Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 400 of 2810
  1. #301
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,870
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    It's definitely PV. It's always hard to orient yourself on the peninsula. It runs East to West which always trips people out. Catalina runs SE to NW so you get a very unique perspective from PV and the Pt Vicente area.
    Yeah, it's PV or somewhere in that area. I was wrong.

  2. #302
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    As a fellow OC poster, my services as a guide who knows the trails up there like the proverbial back of my hand are available to all other OC'ers, FREE OF CHARGE! I might even allow you to buy me a post-ride brew at the Pine House Tavern and Grill, which is the finest eatery in E. San Diego county, bar none.

    They usually have 4 area microbrews on tap, unless it's bow-hunting season. Bow hunters tend to drain their kegs fairly regularly. They drink more beer than mountain bikers!
    <-- Raises hand with interest

  3. #303
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    <-- Raises hand with interest
    Wow, looks like we gonna have us a convoy!

  4. #304
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,502
    Better do it soon, rain is a comin.

  5. #305
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,870
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    Better do it soon, rain is a comin.
    Technically, we have plenty of time. As in, the rest of our lives.

  6. #306
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Technically, we have plenty of time. As in, the rest of our lives.
    That's a very relative statement, right there. But so long as we get it in before the first significant snowfall, it should be good.
    And in those 20 miles up at altitude, yer likely to get in close to 1200-1500 ft. climbing, or at least for this sea level breather, it sure feels like it...

  7. #307
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    Better do it soon, rain is a comin.
    It's raining here in Punta Loma right now!

  8. #308
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckanado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by socalmx View Post
    guess where?
    Let's see how close I am:


    Never been there (in person), this is just from using Google Earth.

  9. #309
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    It's raining here in Punta Loma right now!
    Huh, do you live there? Maybe you can I.D. this trail...


  10. #310
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    We can put in 20+ miles just up top, all between 5500-6,000 ft. There's also a short Noble spur option that involves a very steep fire road climb back to Sunrise Hwy, that you would like. Al kinds of options. Plus, I got the Year-long Forest Adventure pass with a extra car placard. So, IF we decided to do the Noble, we could make it a one-way 20+ mile shuttle. And I would walk through the 'gnar' right along with you, I have surpassed my lifetime quota of 'retained hardware' on account of mountain biking!


    That sounds (and looks) amazing.

  11. #311
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    Huh, do you live there? Maybe you can I.D. this trail...

    Is that a neighborhood canyon trail along Chatsworth? We have lots of 'pocket canyons due to the topography of the peninsula, but no formal trails of any length thst I know about. I'd like to know if there's something I'm missing.
    I've only been a 'local' on the peninsula for 23 years!

  12. #312
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckanado View Post
    Let's see how close I am:


    Never been there (in person), this is just from using Google Earth.
    That is awesome, how did you get that exact info from the pics? Yes, PV is a pretty nice place to ride, tucked away not freeway close so many have not been there.

  13. #313
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Guess where?
    I had no idea that there were trails in that area.Very scenic, like along the ridge road of Point Loma, but are the majority of the trails in that area DG? I hope not.

  14. #314
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Is that a neighborhood canyon trail along Chatsworth? We have lots of 'pocket canyons due to the topography of the peninsula, but no formal trails of any length thst I know about. I'd like to know if there's something I'm missing.
    I've only been a 'local' on the peninsula for 23 years!
    A stretch of Cañon St (which is just feet to the left of the pepper tree). 0.6 miles of sandstone goodness. There would be a view of the bay if those small trees downtrail weren't there.

    I live about a half mile from there, since 1995. Small world.

  15. #315
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    I had no idea that there were trails in that area.Very scenic, like along the ridge road of Point Loma, but are the majority of the trails in that area DG? I hope not.


    Never mind, looks like you were talking about the road Point Loma and not the area in SD. Move along, nothing to see here...

  16. #316
    Sergeant Spandex
    Reputation: lewisfoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    665
    no pic today but trail conditions in marshall are p-h-e-n-o-m-e-n-a-l

  17. #317
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckanado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    That is awesome, how did you get that exact info from the pics? Yes, PV is a pretty nice place to ride, tucked away not freeway close so many have not been there.
    Because I spend way, way, way to much time playing with Google Earth when I really should be out riding my bike.

    But I immediately recognized Catalina, and from the angle I guessed at the PV area. I noticed the two "bumps" on the coastline, so it only took a minute or two to scan the coastline in GE until I found them (they're the two points of land that form Sacred Cove). Then I just lined them up with the island and looked for likely trails at the right elevation and orientation. When I spotted the fence* on the trail going around Del Cerro park, I knew I was there.

    (Actually, you can only see the shadow of the fence in GE)

    Here's what your pics look like viewed in GE:

    Socal Pics Thread-pic1.jpg

    Socal Pics Thread-pic2.jpg

  18. #318
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisfoto View Post
    no pic today but trail conditions in marshall are p-h-e-n-o-m-e-n-a-l
    You are so right. I was up there on Sunday. Great riding

  19. #319
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    A stretch of Cañon St (which is just feet to the left of the pepper tree). 0.6 miles of sandstone goodness. There would be a view of the bay if those small trees downtrail weren't there.

    I live about a half mile from there, since 1995. Small world.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. That's the neighborhood that is still a holdout for coyotes displaced by the '03 and '07 fires. There's a park up there, the land is owned by some church. And then there's that trail, sorta going downhill Or uphill. It's been years since I rode a fat-tired bike out that way, or on the dirt along Sunset Cliffs Blvd.

  20. #320
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    30

    Socal Pics Thread

    I ride that trail up and down canon st with my son almost weekly. He loves it. It could be so much more with a little work.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #321
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider1 View Post
    I ride that trail up and down canon st with my son almost weekly. He loves it. It could be so much more with a little work.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Careful. You don't want CDFW to find out about that. That is the last of Point Loma's 'pristine habitat', right there......

  22. #322
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    29,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Wow, looks like we gonna have us a convoy!
    Yep and I feel like the Millionaire Matchmaker of the mtb trail guide association.

    Really Hawg I hope all of you do this soon before the snow hit's. You won't be sorry this whole area is some amazing ST through some very scenic mountains. If I was still there I'd join the party.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

  23. #323
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,870
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yep and I feel like the Millionaire Matchmaker of the mtb trail guide association.

    Really Hawg I hope all of you do this soon before the snow hit's. You won't be sorry this whole area is some amazing ST through some very scenic mountains. If I was still there I'd join the party.
    I will refer to you as my Southern So Cal ride agent (SSCra). Sounds kinda majestic, huh?

  24. #324
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Michael15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Yep, and you want to do it before we get any serious snow up there, it can stick around for an amazingly long time considering we are in sunny San Dieggo. As a fellow OC poster, my services as a guide who knows the trails up there like the proverbial back of my hand are available to all other OC'ers, FREE OF CHARGE! I might even allow you to buy me a post-ride brew at the Pine House Tavern and Grill, which is the finest eatery in E. San Diego county, bar none.

    They usually have 4 area microbrews on tap, unless it's bow-hunting season. Bow hunters tend to drain their kegs fairly regularly. They drink more beer than mountain bikers!
    Count me in! I'll even be the DD from North County area....at least for the first trip...no way do I want to miss out on the microbrews going forward!!

  25. #325
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Really Hawg I hope all of you do this soon before the snow hit's. You won't be sorry this whole area is some amazing ST through some very scenic mountains. If I was still there I'd join the party.
    I heard on the radio they got 4" of snow in the Lagunas overnight, more on the way this weekend.

  26. #326
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,870
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    I heard on the radio they got 4" of snow in the Lagunas overnight, more on the way this weekend.
    Oh, I had no intention of doing any Southern rides before year's end. Right about Nov 1 every year, I am SLAMMED with responsibilities. It's gonna be a 2014 thing for me.

