ronbo613

Springtime in SoCal

Hello everyone-I've been reading the posts here for some time, thought I'd post a few photos. My buds and I ride whenever we can, we've ridden many trails for many years. We still love to ride now as much as we did when we had that first factory Stumpjumper.
    I take lots of photos and videos when we are riding, maybe I'll see you out there.
    Happy trails.........
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    what kind of camera do you use?

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Where is that dry cracked lake bottom? Looks stunning.

ronbo613
    I've been using a Canon EOS 20D with a Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens.

The dry lake is Clark Dry Lake near Borrego Springs. What you can't see in this photo is the 30mph wind. If it were not for the heavy winter rain here, it would have been a blinding sandstorm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    how do you carry your digital camera? i'm afraid all the vibration and possibility of crashing will damage the camera. My last digital camera last for 5-6 years and die without any reason.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenbike
    Where is that dry cracked lake bottom? Looks stunning.
    Guessing the Racetrack in Death Valley, but small chance ..

ronbo613
    how do you carry your digital camera?
    In a backpack with a chest strap. The camera is in a ziploc plastic bag, wrapped in a bath towel that fits into piece of 1/4" closed cell foam that is folded in sort of a "U" shape on the bottom of the backpack.
    If you are serious about taking photos with a good camera, you have to forget about high-performance riding. Photographer first, rider second when you've got expensive gear on board. I have a small beater digicam I take if I think it might be too dangerous for the big camera.
    I've found the riders I go with will wait for me to catch up when they know they will have some killer shots of them at the end of the ride!

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Search General Discussion

Not so sound like a "Do-A-Search-First" poster, but do a search in the General Discussion board. I posted a question there several months ago and got some great responses. I ended up getting a cell phone holster from Cameback at REI. It holds my little digi quite well. I have a Casio QV-R51. The camer has been great. Not so good in low light conditions but I don't ride then much anymore, so no big deal.

ronbo613
    I don't mind revealing my camera case secrets. I carry all kinds of video and still camera gear while bike riding, snowboarding and ocean kayaking. I don't think I've ever owned a "camera bag". Sometimes, cameras like the 20D/10-22mm zoom are a little big for anything but a backpack.
    Anyhow, we were out riding today, taking photos. It was a beautiful day, just like all the other days when you're riding.

Sorry, this post was supposed to go at the end of the thread-still getting the hang of these forums.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    [QUOTE=ronbo613]I've been using a Canon EOS 20D with a Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens.
    QUOTE]

That was a really good camera with fish-eye lens, i an still afraid of taking a camera like this on trail, usually just my 3-mp point and shoot, but the results are different: your picture quality and zoom ability are definately better. Great picures!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    I've been using a Canon EOS 20D with a Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens.

The dry lake is Clark Dry Lake near Borrego Springs. What you can't see in this photo is the 30mph wind. If it were not for the heavy winter rain here, it would have been a blinding sandstorm.

that photo is way cool
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

ronbo613
    That area is only rideable every once and a while. Got to have heavy and recent rain. Must ride within 48 hours of the rainstorm otherwise there's too many sand traps. There are some Indian ruins at the end of the valley, we tried to make it there but the wind was so gnarly we could only make it part of the way. It was raining on the other side of the mountains and the storm was literally spilling over the peaks and into the desert floor.

Merrrrjig
    Jan 2004
    Great shots! When I had my little sony camera I bought a pelican mini case for it. its smash proof!

ronbo613
    I bought a pelican mini case for it. its smash proof!
    I love bike riding, but I make my living in the water. All my luggage is by Pelican.