feeling squirrelly

Southridge Park - Fontana

Wondering if someone can help me out with tire and bike selection for Southridge Park. I've never ridden in So Cal before and will be racing there next weekend. Is anyone familiar with that course? Hard tail or full suspension? Are the trails hard packed, sandy, loose, etc? Thanks for any feedback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    x country or downhill??
    its slippery hard pack, with lots of rocks BIG ROCKS and the DH has a lot of PEDALING, it will probably be hot and the air will be thick with smog-------

feeling squirrelly
    Oh sorry, I forgot to put what discipline I was looking for info on. The cross country course was what I am looking for info on. Thanks!

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by badjenny
    Oh sorry, I forgot to put what discipline I was looking for info on. The cross country course was what I am looking for info on. Thanks!
    The climbs are mostly fireroad with one steep paved. The flat sections are hardpacked. The course has some loose, sandy downhill sections with some medium sized braking bumps. Other than that, I'd say go with a hardtail with moderately aggressive tires. No semi-slicks. Full suspension is overkill, unless you're not used to a bumpy course.

Good luck!
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Was there sun. on the new Kenda small block 8's and really liked them.
    The brake bumps and ruts are in there infancy, sure to grow do to the dry conditions.
    I'm going to be one of the last ones to race the course and will be on a dual suspension!

mtbr member
    the XC course is definitely best suited for a hardtail or a FS bike like an Epic. i use Panaracer Fire XC's and those work very well there. there are ruts that run the length of some singletrack sections, other than that there are no issues to really worry about on the whole course, you can do the whole loop on your middle ring if your a strong climber.

BTW, i'll be there @ 5:30 pm tonight doing a easy-paced ride ( i drive a red nissan pick-up)

feeling squirrelly
    Thank you so much for all the feedback. We are travelling from Nor Cal so I don't want to bring two bikes. Looks like it's the hardtail!! She'll be happy, she hasn't gotten much play since the full suspension came along a few weeks ago.