I <3 Dirt

St. George Suggestions

I'm headed to St. George/Hurricane Wed night and we're planning on riding:

• Gooseberry

• Little Creek

• JEM

• Possibly Grafton or Barrel

I've done Gooseberry before, but that's it. With only 3 days to ride do you think we are hitting the classics? I'm posting this here since many people do short roadtrips to Utah.

Thanks

MTC rep for LPCPCAC

Little Creek is a must!

It is the unknown cousin of Gooseberry. Instead of the paint spots, you follow rock towers across vast expanses of slick rock. It becomes more of a point by point thing where you get to choose your lines rather than having them dictated to you. There is much more single track and more exposure. The dirve is easy with a GPS or good directions. Use the following link for some info.

Looking for Little Creek

Best of luck!

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Yeah all good rides. Goose and Little creek for sure. Save Gould/JEM/Hurricane for the day you are feeling strong, but it is a must do ride. I like to stay in springdale and on the last day ride Slickrock Swamp and then drive home. Hope this helps!
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member

e top 3

plus broken mesa for a little ragged dh fun. When you do Jem include hurricane and gould for a nice health XC loop.

mtbr member

Little Creek - Big Loop

Just got back from that area last weekend.

Gooseberry Mesa used to be my favorite trail. We rode Gooseberry on Thursday, and unfortunately one of our friends got shoved off his bike by a branch and won't be riding for a while. I can report that there is a great Urgent Care facility now open in Hurricane!

We rode Little Creek Mesa on Friday. Don't tell my friend who wasn't able to ride, but that is now my new favorite trail. It was amazing how various rock features were all tied together to create this trail. We're now working the sympathy ploy on our wives so we can go back.

There are a lot of rock ledges on both trails, so big tires and lots of suspension made the trail a breeze, but there was nothing so technical that you couldn't have an absolute blast on a single speed either.

Definitely print the maps and pay attention to the rock cairns at Little Creek.

I can't wait to get back!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Devine Intervention; 04-16-2008 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Add Pictures

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Important tidbit on SW Utah....

BRING MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF GOOD BEER WITH YOU.
    It wasn't me

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    For what its worth, you can get decent beer in most chain resturants. I was able to get Sam Adams with no problems at dinner and afterword at the Chili's in St George. The resturants can't call themselves bars but they still serve normal beer. The bartender has to serve it from your side of the bar and you can only have one drink at a time. The bottles have little numbered tags that say do not remove under penalty of law but that was about it.

Real beer exists in St George. I can't speak for others, but I never had a problem finding it.

Leash Law Enforcer
    What kind of riding do you like to do? Regardless, Little Creek and Gooseberry are must dos. I've never ridden JEM or Grafton but all I've read and heard would lead me to believe that they are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Grafton is more of a DH run and JEM a cruiser XC ride. Barrels is a good trail and the locals have built a lot of stuff out there. I would suggest hooking up with some of those guys so that you don't miss any of the goodies.
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    We just came back a couple of weeks ago and rode the same trails you speak of. If you are not with a local or dont have GPS the inner loop of Little Creek may be a little hard to follow. In St George I would recommend Zen. It was the shizzle.

Ride Report here: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...ose-loose.html

goose

jem

zen
    Last edited by Hanzo90802; 04-16-2008 at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    wait a minute. St. George, Utah? I am pretty sure that Utah is not in California (having lived here for 30 sumpin years).
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinch
    What kind of riding do you like to do? Regardless, Little Creek and Gooseberry are must dos. I've never ridden JEM or Grafton but all I've read and heard would lead me to believe that they are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Grafton is more of a DH run and JEM a cruiser XC ride. Barrels is a good trail and the locals have built a lot of stuff out there. I would suggest hooking up with some of those guys so that you don't miss any of the goodies.
    I appreciate everyone's responses and help. Hopefully I'll have some decent pics to post after the trip.

I guess we are "all mountain" types. Comfortable doing small hucks and riding uphill. I'm going with a couple of friends and two of their friends that I don't know but I think they have similar riding styles.

We like more techy riding, but riding as many fun and different trails as we can is what I'm pushing towards.

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by mild beast
    wait a minute. St. George, Utah? I am pretty sure that Utah is not in California (having lived here for 30 sumpin years).
    Huh? Who said St. George, CA?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Here's a good site for Utah Mountain Biking - http://utahmountainbiking.com/. There's lots of videos and trail descriptions.

If you want a short, but incredibly fun ride check out Bearclaw Poppy (aka Green Valley Trail). It's local (in Bloomington), and a good ride to do on your last day before heading home. The exit is the last exit in the St. George area when heading back to Socal. It's only about 10 miles, but there are ways to make it longer.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Mmmmm....St. George. Not too hot yet, so get it while the gettin's good.