Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Think Circles!

Southern California Trailhead Map

Hey folks, I posted this on STR as well, but don't know how many go between both sites. Anyway, the more the merrier.

I was looking for a map of all of the local trailheads so I could get a better idea of where they are. I've searched 3 different MTB sites and couldn't find one so decided to make one. I've used www.mountainbikebill.com to locate the trailheads on the map and marked them, along wit adding links back to MBB's write ups and info.

I've only filled in the San Diego area so far but i plan to keep working on it. The Map is set up a public and anyone can edit it. So if you'd like to contribute, please do. If I find it becomes vandalized or inaccurate I can always specify delegates for editing.

Click on the image and it will take you to the map.

Front Range, Colorado
    Looking good! It's about time someone did that.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-03-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Dave, great job!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Think Circles!
    thanks guys, the folks of at STR have alrady filled in a bunch of the north county spots and some down in chula vista...

ridin' Mary
    That's great! Thanks!

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Dave,

Great work! BUT.....you missed what is probably one of the busiest trail heads. The parking area at the very east end of West Hills High School on Mast Blvd in Santee. There are prob OVER 100 riders on weekend days that start and end their ride there. It's the un-official south entrance to Sycamore Canyon trail network. On second thought....since it is not "official", best to keep it off the map........
    Last edited by CEB; 06-04-2008 at 10:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Only San Diego? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sincerely,

Erik- The Real OC. haha.

Think Circles!
    haha, if you have a look at it... there has already been a bunch more added further north

edit: I updated the pic to reflect the updates on the map
    Last edited by DaveMW; 06-04-2008 at 08:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice work.
    Don't forget to unswerve!

mtbr member
    Great idea. Added some myself....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Man, this is pretty awesome. Just now I was trying to figure out how to get to San Juan and now I know. Sweeet.

mtbr member
    Thank you.... Thank you.... Thank you... Thank you.... Thank you.... Thank you... Thank you.... Thank you.... Thank you... Thank you.... Thank you.... Thank you...
    This should be a sticky or something. Let's keep this up, I'll see what I can contribute that is missing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Great idea, I will add trails in the conejo valley and agoura hills/calabasas area. this user generated content will spread like a wildfire!

Think Circles!
    Thanks for all the adds guys, hopefully the nor-cal folks will start adding spots to the map as well. Its always nice to know where the trails are if you are traveling away from home.

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMW
    Thanks for all the adds guys, hopefully the nor-cal folks will start adding spots to the map as well. Its always nice to know where the trails are if you are traveling away from home.
    This thing could spread all over the US. Great idea!

Think Circles!
    Any Chance this could be made as a sticky? I think It will help a lot of folks out.

mtbr member
    How the heck do you edit map? Would add stuff but dont know how.

Also is there any reason this cannot be cross posted to every regional or state forum?

The idea of a national or worldwide map with trailheads and info listed on it by riders is staggering. Thanks a million DaveMW.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Awesome. Huge thanks!

I loaded into Google Earth and noticed there are already a few additions up north.

It would be cool if every geographic forum on MTBR had this same type of thread posted as a sticky. Then when someone is going there they wouldn't have to post the "Coming to your town, where should I ride?" thread that comes up daily. They would just have to load the maps into Google Earth and it's all there.

Think Circles!
    Okie Dokie, You need to have a google log in or a gmail account to be able to edit the map. Once you have that you should be able to see the edit button on the left side of the screen.

I would definitely like to post this in all the regional forums but hate to step on any toes by "spamming" the site.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    It might be hard to manage and ensure quality/accuracy if one "map" was created incorporating all geographies. I was thinking more of just the other areas following your lead and creating their own maps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    One more question, how do i enter a link, other than just copy and pasting the http address? I know there are a lot of mountain bike bill links. how do I get it to display just the website name, instead of that long web address?

Think Circles!
    You need to select rich text button, then highlight the words you want to make a link and click the little chain link icon under the word "rich text"

Thanks!

mtbr member

Great Idea!

I added a marker for the Backbone Trailhead in Santa Monica and put a link to the map on my blog. Too bad only a few people read it.

Think Circles!
    Great Blog Mark... I've got it bookmarked now!

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMW
    Great Blog Mark... I've got it bookmarked now!
    Me too. Your readership is going up!
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast