Its only 1" on the map!

Smile Spring in Hollenbeck Canyon in LoSoCal (Passion X-post)

I had heard about this trail system almost a year ago, but it was not until a few weeks ago that I ventured out into the eastern part of San Diego County near the small rural community of Jamul to check out the small canyon preserve of Hollenbeck Canyon. I believe I must have hit this area at the most green time of the year as it was quite alive with color. I put in about 16 miles while meandering around out there, but there is potential for much more mileage by venturing out of the Hollenbeck Canyon area on several of the fireroads that goes beyond this area.

Here is some of the scenery I took in on my solo day of play out there.

These pans are larger sized files, some up to 800KB.

Views (left to right) of the San Ysidro and Jamul Mountains as well as San Miguel Mountain in the distance.

A pretty cool Oak Grove

Hollenbeck Canyon Singletrack

The bike stopping to smell the flowers.

For the rest of the pictures, review and directions go here.
    -Bill

mtbr member
    awesome pictures as usual bill!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Great shots Bill! I rode out there once on a solo recon about a year ago. I headed east at the stream crossing and climbed the fireroads to the top. There are a couple of moto playgrounds up there and a few singletrack sections.

I've been meaning to get back out there as there is a trail that comes down into the canyon from the northeast that I missed picking up from the top last time.

There is definitely a fair amount to explore out there.

I <3 Dirt
    Nice to see someone else enjoying Hollenbeck. I've never seen another rider out there as long as I've ridden out there.

Glad to Be Alive
    very nice pics
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Rockfish
    Bill,
    Glad to see you made it out there. I've ridden Hollenbeck Canyon 6 times in the last year...one of my favorites. Four of us just rode out there last Sunday. We did a 13 miler with both an eastern and western loop.

Poster Nutbag,
    Attached is a zipped Google Earth file (.kmz) that contains a ride profile for Hollenbeck. It has the downhill through the actual Hollenbeck Canyon... the one you missed. It's worth the climbing. If you haven't used Google Earth before, install the free version from google.com, open the .kmz file, then choose 'play tour' for Hollenbeck. You will be taken on a three-dimensional virtual tour of the ride.

- Brett
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    greats pics. from Vista how long did it take to get there.

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by CRASH
    greats pics. from Vista how long did it take to get there.
    I would say on an average early weekend morning traffic, maybe an hour and 15 mins.