Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Spring canyon, the party is over

If you're willing to accept this, cool.

If not, here is the most recent work from the city of San Diego. This included a Ranger, a truck and advising people to not ride the "trails that do not exist"

Standby for fun and exciting rider plans to ride Saturday mornings on "legal" trails!!
    Spring canyon, the party is over-photo-10.jpg

I <3 Dirt
    More fun at Missing Trails Regional Park.

King of Middle Earth
    If I could ride through and over that stuff, anyone could. And I know I could.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

Beer Please!
    I am not sure a bunch of dead branches is better for the environment or looks better than an existing trail.... Now what are the deer, rabbits and Coyotes going to do, that was the wildlife's trail as well.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member

The place is a sad joke.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    The place is a sad joke.
    Agreed, I am done with SD. Did they do anything to any other trails?
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Certifiably Crazy
    What "trail" was this? I see the bridge, but I have a hard time discerning which one it is.
    2011 Felt Z5
    2012 Felt Nine Race
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloswithac View Post
    What "trail" was this? I see the bridge, but I have a hard time discerning which one it is.
    It's the first little bit of singletrack as you head north under the 52. It's about 50 yards long and it runs on a diagonal between the north/south fireroad and the second east/west fireroad. It's not a big deal trail to lose, but it is troubling that they're beginning to shut things down.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Canaan View Post
    It's the first little bit of singletrack as you head north under the 52. It's about 50 yards long and it runs on a diagonal between the north/south fireroad and the second east/west fireroad. It's not a big deal trail to lose, but it is troubling that they're beginning to shut things down.
    This particular trail is kinda redundant because there are 3 other ways through the same area but like you said it is troubling as an indicator of things to come. If they pull the same crap on 3 barrels, toads and some of the other single tracks it would be a real bummer. Lets hope they run out of deadfall.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The "Strange Bedfellows" have WON.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I wonder what the Fire Marshall thinks about mass spreading of dry tinder in a fire prone area?

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Just me View Post
    I wonder what the Fire Marshall thinks about mass spreading of dry tinder in a fire prone area?
    Go light it on fire and leave a note saying "bad idea".
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I am not sure a bunch of dead branches is better for the environment or looks better than an existing trail.... Now what are the deer, rabbits and Coyotes going to do, that was the wildlife's trail as well.
    Well, I guess they'll have to just HTFU, or the F&W 'occifers' are gonna write them up too! As for us, it looks like time to shop for Lycra!

mtbr member
    Ok, just a thought... the city rangers don't really want to close trails or be in the enforcement business. They'll only do this stuff to appease the demands on them by the "agencies" (USFW, CDFW). So maybe, just maybe, they've closed this fairly visible but inconsequential trail so they can show the agencies "good faith" and maybe ease up the pressure to do more. Yeah, call me a pollyanna, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over losing this trail.

BTW, I doubt they'll touch 3 Barrels because most of it is outside of their area of interest (i.e. it's within USMC boundaries).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocd View Post
    If you're willing to accept this, cool.

If not, here is the most recent work from the city of San Diego. This included a Ranger, a truck and advising people to not ride the "trails that do not exist"

Standby for fun and exciting rider plans to ride Saturday mornings on "legal" trails!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-10.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	845660
    This is what Deer Dancer and the squiggly highline trail between it and Teote also looks like now.

most memberable
    May 2011
    This is what happens when some trail areas get too popular. Heck, I was hiking up Iron Mountain today and reminisced about the good old days (15-20 years ago) when I used to ride Iron Mountain, Mt Woodson, Black Mountain, MTRP, Cowles Mtn, etc...and there were almost nobody out there except a few hardy bikers and trail runners. Now, all those places are littered with day hikers and w/e wannabees. You used to be able ride ALL the trails in MTRP...now, only those signed with bikes allowed or multi-use. Ahhh, the good ol days!

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    This is what happens when some trail areas get too popular.
    Mountain biking got popular again... it had died off for a while but it's back in full swing.

There's due to be some gnarly trail conflict in Mission Trails. More hikers, more joggers, more bike on the "legal" trails and there's going to be issues.

