Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009

... and if we just ... Suffering at Pain Divide February 11, 2010

Bjammin sent out an invite for a “long day in the saddle” as a training ride for this years Counting Coup. Alib and I were quick to respond to the challenge as we had never done a big ride like this before. Boy were we in for a treat! Here is the exact route that we did: http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=392

Alib and I left the Southbay at 4:30AM to meet up with Bjammin in OC with wheels rolling by 8:30AM. Starting temps were surprisingly not that cold as anticipated.

The climb up Blackstar started gradually.

Bjammin having fun on the climb.

We started somewhere down there.

1st break. Time to bring out the Hammer nutrition.

I swear this route is geographically challenge 85% Uphill 15% Downhill.

Little bit of ice at the top.

Nope, we are not at the top yet.

At last Motorway trail, time to cash in all that climbing.

Bjammin and Alib on the singletrack.

After the sweet singletrack descent we decided to take a lunch break and we would soon get know who Bjammin really is. He professed all his favorite tv shows(I will not name it) lol and demonstrate some of his yoga moves.

Soon after lunch we still have about 18 miles to go and guess what? More climbing!

And more yoga moves.

The second time around Motorway I would have a slight operator error on my clipless pedals.

In summary, this ride really tested me physically and more so mentally. There were so many times my mind would tell me to give up and i just had to keep going. I was mentally demoralized a few times. Bjammin would have a moment similar to this and offered a bailout option towards the end of Maple springs but Alib would not have any of that. We are really glad we went ahead and completed the ride as we all got a good sense of accomplishment towards the end.

Thanks Ben for an awesome and painful day I think you'll kick ass on the race

By the way guys, Hammer Nutrition made all this possible for me. No cramping and no bonking out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for sharing the pics and your RR. Really enjoying your posts lately

Good to see Bjammin also. I think the last time I saw him was spectating at the Tour of CA last February

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    That is a big ride indeed. Man, that knee looks nasty.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

Sober for now...
    Thanks for posting up the pictures Barcy.

This ride was both a mental, and physical challenge! I decided that I needed to see where my fitness level was plus I needed to get some serious ride time in. Because this wasn't gonna be hard enough... I decided to put on some heavy-ass tires, and weigh down my Hawg with 170oz. of water/cytomax and stuff it full of all sorts of goodies. All said it weighed in over 30lbs.

I met Ali and Barcy at the gate for Blackstar canyon and we had wheels rolling around 8:30. The climb up Blackstar is really enjoyable with some fantastic views and perfect warm up climbs. We did hit a patch of gooey mud that added another 5lbs to our tires and clung on till we hit Pain Divide. Awesome.

Pain Divide was...well....Pain Divide. Like Robo once said, She's a ***** goddess who gives, then takes away. There were lots of rolling climbs and descents that towards the end of the ride I would come to embrace.

The descent down Motorway is very similar to Trabuco with fast 'n flowy sections followed by chunky rocks stuffed down in newly formed ruts.
    Pure single track goodness!

Once we got to the bottom of Maple Springs we stopped for lunch, talked about how awesome Tim Gunn is, and practiced our Half Moon Poses.

The next part gets a little blurry for me because I was doing some serious battle with my mind and body.

We took off up the 7 mi. Maple Spring's fire road that starts out with 3mi. of pavement that becomes 4 mi. of dirt. I was feeling great up until the dirt and that's when I hit the wall. Everything hurt. I was starting to cramp, my back hurt from the pack, and to top it off, Barcy drank something at MS that shot him out of a cannon and he was gone!

Maple Springs sucked for me.

Once we got to Pain Divide, I offered a bail-out solution but Ali would have nothing of it! Girl can ride and that was the mental strength I needed to get it done. The 6 mi. rolling climbs of PD were a welcome break from the suck-feast of MS. I have never been so happy to be on PD!. Oh, and there was snow, more mud, and it got damn cold...even in the sun.

Next up was round 2 of Motorway. We stopped to practice some more Yoga, eat some food, and rejoice in our accomplishment. Once back down at the bottom, Barcy showed his war-wound. It was a simple tip-over while grabbing something to eat on the bike and not a crash.

The next 6 miles were a quick road spin back to the cars. Thank God it was all down hill.

Awesome ride and thanks to Barcy and Ali for being great riding company.

I hurt today.

Sober for now...
    Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot

Good to see Bjammin also. I think the last time I saw him was spectating at the Tour of CA last February
    Thanks Buddy.
    BTW, I dig the new wheels.

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot

Thanks a lot! My fiance and i are fairly new to mountain biking and we are completely hooked and we enjoy riding different places. Lately, i've been getting the bug of pushing myself to do long punishing rides and really challenge myself.

We enjoy going on your blog as well. Thanks for sharing

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Sounds like my kinda ride! Thanks for sharing

Matt
    I should be out riding....