mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Idea! Socal to Norcal Trip Need help

Summer is almost here and its time for a road trip me and two of my buddy's are planing on traveling from Upland to as high as we can go in Cali hitting all the greatest XC, and AM places we can, im in need of a road trip plan as where to stop and ride etc. throw me your trip experiences and what to look out for etc. as this is our first trip. and probably about a week long

Ill be brining a
    KHS-XC604
    Schwinn Mesa
    Schwinn Hardrock

My friends will have a
    KHS-XC004
    cannondale (some xc model)

Thanks a Ton,
    Shane C.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    stop off in the san luis obispo area and hit up montana del oro state park. Great ride

I <3 Dirt
    Are you going up the coast or up along the Sierras or both?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Stop in San Luis Obispo, hit up the local trails(Irish Hills) Shooters, morning glory, cerro san luis(madonna mountain), then watch the local coed scenery in town!

Be sure to stop at LBSs along the way for some local knowledge, tubes and advice(even call them ahead of time for advice). If the first LBS you call are douche bags, call the next one. One shop in town is bound to be enthusiastic about riding. Attempt to gather trail maps/directions prior to heading out. Figure out where you are sleeping prior to getting exhausted on the bike. Bring a first aid kit, and an ice pack for the car. Recovery is important.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So you've got a week. I'm going to guess you want to maximize riding time and minimize long on the road days. That said, you'll want to set some limits on how far north or east you roam, or you'll chew up too many days driving.

San Luis Obispo is a good target for a day or two, and there are good bike shops and camping options. From there it is about 3 hours up to Monterey. You could easily spend a week just hitting spots between Monterey and San Francisco. Fort Ord, Henry Coe, Nisene Marks, Soquel Demonstration Forest, Wilder Ranch, Long Ridge, El Corte Madera (aka Skeggs). There's camping at Fort Ord, New Brighton State Beach, Henry Cowell State Park, Big Basin State Park, and more. One thing about state parks -- they book up fast, so check it out soon. There are also county parks that allow camping, and hostels that are a pretty cool option.

The above doesn't even contemplate going north of San Francisco or going to the Sierras or Sierra foothills. Those are also worthwhile options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Soquel Demo Forest and Wilder Ranch are both worthwhile stops if you want to spend a couple days in Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    mealsonwheels where not sure yet coastal will probably be the route we take but whatever has the most ridding on the way up will probably be our choice, im lovin these ideas, please keep them coming

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by krawlerfreak
    mealsonwheels where not sure yet coastal will probably be the route we take but whatever has the most ridding on the way up will probably be our choice, im lovin these ideas, please keep them coming
    Coastal is good, because you can split up an all day drive from socal to the bay area by a stop-over near SLO and do a day or two riding. It's short enough drive you could even drive to SLO in the evening and ride the next day. And it is green and beautiful on the coast right now

But I just looked at your profile and see you are in Upland. If you are going in June or later, you could hit Mammoth in the same drive time as SLO, do the bike park and free trails, and be 3 hours or less from Tahoe. Do another 2-3 days at Tahoe, hit Downieville, then jam down to i-80 to I-5 to 210 and hammer home in a day.

just along for the ride
    Its dried out fluff now on the coast, like looooose and sandy, best go up the sierra's. Have fun!

mtbr member
    The coastal trails can be ridden year round but they shine (IMO) in spring & fall.
    Summer = mountains, pine trees, clean air, yah! Head up 395.
    Never give up, never surrender.

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by krawlerfreak
    I lived in the Santa Cruz Mtns for a few years and while the coastal areas are gorgeous I would say the only destinations were mentioned (Demo and Wilder). I don't know much about SLO, so that could be excellent riding I'm just not familiar with it.

I've seen some amazing pics of riding in Humboldt, but that is much farther than Santa Cruz and would really add on drive time.

I would make the Sierras my destination. Downieville and surrounding trails, Tahoe with Toads and nearby trails which are technical, beautiful and extremely fun, 007 near Bass Lake, Lower Rock Creek near Mammoth/Bishop, the list goes on. I feel like I've explored a small portion of the trails and I'm just blown away by the quality and scenery. Have a great time!!

just along for the ride
    Actually the coastal trails rock in the rainy season when sand pits become railed turns. But spring is nice, fall gets very warm/hot on offshores. Late spring to summer is Sierra time, into early fall then back to the coast

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I had a whole post up last night when my browser crashed and "poof = gone". It might be getting sandy down in SLO, but up Santa Cruz way, conditions are really nice and should be that way well into July. Meanwhile Mammoth still has 6 feet of snow on the ground; Tahoe somewhat less. The Sierra foohills are nice, though. So it also depends on when the poster wants to take this trip.

mtbr member
    On the way to SLO I'd hit Santa Cruz trail (just after santa barbara by los osos campground). It will be a bit warm (we rode it in early July but totally doable, just bring 120oz of water if you drink a lot) but the climb is on an easy fire road.

(with my oldschool GT, Santa barbara mountains in the background)

fun technical section at the bottom

ICPAYDIRT
    krawlerfreak, I think you have to commit yourself to staying coastal or heading up towards the Sierras. The coastal route is loaded with options as you've already heard and to pass to many of them up would be a shame but honestly, a week doesn't give you nearly enough time. Are you camping and when are you heading up? If you go up now you really should stay coastal due to weather considerations. If I had a week and wanted to pick off some NorCal riding I would start with a pilgrimage to the birthplace of mountain biking Marin County, make my way down to San Mateo, and finally spend a few days in Santa Cruz to ride Nisene, Wilder, and the Demo Forest. That would allow you to take in a nice sample of bay area/Santa Cruz options. If you can wait until the snow melts in the Sierras and are an intermediate or better rider I would say take a trip up to Downieville and be done with it That would be a trip you and your buddies will always remember.