mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Stolen Bikes -La Jolla/Windansea area

Last night had four bikes stolen from my garage. Please be on the lookout for the following;

Cannondale Evo, Ultegra Di2, Blue/White, size 54
    Ibis MOJO SL, XTR, Tricon Wheels, KS Seatpost, Carbon, Size Large
    Cannondale SLICE, Sram, Red/White, size 54
    Santa Cruz BLUR, XTR, Light blue annodized, size Medium

Thanks for any assistance.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about that, thats a lot of nice bikes. Hopefully you have insurance that will cover them. Post up pics if you have them, a lot of people on here seem to have lots of free time to cruise craigslist and might get lucky. Check CL for other locations too, someone I know found her bike on Portland or San Fran CL and was able to recover it locally.

mtbr member
    Make sure to post this on Dirttreaders and Socaltrailriders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    This looks like what just happened to me! several expensive bikes taken from the garage it maybe the same thieves. Do you have any pictures?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Two of the bikes recovered in a remarkable effort by Border Patrol at San Ysidro port of entry. Long story but bikes were coming north from Mexico to US ( a round trip over two days). Result= two felons in jail and hopefully a ring partially broken up. Bike shops and garages are being targeted in San Diego. Make sure of your locks and do not give anyone the keys. Also, make sure you elect Replacement Cost rider on your contents insurance...very inexpensive premium rider.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Takakid View Post
    Two of the bikes recovered in a remarkable effort by Border Patrol at San Ysidro port of entry. Long story but bikes were coming north from Mexico to US ( a round trip over two days). Result= two felons in jail and hopefully a ring partially broken up. Bike shops and garages are being targeted in San Diego. Make sure of your locks and do not give anyone the keys. Also, make sure you elect Replacement Cost rider on your contents insurance...very inexpensive premium rider.
    That's very good news. Keep 'em locked up, but most importantly, keep 'em out of sight. Thieves don't steal what they can't see.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for posting the follow up. I have been suspecting a bike-theft ring operating across the border as I keep reading/hearing about garages getting busted into and lots of high-end bikes being stolen.

One thing I wonder is how the thieves know which garages to target? I only do craigslist transactions away from the house, and have a "privacy zone" set up on Strava so nobody should be able to figure where I live unless they know me or follow me home from a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Takakid View Post

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The police/detectives advise me that bike shops are been targeted and I assume customers are being followed or their information obtained. In my case I believe the thieves knew my home property in detail in order to get into the garage (which was in the middle of the night while we were asleep !). We have had many renovation projects in the neighborhood plus some older neighbors have 24 hour medical/hospice nurses and assistants each day. These bikes went direct to TJ so draw your own conclusion. One other friend living close by had multiple bikes stolen some months ago when he left his garage open and unattended for 20 minutes ! Keep your bikes hidden and locked up, install a security system or simple night light activated by movement. Be very careful of allowing visitors who are unknown to you (tradesmen, nursing staff, cleaners,yard people) from getting direct knowledge of your home.Do not trust any of these people (sad to say). Record the serial numbers of your bikes, take updated (to show the current condition) photos of your bikes plus components and wheels . Make sure you keep the purchase documents plus any upgrades. You may have to prove how you actually paid for the bikes (eg credit card). Do buy Current Cost Replacement on home home contents insurance.
    I should add, the serial numbers on my two missing bikes are:
    Cannondale Slice SE# WM25647 : Santa Cruz Blur Ser# SNAABX03
    One other thing, if you have bikes stolen file an immediate police report, do not touch anything (they may check DNA/fingerprints) and insist the serial numbers be immediately entered in the police computer so they can be matched if the bikes are found. Otherwise the thieves and the bikes may be let go for lack of immediate evidence.