mtbr member

sorry another moving to LA post

I'm being transferred to our office in South Pasadena from Tempe AZ and will be heading out next weekend to find an apartment. Our office is on the corner of the 110 and Fair Oaks. Everyone I have talked to says to live in Silver Lake. So I'm looking there, Eagle Rock, and SoPas. I'm leaning towards Silver Lake as I hear the nightlife is good and its about halfway between work and the beach. I grew up surfing in Florida and have been making monthly trips out to San Clemente for the past few years so I'm stoked to be closer to the ocean again! I would love to live in Santa Monica and could probably swing only going into the office about 2-3 days a week for a while but eventually it will be 4 days/wk.

So how are these areas to live/ride? Any suggestions for trails to ride?

Thanx!

Glad to Be Alive
    most of your driving will be back and forth to work, so I would try and get a place near there. So Pas, Eaglerock, Verdugo Hills, are all easy comutes......Pasadena hs old town for a nice nightlife...and then their are somegreat trails close by too....going to Silver Lake at night will be hardly any traffic past 8.....beaches are within an hour
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    it's going to be tough to go wrong if you get a place close to work... the san gabriels in your back yard... talk about awesome riding... let the surfing go... too expensive to drive to the beach from there unless you own a prius...use the money you save on gas on new bike stuff... welcome to So Cal!
    Simi Cycling Center
    Simi's Premier Bicycle Shop, Since 1975
    Specialized, Giant and More...

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    yep ! you might wanna consider somewhere else other than silver lake, if going out at night is one of the reason why you wanna move there think again. you will most likely be partying with gay dudes ! unless you dont mind.

silver lake = home of the butt pirates lolz jk. well other than west hollywood.

a little down the street you'll be in glendale, that if you dont mind getting bomb'd on ! hahaha.

sorry man i just wanna give you a heads up. haha

i say move somewhere really close to your work and save your self some time and gas, where ever you move here in california you will hit traffic anyways and that will kill you on gas regardless. even if you live somewhat close to the beach, traffic in LA is just horible.

by the way just to let you know, id rather live around south pasadena just bcoz thats where all some of the nice hunnies are at. good luck on the rent though !
    Last edited by Newbie Wan Kenobi; 07-09-2008 at 01:28 AM.
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

mtbr member
    Got a place in South Pasadena about 2 blocks from work. I figured dealing with traffic everyday would not be worth it. Now I just need to get some info on where to do some mtn. & road rides!

Thanks!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball
    Got a place in South Pasadena about 2 blocks from work. I figured dealing with traffic everyday would not be worth it. Now I just need to get some info on where to do some mtn. & road rides!

Thanks!

just look up in there hills....tons of stuff to ride
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

Check out this link..

SoCal MountainBikers website. Here's their trails page:
    http://socalmtb.com/socal/trails/
    Smart move to be so close to work - that alone can be the key to your sanity.
    There used to be some microbreweries in Pasadena, maybe there still are.
    Betcha you can find some SoCal surf websites,too.
    Have fun!

suspension whore
    some damm fine riding in the san gabriels, very close to were you ended up.
    drop me a PM when you get settled and join the sunday morn climb and descent down the front side of Mt Lowe.
    Check out Eagle Rock for night life as well, especially if you find Pasadena and south Pas a little commercial.
    cheers
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

mtbr member

Smile

South Pas is a great area! Hop on the 110 and you are 25min from the beach with no traffic and you are 10 min from some great trails. We ride Cherry Canyon, Brown Mountain/El Prieto, La Tuna Canyon, San Merril, Heneger, Chantry, etc etc etc. We have a group we ride with and ride minimum 2 days a week and at least once on the weekend.

Do You Like To Climb?
    Sep 2004
    Some excellent riding out there in SoCal. I liked that I could leave right from my apartment and head up to the hills. Glendale over to Eagle Rock then on to Pasadena. . . .

mtbr member

Another resource

Here's another resource:
    http://www.socaltrailriders.org/