Funny thing is, Saturday the ranger was camped out near this mess/just up the hill at Deer Dancer (DD and the squiggly were not covered in deadfall at that time). While this took place, no one seemed to police the organized walk/hike/jog thing that was taking place near the Jackson drive lot. There wasn't sufficient trash cans for the event, they left the trash out in bags. The bags have since been torn open and as of this morning, trash surrounded the parking area (water cups, snack bags, etc). I'm sure the addition of 4 rangers will address this (they're coming) but currently, the needed duties seem to be ignored while trail police advise people trying to get some exercise to go elsewhere.
    Sad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingScott View Post
    This is what Deer Dancer and the squiggly highline trail between it and Teote also looks like now.
    Deer Dancer is blown out in a lot of places, so it's not a huge loss, but the little connector from Teote to the first fire road was fun and in pretty good shape. Mark my words, it's only a matter of time until L-1/Teote and 3B are blocked off as well.

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Canaan View Post
    Mark my words, it's only a matter of time until L-1/Teote and 3B are blocked off as well.
    You mean the new deadfall on the side of the trail isn't there to "mark the path to grandmas house" ??

If you look closely, you will see more and more "staging areas" and small piles accumulating.

mtbr member

I keep wondering: are there other parts of the country where the second biggest user group is so regularly pooped upon by the authorities? Or is that just what makes Cali special?

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    I keep wondering: are there other parts of the country where the second biggest user group is so regularly pooped upon by the authorities? Or is that just what makes Cali special?
    I don't think other put up with it like "we" do.

Steamboat Springs Trails Alliance just submitted a major proposal, I've read a lot of it. It's not amateur, it's legit, possibly a template for others, should they want to spend the time reading it.

Steamboat Springs Trails

Overall it's relatively a joke. You can close an area, the riders are going to go to... other areas, few of which are legal. In the end, new trails arise, you end up with twice as many environmental problems. But that doesn't matter, it's a NIMBY attitude from the top down.

The master plan meetings wrapped up in... 2011 and we're "just about" to get a preview of the new master plan ??

Elsewhere in Cali, land managers are working with rider and making incredible improvements. This isn't a statewide issue. Many of the EIR, CEQA, liability and other excuses we've heard for years are starting to truly look like BS. It's simply a city that doesn't want to work with a few user groups. Even worse, it's really seems like it's just a few handfuls of people.

By the way, there will be a new multi-million dollar structure breaking ground off Mast Blvd soon. Bet that moves quickly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Whatever happened down in SD county? I always thought that SD was more open minded, it seems the powers that be down there are always fighting against the trail users. You guys have(had) tons of awesome stuff, hope something works out in your guys favor one day. Although I'm from Big Bear, which is seeing a boom in trails being built, I've ridden PQ, Daley Ranch, Elfin, Hodges and Calvera, hate to hear that you are losing some access to great trails....keep up the fight!

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Whatever happened down in SD county? I always thought that SD was more open minded, it seems the powers that be down there are always fighting against the trail users. You guys have(had) tons of awesome stuff, hope something works out in your guys favor one day. Although I'm from Big Bear, which is seeing a boom in trails being built, I've ridden PQ, Daley Ranch, Elfin, Hodges and Calvera, hate to hear that you are losing some access to great trails....keep up the fight!
    I heard talk that there was going to be a mass exodus of mtn bike riders from the SD area. Their plan was to relocate and start off fresh in the San Bernardino mountains.

Whaduya think of that Jeff?
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It's really about what makes coastal San diego 'special' here Coastal and up to about 10 miles inland.
    What makes for the magic here is the 'special' relationship between unions, big real estate developers, and local and state officials. For every new area of mesas and canyons, or any open space, for that matter, that gets developed, other remaining open space must be mandated for 'pristine habitat' designation. That means no more trails for the peons.

So we watch our tax money being spent to pay armed goons to ticket us for trespassing on newly 'pristine' habitat.
    What's contributed to this has been , up to now, the 'libertarian' type view of most mtb riders. Most SD riders don't want to be bothered with organizing and such. So, even though many of us are homeowners and professionals, it's easy to kick us down and out of the new 'pristine' areas where we have been using the same trails for 20 years or more, in some cases.
    Recently, the USMC got into the act too. They even closed down the Stowe trail, on the vey periphery of their massive base. It is actually a historical ranch trail, at least 100 years old.

But mostly it's the 'strange bedfellows' relationship between the developers and the local and State authorities. They rail against tree-huggers crying over 'fairy shrimp' on land they want to bulldoze flat for a new tract of townhomes and McMansions, but immediately become 'environmentalists' themselves when it is 'mitigation time'. Then fairy shrimp and horney toads are found to be getting decimated by those darned mtb riders. Even those riders who bought homes adjacent to the open space with the understanding that it would remain 'open space'. The realtors just left out that it wouldn't be 'open' to THEM!

I'm your density
    San Diego mountain biking news lately feels like

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast