Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

stolen bike alert Karl from The Path

6K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  SilverSpot 
#1 ·
A very special bike was stolen last night.

Many of you have grown to know and love Karl over the last 8 years at The Path. Now he needs your help.

His orange/red custom Denis Duty 29er single speed was stolen from behind the shop. The bike is very easy to identify: minimal logos on the frame, grey (pewter) King ISO hubs, White Industry cranks in black, a black reba fork, stanz 29er rims. You will notice that the bike does not look production. There is a K on the BB shell.

Any help returning this bike to Karl would be greatly appreciated. It was hand built here in Tustin. Karl and Denis put countless hours into this bike.

If you stole it, you should know that you have a very well known and unique bike. A bike that belongs to a well loved member of the Orange County cycling community. It is only a matter of time before somone recognizes it. You should return it imediately.

#2 ·
Sorry to hear that!
Even though I spend a lot of time drooling over the bikes at The Path, I can't say I remember seeing that one by the description. I'm sure if I see it, though, that I'll surely recognize it. Can you post a pic of it?

Last night??? What was it doing out there on a Sunday evening?

I hope you get it back soon!

#5 ·
Check out the style of the frame, note the seat stay cross brace: very easy to spot, no matter what the color of the frame (which can be changed with the shake of a can).

Keep your eye out not only on the trails but the Strand, local coffee hang-outs and bars that are popular "ride to" spots (like in HB, NB and Balboa).

Also, for all of you internet shopping junkies, note the parts and let The PhatMan know if you see something up for sale on Craig's or e-bay (like a set of cranks, etc). Hopefully more parts descriptions will be posted soon to make an i.d. easier.

#9 ·
chances are it was prolly stolen not by a rider but by some trash wandering over from Santa Ana (note: not that all people from SNA are like this). It's sad, as a resident of Tustin (came from LA) of such a short time (almost two years) I can honestly say I've seen the small little city (well at least the northern part of it where I live) slowly take a turn for the worse in all aspects from all types of people. Keep your stuff safe folks and a little common sense goes a long way (not implying that any wasn't used in this case or that anybody lacks it).

#11 ·
jeffj said:
"chances are it was prolly stolen not by a rider but by some trash wandering over from Santa Ana"

Lots of people wandering around with the chili-cookoff (or whatever that was) across the street too.
That's true...i forgot that was this previous sunday. I had plenty of Chili, though I found none that was truly spicy...again :madmax:

#12 ·
Im not trying to be a dick, but can any good come of this?

Unless your dad is the police chief, even if you find the guy that has it, unless you go physically take it from him there is nothing that can be done. And if you arent the owner of the bike and go and do that, you will can be charged with assault. Lets say I bought the bike from some guy and thought it was a legit deal and someone else comes and says, "hey that's Karl's bike" and tries to take it, there is going to be a problem. Or lets say you see your cranks on ebay and call the cops to tell them about it, they arent going to do anything.

I had a guitar stolen once. I know who did it, told the cops and they did nothing. Its a common scenario.

#13 ·
madmatt665 said:
Im not trying to be a dick, but can any good come of this?

Unless your dad is the police chief, even if you find the guy that has it, unless you go physically take it from him there is nothing that can be done. And if you arent the owner of the bike and go and do that, you will can be charged with assault. Lets say I bought the bike from some guy and thought it was a legit deal and someone else comes and says, "hey that's Karl's bike" and tries to take it, there is going to be a problem. Or lets say you see your cranks on ebay and call the cops to tell them about it, they arent going to do anything.

I had a guitar stolen once. I know who did it, told the cops and they did nothing. Its a common scenario.
If the item can be positively identified then you do not have to be the one who stole it to get in trouble with the law for being in posession of stolen property. You do not even have to know that it is stolen. As a buyer it is your responsivbility to know that the used merch that you arre buying is not stollen. Beleve me it would be easy to id this bike beyond any doupt. If we knew where it is we could definetely recover it wothout engageing in any ilegal behavior or police nepotism.

#15 ·
thephat said:
If the item can be positively identified then you do not have to be the one who stole it to get in trouble with the law for being in posession of stolen property. You do not even have to know that it is stolen. As a buyer it is your responsivbility to know that the used merch that you arre buying is not stollen. Beleve me it would be easy to id this bike beyond any doupt. If we knew where it is we could definetely recover it wothout engageing in any ilegal behavior or police nepotism.
good luck

#16 ·
Problem solved.....

....I just stole the bike back.

I had just finished eating sushi at Osaka Kappo and was heading to my car......a bike in a nearby bike rack caught my eye. From 100 feet away I could tell it was Karl's 29er. I was soo freakin giddy I could hardly decide what to do. It was locked up by the front wheel......I undid the front QR and took off running. Threw it on the roof of the car and got the heck outta dodge.

We headed over to the shop and grabbed Karl and a set of bolt cutters. We went back, cut the wheel loose and left the thief a nice little note:)

I'm feeling pretty freakin good right now. I hope some pathetic bike thief has a looooooong walk home late tonight:)

Thanks for keeping your eyes out folks, this one ended happily.

B

#23 ·
donkey said:

I had just finished eating sushi at Osaka Kappo and was heading to my car......a bike in a nearby bike rack caught my eye. From 100 feet away I could tell it was Karl's 29er. I was soo freakin giddy I could hardly decide what to do. It was locked up by the front wheel......I undid the front QR and took off running. Threw it on the roof of the car and got the heck outta dodge.

We headed over to the shop and grabbed Karl and a set of bolt cutters. We went back, cut the wheel loose and left the thief a nice little note:)

I'm feeling pretty freakin good right now. I hope some pathetic bike thief has a looooooong walk home late tonight:)

B
I would have called the police and hung around waiting for the culprit, but it is great to hear

#25 ·
Repo Man...

donkey said:

B
...way to go Repo Man...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.