Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What do you guys think of the Santa Margarita Lake trails? I was looking through the CCCMB website and it looked sort of interesting (I've never been there). Just wanted to get an educated opinion.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^ More XC than AM. I ride there a lot because I live on that side of the hill. Not much downhill but some good technical climbs and some brutal switchbacks. They are very well maintained trails that gives some beautiful views of the lake over the course of the ride. It's good for a workout and sightseeing but not if you want to get your gravity fix in.

trail rat
    SML has two long range projects in the works. One is a Sapwi trail extension that is approved and is in the final survey stages; it will add more single track and eliminate the ugly climb on the Blinn Ranch Road side. Second is the complete trail around the lake project, that needs some easements or purchased access through the private property around Salsipuedes Bay to connect Grey Pine trail from Vaca Flats to Sandstone Trail. County Parks admins are very supportive and excited about making these a reality.

One of the local equestrian groups has financed a helicopter survey of some of the proposed route with CCCMB, and a local equestrian / realtor is negotiating with the land owners for possible access. The other part is access past the dam, since we have trail partially built off the northwest end of Blinn Ranch Rd and a route surveyed to connect to Rocky Trail.

If you have seen the rock towers on that south side of the lake above Salispuedes Bay, the idea of trail through there makes all trail lovers very excited. Keep your fingers crossed and your local trail advocacy going!
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnutty View Post
    In early April, the wife and I will be spending a week road riding around Solvang. After that, we'll be making our way North with our mountain bikes and would like to do some riding either in the SLO or Santa Barbara area. We're not familiar with the riding offered near either place so am looking for recommendations from anyone who knows these areas. We ride XC and my wife likes to keep her wheels on the ground, so no hucking, jumping or shuttles. Our local riding is in Auburn and we can ride anything there and most stuff in Tahoe.
    If you want to ride a trail without crowds of people asking for directions , do the Santa Cruz , Little Pine ride in SB.I f you want to ride a trail full of people who don't know where they are, ride MDO. Riding MDO on a weekend has become a no go for people who have a job.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I live in Solvang, and would be happy to show you some of the most excellent XC singletrack around here, if you're interested. While the road riding here is very, very good, the amount- and quality- of the mountain biking is vastly under-rated.

Shoot me an email if you're keen...

Regards,

Jeff

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Plus you can visit Solvang! They have the best pastries and candy in SoCal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2