  27. #327
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Oh, I had no intention of doing any Southern rides before year's end. Right about Nov 1 every year, I am SLAMMED with responsibilities. It's gonna be a 2014 thing for me.
    Same here, weekends filled through New Years. As for 2014, I am game to make some plans after the holidays. If Laguna is snowed over then we can hit SJT first then plan a Laguna ride after it all melts.

  28. #328
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Oh, I had no intention of doing any Southern rides before year's end. Right about Nov 1 every year, I am SLAMMED with responsibilities. It's gonna be a 2014 thing for me.
    That's a good thing, since it did snow last night. More on Saturday.

    10News - Snow day for Mountain Empire students; District cancels classes due to winter weather - 10News.com - News

  29. #329
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. That's the neighborhood that is still a holdout for coyotes displaced by the '03 and '07 fires. There's a park up there, the land is owned by some church. And then there's that trail, sorta going downhill Or uphill. It's been years since I rode a fat-tired bike out that way, or on the dirt along Sunset Cliffs Blvd.
    A couple years ago I saw a coyote crossing Canon St. right about where I took that picture (which is also near where there may be a den dug into the hillside). I had heard about them from other Pt. Lomans but that was my first sighting. And I've never heard them howling.

    In our neighborhood we get a steady stream of foxes, skunks, possums, raccoons, and feral cats through our backyard. We had an owl swoop down and snatch a skunk off our back deck!

  30. #330
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,927
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    We had an owl swoop down and snatch a skunk off our back deck!
    Did you go find that owls nest and thank him profusely?

    I always figured Skunks had no threat of predators.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

  31. #331
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    A couple years ago I saw a coyote crossing Canon St. right about where I took that picture (which is also near where there may be a den dug into the hillside). I had heard about them from other Pt. Lomans but that was my first sighting. And I've never heard them howling.

    In our neighborhood we get a steady stream of foxes, skunks, possums, raccoons, and feral cats through our backyard. We had an owl swoop down and snatch a skunk off our back deck!
    The presence of those other animals is a GOOD sign: it means that the coyotes have migrated away from your area, at least for the time being. San Diego County only has 2 full-time "Trappers", people designated as having the skills to take/euthanize re-locate wild animals. I know one of them, and he was kind of unhappy with the Pt. Loma coyote situation, as he spends most of his days and nights in Descanso and other East County places, removing mountain lions that have turned to preying on domestic animals and livestock. Like myself, he's loathe to shoot a mountain lion, but that is almost always the only way to stop a predator species that has gotten the in the habit of preying on people's animals. Relocation flat-out does not work; the animal will literally die trying to return to what it remembers as its' 'territory,' and it is far more humane to euthanize it with a well-placed head shot than to put it though that kind of suffering.

    However, if you DO start to notice the absence of the smaller critters, not to mention the disappearance of family pets from their yards, contact the County Trapper. He might refer you to me, if he's too busy (he always is too busy). Or PM me here...it's more direct.

  32. #332
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Did you go find that owls nest and thank him profusely?

    I always figured Skunks had no threat of predators.
    I actually silently cursed him/her because the skunk sprayed and smeared feces all over the deck in the struggle.

    We weren't sure what bagged the skunk that night until we learned (during a nocturnal predator lecture at the zoo) that owls have no sense of smell and have no problem taking down a skunk.

  33. #333
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,927
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    I actually silently cursed him/her because the skunk sprayed and smeared feces all over the deck in the struggle.

    We weren't sure what bagged the skunk that night until we learned (during a nocturnal predator lecture at the zoo) that owls have no sense of smell and have no problem taking down a skunk.
    oh, gross.

    That is very interesting about no sense of smell.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

  34. #334
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    29,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I will refer to you as my Southern So Cal ride agent (SSCra). Sounds kinda majestic, huh?
    I'll except that as a title, it's been awhile since I've been referred to as majestic.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

  35. #335
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Did you go find that owls nest and thank him profusely?

    I always figured Skunks had no threat of predators.
    Actually, the reason you rarely see skunks in areas like MTRP is that coyotes also have figured out a way to take them, and take them they do.

