mtbr member
    Apr 2013

SoCal Riding in April

Hey all, I am trying to plan a biking/camping trip around mid April somehere between San Deigo and Big Sur...I know its kind of a big area. I have a bunch of people from Orange County that will be going so thats why. Im from the Bay Area and dont really know where it would be good to go aound that time down south.

Can someone help steer me in the right direction? Thanks!

mtbr member

SoCal Riding in April

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster616 View Post
    Hey all, I am trying to plan a biking/camping trip around mid April somehere between San Deigo and Big Sur...I know its kind of a big area. I have a bunch of people from Orange County that will be going so thats why. Im from the Bay Area and dont really know where it would be good to go aound that time down south.

Can someone help steer me in the right direction? Thanks!
    Your options are numerous! You named two coastal areas - are you open to riding more inland or trying to stick to the PCH corridor?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Definately open to more inland as long as the weather / riding conditions are decent.

mtbr member

SoCal Riding in April

I'm not so familiar with the SD area, but 3 places that come to mind for me are Big Bear (if the park/cg are open in April), Sycamore/Pt. Mugu near the LA/Ventura County border, and Montana Del Oro near San Luis Obispo. All 3 have ride in/ride out options with even more a short (10-30 minute) drive away.

Big Bear has DH (lift access) and plenty of XC on both sides of the lake, provided snow isn't an issue. Hannah Flats and Grey's Peak is a nice ride on the north side, and there's always the Santa Ana River Trail a short drive down the hill. The CG is adjacent to Snow Summit.

The Sycamore CG (Pt. Mugu State Park) is right across PCH from the beach. Great little campground with a day and a half's worth of riding. Mostly XC, with one or two decent downhillish trails. The area was recently burned out by a massive fire (in May of this year), so it looks like the moon, but the campground was left pretty much untouched.

MDO is beautiful. Central coast scenery, great CG, and probably two full days worth of XC riding right out of your site. Great views everywhere. There's plenty more riding around the SLO area, as well.

There's also Kernville, which has two epic shuttle type AM/XC trails. I'm not sure about the camping situation, but you can easily ride two days on those two trails alone.

North of MDO, someone else will need to chime in. Might want to ask about options near Santa Cruz in the NorCal forum. Some excellent riding up there...
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for your input, I will definately check those places out. I think Big Bear might be out of the question b/c I dont think the lifts open until May.

I'm your density
    There's camping near the San Juan Trail. That would be gorgeous in April and the trail holds up very well to rainfall, which is hit-or-miss that time of year.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

official eMpTyBRain
    Don't the people from OC know where to take you???
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Don't the people from OC know where to take you???
    Most are relatively new to the MTB scene down there so im just trying to get some input from others.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Newport beach has some great riding. Try crystal cove state park. better be in good shape. Some serious hills there.

Also staying south is probably not a bad idea, Weather towards Santa Cruz is much more iffy then OC area.

Like was said before rain is hit/miss although by mid April odds of dry weather are really good.

Enjoy, it is a great area!

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Couple other options:

1. Idyllwild- Cool little mountain town and beautiful in the spring. There's a good campground right on the edge of town. You can pedal to Alvin Meadows from there (get a guide), or drive over to Thomas Mountain. The May Valley system of trails is super fun, but there may still be closures because of the fire. You can contact the Hub Cyclery in town for guides, maps, and more info.

2. Big Laguna in San Diego has good camping and fun riding around the lake/meadows, and you can add in Noble Canyon--one of the best trails in Socal.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Couple other options:

1. Idyllwild- Cool little mountain town and beautiful in the spring. There's a good campground right on the edge of town. You can pedal to Alvin Meadows from there (get a guide), or drive over to Thomas Mountain. The May Valley system of trails is super fun, but there may still be closures because of the fire. You can contact the Hub Cyclery in town for guides, maps, and more info.

2. Big Laguna in San Diego has good camping and fun riding around the lake/meadows, and you can add in Noble Canyon--one of the best trails in Socal.
    Big plus one on Idyllwild...really fun gnarly stuff in the Alvin Meadows area...be sure to ask the Hub Cyclery for directions to the advanced stuff...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I will definately check some of these out. Thanks for the replies everyone!

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    Crystal Cove State Park in OC has excellent camping and a variety of trails for different skill levels. El Moro State Park and the Laguna Wilderness abut the camp areas. You can car camp/tent camp with showers and flush toilets, so it's not too harsh for sissies :-)

I was just at Montana de Oro and it was pretty stellar to ride but be warned there is serious climbing there outside of the flat fireroads. The singletrack is incredible. Also be warned many singletrack trails there have some gnarly exposure with shear drops. This freaked out my wife to the point she walked thru those areas. Camping at MdO is primitive camping with pit toilets.

Oh, forgot...Julian in inland north sand diego county is awesome too. Several camping options, good variety of riding.
    Last edited by fongster; 10-19-2013 at 09:37 AM.