Thread: Soggy San Diego

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Soggy San Diego

Love it when it rains. Any trails out there that hold up better than others during the rain? I still want to get out and ride tomorrow morning. Was planning on riding down in Chula VIsta/Sweetwater. Memorial Day Weekend!! Sucks that we can't drink at the beaches anymore.

Think Circles!
    im wondering the same thing... i just picked up a new FSR and im itching to ride it. I'm in el cajon so mission trails is the most convenient but im figuring its all washed out right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    im hoping that it doesnt rain too much through the night and it doesnt get too muddy or washed out. We're riding at 7am. If its not good, House of Pancakes will be getting an early visit. Yeah, if i just picked up my new bike, Im riding!

Bike Geek
    FYI - here's a good guide that's been discussed and amended over the last couple of years:
    San Diego Wet Trail Ratings

Have fun, but please let the trails recover from the rain. It's been a short winter/rainy season and any extra bit we get now will help knock down some of the dust and firm up the work SDMBA's been doing to repair our local trails.

Rockfish
    Sweetwater does not drain well. All that will happen is the trail will get torn up and your bike will be a muddy mess. There are a couple of sections where the clay/mud mixture will just cake up on your tire.

Birthday Collector
    All the years that I used to ride down there, the clay build up was the biggest concern. ATT was always our more local area to ride, and there were a couple of areas out near SD Country Estates that were pretty much DG-based (actually think it is the same ridgeline that ATT is on?). Not sure how much if any of that area is still undeveloped, or open/closed off/patrolled by rabid indian tribe members, but it was always fun to ride. Also, getting out to Anza Borrego and riding post-rain was good - packed the sand down and made it pretty damn nice! I miss the desert...
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks for the link rower. very informative. we didnt go to sweetwater. we stayed in the chula vista H st area. most of it is pretty hard packed so it was nice. only the area behind the home depot was a little softer and muddy. i will be more mindful of letting the trails recovery next time. it is fun though to get a little dirty like that, once in a while

Green Mojo

La Costa Trails

I just rode the La Costa trails and the entire trail was totally dry. It was as if someone sprayed it down to kill the dust and then everything dried perfectly. No puddles. Rocks are dry. No slippery areas. PERFECT condition.

bikerneil

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Verns22
    thanks for the link rower. very informative. we didnt go to sweetwater. we stayed in the chula vista H st area. most of it is pretty hard packed so it was nice. only the area behind the home depot was a little softer and muddy. i will be more mindful of letting the trails recovery next time. it is fun though to get a little dirty like that, once in a while
    Rode Sweetwater this morning and the trails are in very good shape.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I was out Saturday and the trails were fine. They had been dry for a while and were nice and tacky yesterday. I saw maybe 2 small puddles in 20 miles yesterday.

Rockfish
    One trail I've found drains very well is Florida Canyon. You need to to know exactly where to ride to make it interesting, and I usually do two complete laps to make it worth while (about a 1.5 hour ride).

Rockfish
    Quote Originally Posted by bajamtnbkr
    Rode Sweetwater this morning and the trails are in very good shape.
    Glad to hear it! I take it you came from the Paseo Los Gatos side.

Sorry for being a little off topic, but last year I rode from the Steele Canyon bridge to Paseo Los Gatos and back. We picked up mud/clay at the big power line tower coming down from Paseo Los Gatos. On the drop down from the lower tiki hut to Coon Canyon, one guy's front tire caked up so much that his front tire stopped rotating. Slow motion endo.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Rode Spring Canyon this morning and Sycamore yesterday. Plenty of marine layer, but no Marines!

Semper Doh!

OH, and the terra firma is just that, like a previous poster claimed "all the trail was hosed down and clean of dust"

Give it a week or so, y'all will be WISHING for this cool weather!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Daley Ranch should be totally fine--recommend Daley Ranch.

I'd stay off La Costa, it's still relatively new, let the rain do it some good there.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Black Mountain area in Penasquitos was velcro on Saturday. Monday everything everywhere should be fine, unless they got more rain in the mountains.

mtbr member

Noble Canyon in great shape!

We rode Noble today. Trail is in great shape, no dust!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the update on Noble. I'm going tomrorow.

TCB
    mtbr member
    This morning I rode the Tunnels and the trails are in good condition.
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 028956blh
    Glad to hear it! I take it you came from the Paseo Los Gatos side.

Sorry for being a little off topic, but last year I rode from the Steele Canyon bridge to Paseo Los Gatos and back. We picked up mud/clay at the big power line tower coming down from Paseo Los Gatos. On the drop down from the lower tiki hut to Coon Canyon, one guy's front tire caked up so much that his front tire stopped rotating. Slow motion endo.
    You are right, that's where I start from, I thing I learned at Sweetwater is that usually is ok to ride after one day rain but more than that and you have to stay away.