  36. #336
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    641
    First photo on page 14, wahoo!

    Socal Pics Thread-kct.jpg

    Socal Pics Thread-20131205_115732.jpg

  37. #337
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,927
    Quote Originally Posted by westeast View Post

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131205_115732.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	348.9 KB 
ID:	852615
    Where is that? Looks awesome!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

  38. #338
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    641
    Just Outstanding Trail - Mountain Biking in the Kern River Sierra

    The map these guys made is really good too.

  39. #339
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toycrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    72
    When did you go?

  40. #340
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by toycrawler View Post
    When did you go?
    Once last week and just a couple of days ago.

  41. #341
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    714

    Socal Pics Thread

    Otay Lakes


  42. #342
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,416
    Had a nice solo ride up part of Holy Jim today. I was able to last for ~3.5 miles up the trail before it started raining harder plus my fingers were numb.

    Socal Pics Thread-img_0611.jpg

    Socal Pics Thread-img_0618.jpg

    Socal Pics Thread-img_0621.jpg

    Socal Pics Thread-img_0632.jpg

  43. #343
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,870
    ^ Gordon, over at HK you posted 3.5 miles/1800' climbing? I like the sound of that grind!!!

  44. #344
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    ^ Gordon, over at HK you posted 3.5 miles/1800' climbing? I like the sound of that grind!!!
    We'll call it ~1750 to be more accurate

    Name:  Screen shot 2013-12-07 at 5.12.13 PM.png
Views: 358
Size:  7.3 KB

  45. #345
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    714

    Socal Pics Thread

    That sounds like a fun one.

  46. #346
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Holy Jim is one I've never done, either, but those pics look incredible! I particularly like the 2nd from the top, that tunnel of foliage. Cool!

  47. #347
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    Otay Lakes

    Thanks for the reminder, Island20v. It's been a few years since I last climbed to the top of that hill behind Lower Otay dam.

    When I was a kid, you could walk over the dam, something I did with my Dad many times, sometimes to fish, sometimes just to hike. I remember also that just about immediately below you, and about the same elevation as the dam top, there is an abandoned mineshaft that tunnels pretty far into the hillside. It had support timbers and everything. You can't get anywhere near it now, just like you can't approach the dam, anymore, either.
    Homeland Security!

  48. #348
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    I particularly like the 2nd from the top, that tunnel of foliage. Cool!
    Before the Station Fire wiped out much of the riding in the San Gabriel Mountains, there was a foliage tunnel section of trail at the bottom of the Hoyt Mountain ST. Trippy riding through stuff like that.

  49. #349
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Before the Station Fire wiped out much of the riding in the San Gabriel Mountains, there was a foliage tunnel section of trail at the bottom of the Hoyt Mountain ST. Trippy riding through stuff like that.
    Well, as you know for us San Diego coastal trail riders, just the word "tunnels" really hits a nerve for us.

    There's a couple of trails in our San Clemente canyon, a minor trail system that runs along State Route 52 form the I 5 east dfor about 3 miles. They also are a tunnel of foliage, but mostly in the spring.
    The problem is, those 'tunnels' are comprised of poison oak!

    Makes it easy to understand the locals' reference to San Clemente canyon as "San Cortisone" canyon!

  50. #350
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Well, as you know for us San Diego coastal trail riders, just the word "tunnels" really hits a nerve for us.

    There's a couple of trails in our San Clemente canyon, a minor trail system that runs along State Route 52 form the I 5 east dfor about 3 miles. They also are a tunnel of foliage, but mostly in the spring.
    The problem is, those 'tunnels' are comprised of poison oak!

    Makes it easy to understand the locals' reference to San Clemente canyon as "San Cortisone" canyon!
    Whoa!

  51. #351
    Sergeant Spandex
    Reputation: lewisfoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    The problem is, those 'tunnels' are comprised of poison oak! Makes it easy to understand the locals' reference to San Clemente canyon as "San Cortisone" canyon!

    Thanks for the warning

  52. #352
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    29,269
    [QUOTE=Gordon Shumway;10860661]Had a nice solo ride up part of Holy Jim today. I was able to last for ~3.5 miles up the trail before it started raining harder plus my fingers were numb.


    Not bad,not bad it sure beats the temps. I'm experiencing these day's.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

  53. #353
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cobra8d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    351

    Mountains between Otay Lakes and Protor Valley, Chula Vista CA

    12-6-13 Cool weather, clear day, and a day off from work it was perfect for biking and.... hiking up the mountains around Otay lake.
    The climb takes time and there is a lot of areas that are to steep to bike, but the reward are great views of San Diego county all around and an awesome downhill ride.
    The CA Flag is no longer there, I took that picture earlier in the year.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Socal Pics Thread-0.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-1.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-3.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-4.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-5.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-6.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-7.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-8.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-9.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-10.jpg  


  54. #354
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    29,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra8d View Post
    12-6-13 Cool weather, clear day, and a day off from work it was perfect for biking and.... hiking up the mountains around Otay lake.
    The climb takes time and there is a lot of areas that are to steep to bike, but the reward are great views of San Diego county all around and an awesome downhill ride.
    The CA Flag is no longer there, I took that picture earlier in the year.
    Nice shots and thank's for the memories. I used to ride that area on my motorcycle in the early nineties.

    Glamis sand dunes 1991'..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

  55. #355
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,968
    Hero Dirt today


  56. #356
    JunkBoy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    43
    We were the only ones there when we started our ride at 630 but by the time we got back there were several trucks/cars parked in front of us. Looks like the trail got crowded! Hero dirt it was Salespunk!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Socal Pics Thread-image.jpg  


  57. #357
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    87
    Yesterdays ride:




  58. #358
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Thanks for the reminder, Island20v. It's been a few years since I last climbed to the top of that hill behind Lower Otay dam.

    When I was a kid, you could walk over the dam, something I did with my Dad many times, sometimes to fish, sometimes just to hike. I remember also that just about immediately below you, and about the same elevation as the dam top, there is an abandoned mineshaft that tunnels pretty far into the hillside. It had support timbers and everything. You can't get anywhere near it now, just like you can't approach the dam, anymore, either.
    Homeland Security!
    The hill is pretty torn up now. They are doing construction part wat up it. It's a nice cardio workout though. I really wish they allowed you to walk across the bridge. I'd let them search my bags if I had to. It would make for a nice lake loop.

  59. #359
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra8d View Post
    12-6-13 Cool weather, clear day, and a day off from work it was perfect for biking and.... hiking up the mountains around Otay lake.
    The climb takes time and there is a lot of areas that are to steep to bike, but the reward are great views of San Diego county all around and an awesome downhill ride.
    The CA Flag is no longer there, I took that picture earlier in the year.

    Which peaks are those? Been wanting to explore the climbs around the lake since it's just down the raod but haven't found anything on strava yet.

  60. #360
    Dirty by Nature
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,303
    Those are great tunnels on Holy Jim and, fortunately, they're not made of p.o.

    They're made of figs! But I was always disappointed that the figs stayed small and inedible. Still, pretty cool!
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

    Nature is not a sidewalk (I'm looking at you, MidPen).

  61. #361
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Those are great tunnels on Holy Jim and, fortunately, they're not made of p.o.

    They're made of figs! But I was always disappointed that the figs stayed small and inedible. Still, pretty cool!
    Assuming that my physical condition continues to improve, Holy Jim is on my list of SoCal trails yet to be ridden.

  62. #362
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Well, as you know for us San Diego coastal trail riders, just the word "tunnels" really hits a nerve for us.

    There's a couple of trails in our San Clemente canyon, a minor trail system that runs along State Route 52 form the I 5 east dfor about 3 miles. They also are a tunnel of foliage, but mostly in the spring.
    The problem is, those 'tunnels' are comprised of poison oak!

    Makes it easy to understand the locals' reference to San Clemente canyon as "San Cortisone" canyon!
    It is not that bad.....
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

  63. #363
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Big Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    141

  64. #364
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    4,968
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkBoy View Post
    We were the only ones there when we started our ride at 630 but by the time we got back there were several trucks/cars parked in front of us. Looks like the trail got crowded! Hero dirt it was Salespunk!
    Scary House must have been awesome yesterday

  65. #365
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cobra8d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    Which peaks are those? Been wanting to explore the climbs around the lake since it's just down the raod but haven't found anything on strava yet.

    This is from my ride in November last year, fell on my ass on that -30 degree downhill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Socal Pics Thread-ride-details.jpg  


  66. #366
    mtbr member
    Reputation: h82crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    177
    Lake Hodges yesterday.



    Crazy windy and cold, but nothing like the east.
    Goat Rider

  67. #367
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    29,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Clyde View Post


    Quote Originally Posted by h82crash View Post
    Lake Hodges yesterday.




    Crazy windy and cold, but nothing like the east.

    Thanks for posting these I lived just a mile from those trails for 9 years. My old local ride, in fact I recognize those boulders.
    I now live in Colorado so this thread is my memory book of So. Cal.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

  68. #368
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cobra8d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    351

    Mountains between Otay Lakes and Protor Valley, Chula Vista CA

    More from Otay Proctor Valley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Socal Pics Thread-dscn6949.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-dscn0230.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-dscn6952.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-p5pb10126914.jpg  


  69. #369
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra8d View Post
    This is from my ride in November last year, fell on my ass on that -30 degree downhill
    Good looking loop. I will have to check it out.

  70. #370
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2w4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,148
    Socal Pics Thread-slomg.jpg
    Last edited by 2w4s; 12-12-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    nothing witty here...

  71. #371
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,870
    Trail head at El Prieto ST.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Socal Pics Thread-12-12-13.jpg  


  72. #372
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,495

    Socal Pics Thread

    SART


  73. #373
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    641
    Awesome picture! I really need to ride that trail some day soon.

  74. #374
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,187
    I'm not sure if SART would be terrible or awesome in the fall. There are a number of spots where the trail is so thin and exposed as it is, those leaves likely aren't helping!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  75. #375
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,870
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I'm not sure if SART would be terrible or awesome in the fall. There are a number of spots where the trail is so thin and exposed as it is, those leaves likely aren't helping!

    That shot looks like it's from the first half, before Glass Rd. The second half of the trail after that is where the trail really become dangerous.

  76. #376
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I'm not sure if SART would be terrible or awesome in the fall. There are a number of spots where the trail is so thin and exposed as it is, those leaves likely aren't helping!
    It reminds me of east coast riding in the fall, which is a ton of fun, but the leaves can hide some nasty surprises.

  77. #377
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,495

    Socal Pics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    That shot looks like it's from the first half, before Glass Rd. The second half of the trail after that is where the trail really become dangerous.
    Yeah - this is west of Glass Rd. One of the very few sections with tons of leaves on the trail. This was an awesome ride that got cold super quick.

  78. #378
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cobra8d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    351

    Otay Mountain

    climbing Otay mountain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Socal Pics Thread-dscn6120.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-dscn6121.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-dscn6124.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-dscn6128.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-dscn6135.jpg  

    Socal Pics Thread-dscn6136.jpg  


  79. #379
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gouda Cheez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    714

    Socal Pics Thread

    Copper Creek @ La Costa


  80. #380
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,187
    Two from today. I miss SoCal . . . these views will never get old (I normally hate panorama's but you can't capture this otherwise):

    Socal Pics Thread-2013-12-14.jpg

    Socal Pics Thread-2013-12-14.jpg
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  81. #381
    occ member
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,426
    ^^ I've seen that view thousands of times on my way to the beach,still hasn't gotten old,even when viewed on my computer monitor.

  82. #382
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    197
    Name:  546979_10152065403991774_973198877_n.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  55.9 KB

    Top of Sullivan ridge looking north at Encino Reservoir.

