day lift ticket per rider.

--If you want to camp, have you ridden the Big Laguna Trail, Noble Canyon and such? The Laguna Camp camprgound is great, has showers and some flush toilets, and is directly adjacent to the Big Laguna Trail.

--Closer than Mammoth, Rock Creek and Lower Rock creek are beautiful country with excellent riding.

--Have you heard of Downieville, up toward Tahoe? Look into that, including in some threads here on MTBR. You can do the motel or the bed-n-breakfast and go on either long XC or epic, shuttle-assisted rides in amazing trail country. When you get to Yuba Outfitters, the local shuttle/shop, ask for Mike...

--Tahoe. Why not get up there, enjoy a hotel and ride the famous Flume Trail together? My wife and I need to do that.

Merrrrjig
    Jan 2004
    Well Id say mammoth at twin lakes is the best. Ive stayed there like 10 times and its the best. But if you want something more local with a little bit of riding try camping at los pinos campground at the top of the San Juan Trail, outside of San Juan Capistrano, on the Ortega Hwy. Its a pretty cool place!