mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Strawberry Peak trail has been Sanitized!

Guys and gals I am so sad to inform you that this once great coveted trail has been severely sanitized! That's right, leave your skills, full suspension bikes and full face helmets at home because it is not needed here anymore!

I did this ride yesterday with some friends and we were a surpised at how fast we did the ride and how good we felt afterwards. Usually with all the rocks, roots, fallen trees, boulders and other natural trail features, one can feel quite exhausted after this ride especially if your hauling a$$. Now it's welcome to the boardwalk! That's right you can pretty much push a baby stroller all the way through the sections that have been worked. OK maybe I'm exagerating but you get the point. But they ae not finished yet! I am assuming they wil l continue on to Josephine Saddle. When finished this massacre will stretch from Josephine Saddle all the way to where the singletrack gives way to the fireroad near the end of this trail!!

I really would not call this work of art trail maintenance. Trail maintenance is when you cut back the bushes, trim a low branch, maybe even saw through a fallen tree and shore up trails. These guys basically brought in some heavy equiment and completely changed the character of the trail by removing almost everything in sight. Now with mileage aside, El Prieto, La Tuna, Sugar Loaf, Merrils, etc. are tougher than this ride!

Maybe if some of us would have gotten involved (myself included) this could have been avoided. The only real work needed was possibly sawing through one fallen tree and shoring up some of the trail behind Strawberry peak that is falling down. Mother nature will work her magic and bring some character back over time, but maybe not in my lifetime!

I'm off my soap box now. Have a good day!
    Last edited by mtbski; 03-21-2004 at 06:01 PM.

Over the Hill
    That trail has been on my to do list. Even though it has been "sanitized" I am still interested. Could you please post trailhead and trail directions or point me to a online trail review with good directions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have to agree

I've watched the sanitization for the past couple months as they worked thier way towards the meadow. I've cut alot of the fallen trees/overgrowth on this trail in the last five years without too much change. Last month I decided to do the loop backwards to make it harder. I parked at the bottom of Colby Cyn and started from there. As I was climbing the jump section after Redbox I saw a sign on the ground that said to be on the lookout for trail maintenence guys on motorcycles. The sign was on the ground and couldn't be seen going the normal direction. The first thing I thought of was how in the he11 can a motorcycle make it around the loop? It's definetly tougher going backwards. I had to walk a couple spots that were too loose to climb, but I was trying to make it tougher. Didn't see any motorcycles while on the singletrack. I finally get to the saddle at Colby and there they were. Three tote-goat type motorcycles (the kind with big balloon tires) parked at the saddle with the sound of chainsaws down below. I hadn't done Colby in years and it was one of the reasons to do the loop backwards. On the way down I stopped to talk to one of the guys doing the work. He was a Ranger I recognized as the guy who had patched up a buddy of mine that took a spill on Mt. Wilson road. I asked why all the sanitization? Basically he said that they had to try and please all the people all the time, and that the loop was overdue for work for a long time and with limited funds they can't afford to come back any time soon. I asked him if it was fun riding the dirtbikes on the trail and he just smiled. I also asked him what they were going to do about the section right before the meadow (normal direction). He said it may take awhile to get to that because they may come in from the Colby side. He also told me I was the first person on a bike he saw come down Colby. At this point I figured that the trail is overgrown from that point on. Then he says "your going to love the trail, we started from the bottom last week and it's all good from here". Well he was right. I was able to ride about 95% of it this time compared to the last time I rode it. If you've never done Colby now is the time, just watch out for hikers. If you do the loop backwards. Colby is the icing on the cake.

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbski
    Guys and gals I am so sad to inform you that this once great coveted trail has been severely sanitized! That's right, leave your skills, full suspension bikes and full face helmets at home because it is not needed here anymore!
    Full face helmet on Strawberry?

mtbr member

?

hi peoples.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

How about ff on Beaudry South?

Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo

Forget the helmet stuff, what's your take on the trail. Have you done Colby? I'll probably do trail maintenance on Ken Burton this Saturday and get some input from others on Strawberry and other local trails. Hopefully by getting involved I can have some input to help prevent such "trail maintnenance" from occurring too often.
    Last edited by mtbski; 03-23-2004 at 10:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Strawberry Peak Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    That trail has been on my to do list. Even though it has been "sanitized" I am still interested. Could you please post trailhead and trail directions or point me to a online trail review with good directions.
    I start from Grizzly turnout off of HWY 2. I think it's about 5-6 miles north of the 210fwy on the left hand side of the road. I take the fireroad to Hoyt trail up to Clear Creek ranger station then I do Strawberry Peak/Gabrielino route You can also start the ride at this ranger station-about 9 miles north of 210fwy, park on left. You can also get with STJunkie regarding Colby info.

http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/Un...6_4520crx.aspx

Owner-Mass Produced Bike

Hard Rain will reverse all this sanitizing...

Oh wait *#$^@*&*((Er, it doesn't rain in Los Angeles.
    " www.mtbr.com the commercialization of a passion. sickening. "

Cracker-magnon

I have to agree....

Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    I have done it a number of times on my singlespeed in the full lycra get-up, even. It was a fun trail. Not overly techy in my opinion, with the exception of a few of the larger rocks, and the wash outs.
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]