  83. #383
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,870
    ^ That's one of my usual "take-a-break-and-soak-up-the-view" spots whenever I'm on Dirt Mulholland.

  84. #384
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 11053's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,207
    Socal Pics Thread-bm.jpg

    Socal Pics Thread-bm2.jpg

  85. #385
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    174
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/57346731@N08/11394281933/" title="Untitled by saviers_road, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3774/11394281933_f071b76068.jpg" width="500" height="281" alt="Untitled"></a>

  86. #386
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,187
    Norman C, I know you're up somewhere in the Eastern Sierra's towards Bishop/Mammoth area and you post some pretty spectacular pics. PerfectZero and I were just talking that we'll have to hit you up in the spring for some touring. Would love to ride the area.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  87. #387
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2w4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BM.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	247.7 KB 
ID:	855036

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bm2.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	855037
    fukin rad.
    nothing witty here...

  88. #388
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2w4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by toingtoing View Post
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/57346731@N08/11394281933/" title="Untitled by saviers_road, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3774/11394281933_f071b76068.jpg" width="500" height="281" alt="Untitled"></a>
    jdrop.
    nothing witty here...

  89. #389
    Certifiably Crazy
    Reputation: Carloswithac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    442
    Here are some pictures from this week's ride.


    The drive there


    Tree blocking the trail.




    Only snow left.




    Friend ate it and busted his ankle.




    Made it down in one piece.
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

  90. #390
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    ^^^Nice pics, Carlos. I almost went up there that day, but did not. I met Fred once, Tell him I wish speedy healing in that ankle. Distal tibia fractures can be notoriously slow to heal, due to a poor vascular supply to the bone in that place. Same goes for distal radius fractures, on the wrist.

  91. #391
    Certifiably Crazy
    Reputation: Carloswithac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    442
    Who is Fred?
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

  92. #392
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    jdrop.
    I didn't know that's what it's called. It's my 2nd time in long time descending there. Pure of awesomeness!

  93. #393
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloswithac View Post
    Who is Fred?
    Oops. Sorry. I thought 'friend read 'Fred'. Never mind that.....hope your friends' ankle heals up soon. The same thing holds for him too. It's acommon issue with all humans.

  94. #394
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dseybert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    144

    Re: Socal Pics Thread

    Rode up in the Lagunas on Sunday.




  95. #395
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    Gentlemen, we live in a beautiful place!

  96. #396
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    Quote Originally Posted by dseybert View Post
    Rode up in the Lagunas on Sunday.
    Glad you grabbed that ride when you could. Here's a picture from tomorrow:

    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 438
Size:  10.6 KB

  97. #397
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra8d View Post
    climbing Otay mountain
    Nice. Was hoping to ride it Saturday but

    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BM.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	247.7 KB 
ID:	855036
    Beautiful! Where is this?

  98. #398
    Sergeant Spandex
    Reputation: lewisfoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    Beautiful! Where is this?
    Agreed, these pics need captions folks!

  99. #399
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    29,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloswithac View Post
    Here are some pictures from this week's ride.


    The drive there


    Tree blocking the trail.




    Only snow left.




    Friend ate it and busted his ankle.




    Made it down in one piece.
    Was that Noble Canyon & BLT combined.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

  100. #400
    Certifiably Crazy
    Reputation: Carloswithac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    442
    Yes, we only got to the middle of Noble. Took the service road down to the trailhead because he couldn't really pedal.
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trance X Pics Thread...
    By Warp in forum Giant
    Replies: 2259
    Last Post: 05-24-2017, 10:18 PM
  2. The Action Pics Thread ...Post 'Em Up!
    By JohnnySmoke in forum Knolly
    Replies: 525
    Last Post: 05-01-2017, 07:04 AM
  3. Socal 2012 Trail Conditions Thread
    By Impy in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-25-2012, 01:27 PM
  4. in liu of SMT's socal ettiquette thread
    By William42 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 07:07 PM
  5. SoCal Pay It Forward Thread
    By fatcat in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 05:19 PM

Members who have read this thread: 140

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •