mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Ss Orange County

Okay I know there are a lot of "I'm visiting So Cal" topics right now, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm coming down from Nor Cal, and will be staying in Costa Mesa for a couple weeks and will be bringing my 32/20 29er SS.

I would like to do some fun rides that are not too far to drive to. For anyone whos ridden some trails in SF Bay Area, im looking for trails similar to Annadel, or Skeggs, Saratoga Gap, China Camp, Tamarancho, etc. Annadel being my favorite. Anything like that down there?

OR what do you singlespeeders love riding in Orange County?

TiA

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Warrior's Society
    We SS'ers in So Cal ride a bit of everything. Seriously, I ride the SS anywhere I would ride my Tallboy. There is a certain amount ofsatisfaction cleaning techy sections up and down on the SS. Even more fun to pass the guys on 5-6" travel bikes on the techy descents.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    I'm not familiar with the SF trails, but, wouldn't you rather ride SoCal trails while in SoCal? Whats the point of going someplace new and riding the same trails you always do?

That said, my limited experience riding would recommend visiting Aliso, San Juan trails, Santiago Oaks, or any route up to Santiago Peak and enjoy multiple routes down. All of these i've done on my rigid SS, but, have enough to warrant some squish as well. Matter of fact, i'm hoping to ride Aliso on Monday morning. If you're visiting soon, i could give you a tour.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Ss Orange County

Thanks for the suggestions! Ill be sure to check some of those out. I just wanted to get an idea on some of the trails out there. The reference to the norcal trails were more to show what type of trails and level of riding I was interested in. I like technical, but not crazy downhill rock garden gnar. I also find fireroads nice, relaxing and bordering boredom. Lastly I'm not in the best shape and try to avoid the inevitable 3rd gear (walking). I don't mind walking up if it's too technical. It's walking up because it's too steep and I don't have enough momentum, or the climb was too long for my no endurance having fool, that bothers me. Yeah I know, I need to HTFU.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, any specific routes you'de recommend?

mtbr member
    If you like fireroads, then Blackstar, Maple Springs, or Harding Truck Trail will give you 1-4hrs of straight climbing all the way to Santiago Peak if you wish. There you can come straight back down the fireroad, Joplin, or head out Holy Jims for some tight singletrack with switchbacks. These are around Trabuco Canyon and Silverado, CA. Aliso has a good mix of routes depending on conditioning and skill. I suck at climbing, but, do that better than technical descents. Yet have a blast there every time i ride.

mtbr member
    Try Whiting Ranch. It has a good blend of short steep climbs and a couple of longer climbs if you choose but they are not that steep (except for Dreaded Hill). There are enough side trails and loop variations to make it fun and keep you huffing while smiling. It has a combo of tree covered flowing trails and some butt kickers for the SS.
    You can even tie into the Santiago Truck Trail or Oneil park to add hours and many miles.
    Ride loops can be just under an hour to many hour rides. There are good maps on the website and plenty of other riders to talk to while riding.
    I would be willing to jump on my SS and give you a basic loop tour and show you around with plenty of rest breaks.
    It is very easy to figure out the trail loops at Whiting.
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member
    Here is the link to the OC Parks website with info, maps and directions to Whiting and other areas in the OC.
    Orange County, California - Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park
    I hope it helps.
    Pedal Dammit!

I'm your density
    It's about 30-35 miles from Costa Mesa, but since you have a couple weeks you should try San Clemente single tracks aka Weedpatch. I've ridden my 32x20 29er there and had a lot of fun.

Mountain Biking the San Clemente Singletracks of San Onofre State Beach
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Yep, lots of fun on the SS, but you'll need to get a guide to do it right. Elcap on socaltrailriders.org lives nearby and could probably help you out. Also, Laguna Coast Wilderness (especially Boat Canyon) and El Moro State Park starting from Ridge Park is a good combo ride with ocean views, but, again, a guide will make a big difference. Santiago Oaks is also a fun park with a bit of Annadel-ish chunk.

I'd help ya out, but we moved up to San Jose. If you haven't ridden UCSC/Wilder yet, shoot me a PM some time. It's a blast!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I'm going to try and hit up Aliso/Woods Canyon or Laguna Coast Wilderness (still haven't decided which yet) tomorrow AM, then Whiting maybe Thursday (or go check out Huntington Beach Surf Contest), and Weedpatch and/or Whiting hopefully next week.

Any tips, route suggestions, warnings before I head out?

mtbr member
    If you head to Aliso, stop in at the ranger office and ask for a map. It will help you see the trails and figure out a good route.
    I recomend riding in the main trail to the bottom of Cholla, head up to the upper trail to the Top of the World, head down Mathis or Rock it and return to the main trail. It should be a good loop with some decent climbing and mileage for the SS. Also a good idead for different routes at a later time.
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicFitzzz View Post
    Okay I know there are a lot of "I'm visiting So Cal" topics right now, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I'm coming down from Nor Cal, and will be staying in Costa Mesa for a couple weeks and will be bringing my 32/20 29er SS.

I would like to do some fun rides that are not too far to drive to. For anyone whos ridden some trails in SF Bay Area, im looking for trails similar to Annadel, or Skeggs, Saratoga Gap, China Camp, Tamarancho, etc. Annadel being my favorite. Anything like that down there?

OR what do you singlespeeders love riding in Orange County?

TiA

SS Bliss

Geoladders -- Holy Jim - Trabuco (Short Loop)

Geoladders -- San Juan Trail (bottom half)

ps. As others have said lots of good places to ride

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Oh, I almost forgot... Since you're staying in Costa Mesa, you can make a fun little local loop by combining the trails in Canyon Park (around the perimeter), Talbert, and Fairview parks. Talbert and Fairview border the Santa Ana River, and have trails that meander through them and crisscross the fireroads. Explore and have fun!

And you're only about 30 minutes away from the Laguna Coast/El Moro trailhead at Ridge Park (Newport Coast). Most of the best trails there are currently undocumented, so a guide would help.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey