mtbr member
    Jan 2004

SS gear combos...

Hi all,

I'm in the process of building up my first singlespeed. Yeah, woot. Anyway, with this being my first SS, I have no clue what gear combo I want to run. Also, this bike is also being pieced together with random parts, so I'd like to get close to the "right" gearing without having to blow x dollars over-and-over to get the drivetrain right.

Note, I'm in okay-to-decent shape and most of my riding (xc-ish) is done in Orange County. The bike will be a Sycip with 26" wheels.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andrew

_
    Mar 2004
    i'm fairly new to the 29er s/s scene and am running a 32:22 right now. for ME, its a good ratio and is allowing me to clean more climbs than i would with a smaller tooth count in the back. of course the downside is that i suffer in the flats, but the 29 inch wheels keep my speed rolling pretty well, and besides, most trails that i ride are rarely flat, im usually climbing or descending to a degree. many say that combo is equivelant to a 30:20 on a 26er...or is it 32:20?

OMR - Old Man Riding

Try this on for size....

Quote Originally Posted by drgthumbs
    Hi all,

I'm in the process of building up my first singlespeed. Yeah, woot. Anyway, with this being my first SS, I have no clue what gear combo I want to run. Also, this bike is also being pieced together with random parts, so I'd like to get close to the "right" gearing without having to blow x dollars over-and-over to get the drivetrain right.

Note, I'm in okay-to-decent shape and most of my riding (xc-ish) is done in Orange County. The bike will be a Sycip with 26" wheels.

Andrew
    The great thing about single speeds is that you can change rear cogs pretty easily. I'd start out with a 32 X 22 at first then when your feeling stronger start going lower.. 32 X 20 which is pretty popular in OC, then 32X19... etc, etc as you get stronger.... and you'll be surprised at how quickly your legs will get stronger.... then pretty soon you'll be wanting a 29er as they make the BEST single speeds.

Enjoy your new ride.

OMR
    Older than Dirt!!!

mtbr member
    I'm currently riding 32:21 on my 29er, but I'm more of a spinner than a masher. On my old 26" bike, I ran a 32:18, but I think I would have cleaned more climbs if I had a 32:19 combo.

pewpewpew Moderator
    I liked 34:20 on my first SS (which was a sycip as well!).
    I could clean a good proportion of stuff on it. It is 44 gear inches and that is the same gear I run on my niner.

Check here to calculate yours..
    Love, Impy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drgthumbs
    Hi all,

Andrew
    The best gearing is one that allows you to run without a tensioner. The feeling of smoothness (and safety) overcomes any fussing about ratios. There is no best gear, each one is best a particular time and place.