CAK
    Reign Rider

SoCal Tire Suggestions

I'm looking to replace my Spec'd Resolution Pro 2.0 tires. The Spec'd are a huge 2.0, more like a 2.3 volume wise. I'd like to keep the same volume and limit weight to 650g or less.

I'm currently looking at the WTB MutanoRaptor race. Any body running these in Socal. How do they do? Pro's/Cons? I Mostly ride loose rocky, sketchy typical SoCal terrain. I climb everything I descend so it's gotta have bite and roll decent (Viper, 5 deer, Chesboro, Chumash, Hummingbird, dead cow, San Gab's etc.)

Are these tires as big as my Spec'd volume wise? What other tires compare size wise?

Others in the running are the Geax Sturdy 2.3, Schwalbe NN 2.3(although way overpriced)
    Kenda BG or Nevegal look good but not at 750g so I'm ruling those out. Any and all suggestions welcome considering the above criteria. BTW, currently riding a Reign if it matters.
    I'd Kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    if you are a typical 5" travel kind of rider as it sounds like, I think a killer large volume, fast-rolling tire is the Kenda Cortez. I think mine were right at about 680 grams.....very fast rolling and excellent volume.

CAK
    Reign Rider

Kenda...

What size Cortez? 2.2 or the 2.4?

26x2.20 Folding 635±35g (could be 600g or 700g)

26x2.40 Folding 710±35g (could be 745g or 675g)

With the +/- looks like it could be either one.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    the 2.4 is what I used.....I friggin loved it.

Old school BMXer
    I use the 2.4 MutanoRaptor on my singlespeed. It's okay for a lightweight tire, but I won't use it on my suspended XC bike (Intense 5.5). It offers poor traction, flexes too much, and due to the weak sidewalls, the sidewalls tear when ridden anywhere near a rock. They work fine on the singlespeed, since they are light and I don't ride that bike on many technical or rocky trails, or I find myself needing to buy a new tire. There's a lot to be said for the durability of a heavier tire. I'm still searching for my new favorite tire for the 5.5.

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    The Mutano's in the 2.24 are pretty good, but outside your weight spec. The 2.24 (55/53mm) is a heavier tougher tire. The 2.4 (55/55mm) is in your weight spec but I think the transisition knobs are a bit small/flimsy. I am a Clyde, 220lbs, so my view could be different than others. Both the 2.24 and 2.4 have the same max width, 55mm, but the 2.4 has a slightly greater volume at 55mm verses 53mm for the 2.24.

aka: Fitness Mike
    One thing we should be specific about is how you are running that particular tire. I.E. : regular tire w/ stans - UST tire w/stans - Regular tire w/tubes ect.. Some tires that are super in socal varry huge not only w/ performance but also durrability. I've got Nevagal 2.1's (2.2 actual) on my Moto-Lite. Performance/weight wise thease things are better than anything i''ve tried to date. Durability wise though they seem a bit week in the side wall department, but i am running them tubless w/stans on non tubless tires. I would go either bigger (2.35) or the UST version but i am looking to stay sub-700g/per. i saw a guy above recomend the Kenda Cortez, any one else w/ experience with thease?

CAK
    Reign Rider

I'm running

with tubes. I run my Spec'd at 30lbs but I'm not a clyde, I only weigh a buck 50. The Cortez looks interesting. Looks like a pretty low profile knobby though, almost like a Karisma.

Interested to hear others thoughts on the Cortez.

cyclemaven.net

You might be fine with the Mutanos...

...since you're a light rider. I've been running the 2.4s for about a month, and I've been quite happy with them. I run them on my SS at ~20lbs.
    On my FS I'd been running a Motoraptor 2.24 up front, Velociraptor 2.1 rear, which I love. These I run at ~15lbs.
    Donate now!
    I'm a roadie this year for AIDS LifeCycle. Find out more by going here:
    http://girlmeetsbike.org

CAK
    Reign Rider

Hmmm

Now looking at the Small Block 8. Looks like a decent dry weather tire at 560g in a 2.3. Just wonder how much volume it has.

"Why I oughta..."
    Quote Originally Posted by CAK
    Now looking at the Small Block 8. Looks like a decent dry weather tire at 560g in a 2.3. Just wonder how much volume it has.
    Same here, Cortez 2.4 for me in So.Cal (Aliso area) was working pretty well under loose over hardpack or slight "dust" over hardpack. Then they startng slipping and got real loose on turns. Went back to WTB 2.4 or BG 2.35 front, and Nevegal 2.1 DTC rear. Very interested in the SmallBlock 2.? in rear for less weight, improved RR and same grip...
    "Welcome to All Things Scottish, if it's not Scottish, it's craaaapp!! Can I help ye?" - Stuart Rankin

Lord of the Chainrings
    I have Nevegals on both the VP-Free and Nomad.
    Bicycle Warehouse has 2.35's for $40/pair.

Here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenda-Nevegal-Ti...QQcmdZViewItem
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

I think i'm going to go Nevagal 2.1 Sticky (regular) w/stans on the front and Panaracer fire xc pro 2.1 (regular) w/stans on the rear but w/reverse rotational tread for what i'm thinking will be better roll resistance + better braking. The cortez' seems to be very simalar to the karmas on my race wheelset which don't have the durrability and the cornering i'm looking for out of a trail tire. What do you guys think?

mtbr member

Tires for loose dry terrain

You ought to go tubeless if you can. I am pretty happy with the traction and cornering I now get with a 2.35 High roller on the front and a 2.2 Michelin Hot S on the rear. I ride alot of loose terrain and have a 5" trailbike. Not sure about the weights but far superior to the 2.1 Fire XCs and the Mythos I used to run in terms of climbing and cornering at speed. The Michelin has worn well too. The High Roller is still pretty new.

Tanks TB,
    I am trying cont. vert. pro tubless 2.35 (F) and kenda Nevagal dtc tubless 2.1 (R) despite the listed measurments thease tires are pretty much the same size. I have not yet ridden this set up yet but i have good hopes that despite my old set up weighed alot less, the cornering and sidewall toughnes will give me that much more piece of mind when bombing down a technical section. i'll let you know how it works out on the sharp rocks of the Indian Creek Trail at Noble Canyon this weekend.

CAK
    Reign Rider

I found a decent tire, wish it had more volume...

I picked up a set of IRC Mibro's 2.25 ($14 bucks a pop, figured I can’t go wrong if they suck) I was pleasantly surprised. They roll much better than my Spec'd Resolutions but wish they had more volume. Volume wise is about the same as a Kenda Nevegal 2.1. Tread width is good as it is a true 2.25 tire. Still looking at the Small Blocks for the future. Maxxis looks like they make some good tires, they just appear to be boat anchors. Looking at the Minions, HR's, Hansventure all appear to be in the 750-850gram range, bummer.

Silence and Thunder...
    You might wanna check these out...
    Kenda Small Block 8 - first impressions...
    ...every day sends future to past...