Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SoCal single speed friendly rides

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tk1971 
#1 ·
Ok, so kinda new to single speeding, but it's very addictive.

I've gotten to be a much stronger rider in the 8 months due to SS than the last 10 years grinding in granny. But I have a long way to go as my rear cassette is huge.

I realize that gearing my SS for a 1400ft climb over 3 miles isn't ideal, so I gotta ask: What SS friendly trails are out there? This is where I've ridden SS:

1) Santa Anita Chantry up the San Olene cistern
2) Marshall Cyn
3) Bonelli Park
4) Carbon Canyon

I don't dare ride SS for Brown/JPL, Monrovia White Saddle, and Mt. Wilson Toll Road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
What is your gearing?

Honestly....just about every trail in So. Cal. is SS friendly. Just depends on how much you wanna work for it. Personally I geared mine to climb (33 x 22)

I did the same thing when I first started riding SS....I had a few specific trails I would ride. However, once I started venturing out onto other trails, I found that it wasn't any worse....in most cases. Now it is all I ride.

Chino Hills is a great SS ride....as long as you don't descend Telegraph.

Don't be afraid to ride it anywhere. Yeah, you may walk a little bit from time to time...but it will make you stronger, and it will allow you to make your own assessment on your abilities.

Rode mine out on Lower Merrill to Mt Lowe/Inspiration Point, down Middle Merrill, down Sunset/El Prieto...it was a blast.

#5 ·
What is your gearing?

Honestly....just about every trail in So. Cal. is SS friendly. Just depends on how much you wanna work for it. Personally I geared mine to climb (33 x 22)

I did the same thing when I first started riding SS....I had a few specific trails I would ride. However, once I started venturing out onto other trails, I found that it wasn't any worse....in most cases. Now it is all I ride.

Chino Hills is a great SS ride....as long as you don't descend Telegraph.

Don't be afraid to ride it anywhere. Yeah, you may walk a little bit from time to time...but it will make you stronger, and it will allow you to make your own assessment on your abilities.

Rode mine out on Lower Merrill to Mt Lowe/Inspiration Point, down Middle Merrill, down Sunset/El Prieto...it was a blast.
I'm running 32x24 currently and I think I'm ready for a 22t cog. I think I can do Turnbull as well.

But you climbing those tight / steep switchbacks on Lower Merrill with 33x22 is awe inspiring.

#3 ·
Ok, so kinda new to single speeding, but it's very addictive.

I've gotten to be a much stronger rider in the 8 months due to SS than the last 10 years grinding in granny. But I have a long way to go as my rear cassette is huge.

I realize that gearing my SS for a 1400ft climb over 3 miles isn't ideal, so I gotta ask: What SS friendly trails are out there? This is where I've ridden SS:

1) Santa Anita Chantry up the San Olene cistern
2) Marshall Cyn
3) Bonelli Park
4) Carbon Canyon

I don't dare ride SS for Brown/JPL, Monrovia White Saddle, and Mt. Wilson Toll Road.

Almost the entire trail system of the Backbone Trail in the Santa Monica Mountains is SS friendly. Seen 'em spinning there many times. There is plenty of short, punchy climbs, but not much that is sustained steep climbing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.