mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Stolen Bianchi SASS Santa Monica Area

Hi Folks. Just wanted to put the word out my Bianchi SASS was stolen off my hitch rack in the vicinity of 12TH and Arizona area of Santa Monica. Description: MED (17in) chrome Bianchi singlespeed, 26in WTB Speeddisc wheels, Weirwolf 2.1in tires, Fox RL fork, Avid BB7 disc brakes, Thomson post, Thomson stem, WTB rocketV seat, Easton bar, Topeak wireless speedometer, Truvativ cranks, 32 front - 16 rear, 2 elite AL water cage, Ritchey pedals. Its the silver one in the picture taken last week. Thanks for the help and yes, I'll be checking CL and Ebay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stolen Bianchi SASS Santa Monica Area-bianchi2.jpg  

b a n n e d
    I'll keep an eye out . . . I frequent that area and the surrounding neighborhoods. Bummer man, I had my rig stolen a few months ago too.

Was it locked to the rack?
    Last edited by 007; 10-06-2010 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yes. I had a Kryptonite U-lock with a Kryptonite cable wrapped around it.
    The thief(ves) cut part of my yakima rack to peel it off.
    The U-lock was around the frame and rear tire so I'm hoping they have fun sawwing through it today.
    I will "patrol" the neighborhood when we get some sunshine next couple days but I'm really not expecting anything.
    What was your rig?

mtbr member
    Thats lame. I'm in the area, and I'll keep an eye out as well. Not sure how much effort you want to put in to finding it, but I had success tracking down a stolen bike before by using this craigslist search engine. good luck.

http://bike.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/bike.cgi

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I will keep a look out for it (I am in Sunset Park)

If I see it I will attempt recovery.
    Forks are for eating, Lefty's are for racing,

b a n n e d
    I lost a GF Superfly . . . loved that thing. Now however, I have an SC Blur LT

Look on the bright side, at least you have a lovely Ellsworth still. My GF was my only bike. I was outta commission for 6 weeks whilst I waited.

Back on the trails now though! But I'm paranoid about leaving it unattended, even if locked.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    A good friend of mine had a GF Hi Fi plus (blue) stolen in the Venice area several weeks ago.

Having been into high end bikes BMX and now MTB bikes I have learned to never leave my bikes where they are not visible from where I am.

Thieves suck!
    Forks are for eating, Lefty's are for racing,

mtbr member
    Had my Black Market Riot stolen from Santa Monica College about 2 months ago, it was locked up about 30ft away from the Police kiosk next to the pool. Don't really expect to ever see it again but the link posted by kcaz is really cool. Hope you get yours back, i will keep an eye out.

Here's a pic of mine in case anybody sees it transporting some scum bag thief
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stolen Bianchi SASS Santa Monica Area-dj001.jpg  

nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    My buddies Nomad got stolen in Santa Monica as well. And I've been hearing about stolen bikes in Venice all the time. I have been thinking about doing a stake out by baiting these bastards it should be pretty damn easy, especially if you bate them with a decent looking bike. But I will need 2 vehicle, 1 for the bait and the other to monitor these m@%fers. I have this notion that we can follow the perpetrators and find an entire garage full of stolen bikes.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirthugger
    I have this notion that we can follow the perpetrators and find an entire garage full of stolen bikes.
    Highly doubtful . . . however, definitely possible. My guess is that these bikes are taken far, far away and sold. There is a person on CL who posts rather nice bikes for quite cheap of all makes and models, and each one is "like new, ridden less than 30 miles." I've not yet contacted this person . . . could be completely legit (e.g., LBS clearance/demo bikes) but I kinda doubt it.

I like the idea of the sting/ambush, though. It would be awesome to get like 20 bikers sitting around in wait and they all spring when the bait goes. Someone would have to film it and then have the person arrested. It wouldn't take but 4-5 times of this happening publicly before the number of thefts drop. Especially if you could get the police and or media involved.

Edit: I forgot, just the other day I saw a clearly homeless guy riding around on an Ellsworth. I struck up a conversation with him and started asking him questions about it, etc. When I started asking questions about where he got it, he took off. This was near SM Blvd. and 10th.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Such BS!!!
    can I ask how long you were away from the car? I have a Yakima rack and put a Ulock with cable. what part of the rack did they peel off? I try not to leave it, but sometimes I have to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ptfmb71
    Such BS!!!
    can I ask how long you were away from the car? I have a Yakima rack and put a Ulock with cable. what part of the rack did they peel off? I try not to leave it, but sometimes I have to.
    I have both a new yakima double-down hitch and the copperhead fork-mount roof rack.
    For convenience and parking structures, I use the hitch for transport to/from work. Anyway, I had the Kryptonite cable wrapped 2x around the bottom part of the post,
    strung it through the front tire, frame and to the U-lock which secured the rear tire
    and frame. Looked pretty good as a deterrent. The thief(ves) cut 3 rubber band ties and
    the craddles. If you know the double-down model, all you need to do is unhook the
    rubber straps but the thief(ves) wasted no time and simple cut through everything.
    Well I was away for a good 3 hrs (dark and rainy) and my Jeep was parked across
    from my apt complex in a somewhat good neighborhood. My conclusion is the thief(ves)
    just got lucky and came across my bike and they are probably not knowledgeable
    with bike products as they opted to cut the rubber straps and could have shaved off
    a few secs to unhook them instead. But to emphasize other statements, don't leave
    the rigs you care about unattended.