mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Some Help With Los Penasquitos Canyon

Hey Guys,
    I have been out to these trails a few times because they are right next to my work, I usually start at the parking lot on Sorrento Valley but I can't really seem to put together a very fun ride. Can any of you locals reccomend a good route with some fun singlestrack form this starting point
    Thanks
    Brian

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

go this way

Quote Originally Posted by Brik
    Hey Guys,
    I have been out to these trails a few times because they are right next to my work, I usually start at the parking lot on Sorrento Valley but I can't really seem to put together a very fun ride. Can any of you locals reccomend a good route with some fun singlestrack form this starting point
    Thanks
    Brian
    go from the parking lot and head west. you can either ride on the south side main dirt road or you can ride on the north side mostly ST which ultimately connects up to a trail called Bridges. To get to the north side, just head back to Vista Sorrento Parkway from the main parking lot and hand a right. go over the bridge and immediately after the bridge hang a hard left. It'll be doubletrack for a bit but then turns to ST. Stay on this section and you'll be parallell to the stream and the south side dirt road.

after about 4 miles or so you'll come to an intersection. From the south side trail just take the first obvious left and cross the stream. from the bridges trail, there are some other trails that join your trail from the left but the trail you want is one that has an obvious and wide junction to the left and the right. on the Bridges trail, just don't take a left unless it's onto a trail that also has a right and you'll be fine.

turn left and go up the climb (known as powerline or telephone pole depending on who you ask). at the top of the climb, turn left. take the first right. follow the trail until you go underneath some power lines. this is the top of the section known as The Shits. Descend the shits.

at the pond, turn right. you'll come to a branch in the trail. both trails go to the same place but the right one is a bit easier. after you make the climb, you're up on top of Del Mar Mesa. head across the Mesa in a bit of a westerly direction but DO NOT FOLLOW the fireroad. there are some ST side trails that are far better than the fireroad that you should take but you may miss them if you aren't looking. basically, from the new houses they're building to the south, just get on the main fireroad and look for a ST on your right after a couple hundred feet.

the first one is a very fun side loop that is about a mile in length. if you missed it, you'd ride about 500 feet of boring fireroad but the ST is far better. this side loop joins back up to the main fireroad. on the main fireroad, turn right. after a few more hundred feet, there's another side trail ST on your right. take this one too.

after this, just keep aware that the dirt road is on your left so keep taking right hand turns. any of the side trails on your left go back tot he dirt road. you can orient yourself by keeping the power lines in sight since you're ultimately following them.

after a bit you'll come to the golf course and you'll see a fence in your way. take the left a little bit before the fence to ride around the canyon. you'll hook up with another trail just underneath a powerline tower that heads to your west. when this trail ends, you'll be at kind of a dead end looking place. turn to your right and take a ST on your right. this will get you over to the powerlines you see in the distance near some houses.

when you finally make it to the houses, go to the power line tower on your left. the trail is underneath it. follow the trail adn you'll see a way back down into the canyon on the north side trail. at the bottom turn right and head down to vista sorrento parkway and then head back to the car.

i'm sure some of the descriptions are confusing but it mostly will make sense when you're out there. you can't really get lost, especially if you keep the powerlines in sight since you just follow them along the mesa.

there are some other trails out there that this description doesn't include but finding them can be a bit confusing.

we ride out there once a week so if you ever want to hook up to see everything let me know. we can do a longer weekend ride sometime and take the grand tour.

YR

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks alot, when do you guys usually ride there?

mtbr member

Good job!

Brik,

I haven't used the Sorrento trailhead in a long time, but one of the best ways to find sweet trails in PQ is to hook up with riders you meet at the trailheads (the Canyonside Rec Center trailhead crowd is very friendly). YetiRider gave you a great loop, but there's a glitch: after crossing the bridge over the creek on Vista Sorrento Parkway, you turn right down onto the trail. Left would have you turning west into traffic. The drop-in Yeti Rider is sending you to is exactly where the railing for the bridge ends on its north end, and you then ride easterly.

If you want a loop that introduces you to a lot of the stuff you don't ride, take that entrance from Vista Sorrento, ride easterly on the single/double tracks, including Bridges Trail singletrack (it has two concrete sewer bridges on it) and then further east on the fire road...all the way to Canyonside Rec Center's ball fields. Then, turn right/south out of that parking area and take the dirt crossing back to the south-side "main trail" that you already know and head back west. At Carson Crossing, which has a sign, turn right/north and then go north on that fire road (Telephone Pole/Powerline trail) and then follow Yeti Rider's suggestions. You'll get 17-19 miles that way.

oops

Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    but there's a glitch: after crossing the bridge over the creek on Vista Sorrento Parkway, you turn right down onto the trail. Left would have you turning west into traffic.
    I always had problems with that!

Left, right. he'd have figured it out!

YR

we have a regular

Quote Originally Posted by Brik
    Thanks alot, when do you guys usually ride there?
    wednesday night ride (well, pretty regular but we're starting to pick it up again).

some members of the group I ride with will also hit it up on the weekend if they can't get away for a longer ride.

Another group that I've never ridden with has regular Tuesday and Thursday rides in teh evening (not night but after work). Ebasil, do you have Gary Fox's web address for Brik?

we have an e-mail list on Yahoo to keep each other informed of rides. go to www.groups.yahoo.com and sign up for the group SDTrailriders if you'd like. sometimes the list gets overwhelmed with random chatter but there are several rides a week that get posted so it's a good way to hook up with others.

I'll let you know when I plan on hitting the canyon next but it won't be before next week I think.

YR

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Gary Fox's ride site, with rides and trails listed, is at http://members.cox.net/garyfox/index.htm