Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    stay thirsty, my friends

sticky with reviews for LBS's?

I think it'd be a good idea to have a sticky for socal LBS's where people review LBS's they've been to with address, phone numbers, bikes they carry, etc. I think it'd be a lot of help for people who can't find good LBS with the bikes they want.

Yes, no? I'll do a little review for Jax in Long Beach when I come home after work later.
    Last edited by LBmtb; 11-14-2006 at 08:45 PM.
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

_
    Mar 2004
    I worked at Jones on 2nd street for a minute, the mechanics are cool and some of the employee's are, there is only one legit mt. biker there, he knows his stuff. Other than that, the shop is alright, nothing great, just a lil' LBS. Prices aren't that great, but, the service used to be really, really great, they let one of their better employee's go a couple months back. The only decent mt. bike they carry is Giant, from the entry level bikes all the way up to the AC1, which i think is still in the shop from 5 months ago, LOL.

JAX isn't bad, the mechanic Tommy over there is way cool, he hooked me up with a killer deal on labor for my Hayes Master Cylinder part, (i had to wait nearly month for it, so he cut me a deal). I brought him a 22oz. of NewCastle for being so cool when I picked up my bike.

Thats about all i know of the LBS in east long beach.

stay thirsty, my friends
    Jax in Long Beach has been the only one I've been to so I can't really compare too much. They've always pretty friendly, saying 'hi' when you come in and asking if you need anything. Carry lots of Treks. Good selection of clothes/socks/shoes too. Prices are ok although you might find better deals elsewhere.

banned
    Apr 2004

Good Idea, how about everyones favorite Superblo

Quote Originally Posted by LBguy
    I think it'd be a good idea to have a sticky for socal LBS's where people review LBS's they've been to with address, phone numbers, bikes they carry, etc. I think it'd be a lot of help for people who can't find good LBS with the bikes they want.

Yes, no? I'll do a little review for Jax in Long Beach when I come home after work later.
    I know blasphemy but how can you beat their prices and service. The Fountain Valley store used to have some good mechanics but I don't know any more, I haven't given up my ride to any bike shops in a lot of years but if you are getting a good deal at your LBS it's partly due to the big bad consolidator putting the pressure on for instance Rock & Road which is a great O.C. bike store will actually pull out a Super Go catalog and match prices.

SSped
    Jan 2004

El Hole

The best shop I have been to and always use is The Path in Tustin. Props to Tani, Carl and crew. They have always taken great care of me and everyone I know. It is not a big store but if you need it they got it or can get it. I am getting my second bike from them now.

Thanks Guys

SSped

mtbr member
    I like the crew at Helen Cycles in Westwood/West LA.
    Good mechanics there. Sales manager there is friendly and knows his stuff.

Santa Monica Helen Cycles location can get pretty crowded and hectic, but they are the larger location and have more inventory. They have a fancy boutique bike section upstairs for the high rollers and big spenders.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

mtbr member
    Big thumbs up to the Bike Co Lake Forest, a very Pro staff and friendly as well. I live in Long Beach and its well worth the drive for me. As for Helen's I feel they are have lost their edge over the years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    There's another good shop on Tustin Av. in Orange...if you're near the Path, it's called Adrenaline Bikes, another small shop, but great guys who work there.

mtbr member
    since supergo moved in a couple local shops have shut down. there is still Cycle Werks but their mounatin bike side dwindled. I do have Supergo and Rock n' Road each like 2 minutes from my house though. some cool people at the Rock n' Road in LAguna Hills. good service. won't charge fyou for what you dont NEED. and the do good work. they are also willing to deal with prices. cool place. They are limited on DH parts but will order anything ya want pretty much.
    AJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Michael's Bicycle's Kick Arse! - Newbury Park

I posted a review of these guys a couple months ago. But, since this is a sticky thread, I wanted to again give porps Mike, Shawn, and the crew at this shop. They have tuned all of my bike(s), my wife's HT, and I have bought an awesome set of $400 Bontrager Race Lite rims for my road bike. They charged me the price that was on the bontrager web page, but Yhardly charge anything for their services. Plus, I believe the rims are as good as $700 mavics. I buy alot of crap from Supergo in Ventura, but their service sucks big time! It takes forever for these numbnuts to get anything done. The workers at Superblow are nice guys and gals. Their managers are completely oblivious to those of us who buy a ton of crap from them. I still buy alot of stuff from them because of their great prices.

At Michael's they have quick service, typically day or two. And, sometimes they will do it right there if they are not busy. And, none of the fellas that work at Michaels' have any attititude. I try to buy lube and other stuff to patronize the shop. And, I am thinking seriously of maybe ordering a Titus X100 from these guys next year of the fundage allows. Give these guys a shot. They know their stuff and have great service.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zjchaser
    since supergo moved in a couple local shops have shut down. there is still Cycle Werks but their mounatin bike side dwindled. I do have Supergo and Rock n' Road each like 2 minutes from my house though. some cool people at the Rock n' Road in LAguna Hills. good service. won't charge fyou for what you dont NEED. and the do good work. they are also willing to deal with prices. cool place. They are limited on DH parts but will order anything ya want pretty much.
    2nd vote here for Rock N Road in Laguna Hills. Monie and Jeff are great people and service is without a doubt a priority.

bert
    Last edited by bertperez; 11-23-2004 at 08:21 AM.
    Rock n Road best LBS in Orange County hands down!

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Pasadena Area? Help

I am new to the Pasadena area and need a good bike shop. I have visited Helens in Arcadia and not very impressed. Pasadena Cyclery is decent, likely the best so far. Visted a few other but not too impressed.

I used to live in south Torrance and frequented South Bay Cycles. Those guys are great! I really wish they could have moved with me to Pasadena.

stay thirsty, my friends
    Sweet! Finally got this stickied

Thanks to whichever mod did that.
    - dino brown

stay thirsty, my friends
    And here's a mini review for Adrenaline Bikes in Orange. Got my yeti 575 there and got good customer service. I couldnt test ride it anywhere but the parking lot, however that's to be expected nowadays. I did however ride it for like 20 mins in the lot before deciding to buy it. I think the guy's name was Jim (or greg?) but he was helpful and answered any questions I had. The mechanic is cool too. A few weeks after I got the bike I brought it back due to a strange noise in the headset and without any fuss he started to look at it and put it up on the stand. Even chatted while he was working on it. Sort of a small store but lots of bikes and they can order most things too. They don't keep much in the way of accessories or clothes though, although they can order that also.
    - dino brown

jrm
    mtbr member

They still carry alot of stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    I know blasphemy but how can you beat their prices and service. The Fountain Valley store used to have some good mechanics but I don't know any more, I haven't given up my ride to any bike shops in a lot of years but if you are getting a good deal at your LBS it's partly due to the big bad consolidator putting the pressure on for instance Rock & Road which is a great O.C. bike store will actually pull out a Super Go catalog and match prices.
    that other shops cant or just dont stock. Things like fork springs, and assorted small parts. The one up here in Mountain View is OK. Pretty much meaning its just another supergo.

Just Grin and HUCK it...

I.E. Bikes in Murrieta

I live in OC and still travel about 60 miles to get my bike worked on at IE Bikes. Yeah, I have Rock & Road around the corner from me, but I don't trust anyone but IE. Matt (owner & mechanic) does an excellent job for me every time. Matt used to wrench for Lance Armstrong prior to him going pro. And the guys in the shop don't just sit around and look at you when you come in. They take the time to greet you and get you any info that you might need. They make a point to hook you up with what fits you, not just point you to the pricey stuff.

Their selection is outstanding. They'll get you the boutique brands if that's what you want. And they carry the standard Specialized, Raleigh, Free Agent, etc, etc, brands as well.
    MCM# 2007.1

Reels & Wheels

Lbs

The mechanics at Helen's Westwood are great. Wilbur is the man! Service at wheelworld in Culver City sucks. Taken my bike in 2x to have work done & they have forgotten to do stuff. Those guys seem really "out of it". Bill at wheelworld in Encino is great guy. Older Service guy at supergo Santa Monica is real helpful.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LBguy
    Sweet! Finally got this stickied

Thanks to whichever mod did that.
    welk-um

Merrrrjig
    Jan 2004
    BUY MY BIKES, not the best prices on parts, some good deals on bikes, lots of BMX and a lot of stinkys they even have a stab now i think, they also have a lot of lower end stuff, super nice guys and the best service you can get.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Same story

Moved from OC to the Pasadena/Glendale area and haven't found a good local shop. Anyone have a suggestion?

For those in OC, I highly recommend The Path. I still consider them my shop of choice, but I'm only in OC once or twice a month, and would like to know a decent LBS.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    I am new to the Pasadena area and need a good bike shop. I have visited Helens in Arcadia and not very impressed. Pasadena Cyclery is decent, likely the best so far. Visted a few other but not too impressed.

I used to live in south Torrance and frequented South Bay Cycles. Those guys are great! I really wish they could have moved with me to Pasadena.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

shops...

i'm from the pasadena area...so here's a list of the shops that i've visited:

pasadena cyclery: good service, prices are ok

helen's cycle in arcadia: the worst service ever, employees are elitist ***** and the prices suck

mtbstore.com: its an online retailer and they have awesome prices, you can visit their store by calling them but you need to give them a 2-3 day lead time on most products ordered...

i hope this was helpful

Old school BMXer
    Here are my 2 cents.

I build at least two high-end bikes a year (if only I could sell them that fast). I build my own bikes, and usually build my own wheels; however, some times I don't have the time to sit down and build the wheels.

My thumbs up descriptions are rather short, simply because I have expectations of good service and competency from all businesses, but these shops are certainly noteworthy.

Thumbs up:
    * The Path in Tustin - Great wheel builds! Good prices, great selection, knowledgable crew, and the willingness to order things (many shops don't like to place special orders). They are hardcore enthusiasts, but don't talk like it (see The Bike Co below).

* Rock and Road in Laguna - great prices and customer service (it helps to ask to beat Supergo's prices). The Rock and Road in Lake Forest on Portola has irritated me on a few occasions, though (example, I was looking for specific gold anodized parts for my SS - the guy there said that what I was looking for was way out of style and that no one should have gold anodized parts - what a jack @$$! Meanwhile, the other sales guy was selling a Specialized Enduro that had a bunch of gold ano parts (stock) - apparently, he didn't know what bikes were on the showroom floor).

* Switchback Cyclery - I haven't found the shop since they moved, but they offer great service and are truly enthusiasts.

* Atomic Bikes in Whittier - Good prices and service.

Thumbs down:
    * Supergo (Fountain Valley, Santa Monica, and Aliso Woods) - My friends have experienced more incompetence from their technicians than what I thought is possible (examples: short cables limiting suspension travel, oil heights in forks were backwards, stupid parts mix advice, tires installed backwards, and a general misunderstanding of how bicycles work). Their service is horrible (twice I've driven long distances because a guy on the phone said that they had parts in stock when they never did), and they rarely ever have anything in stock that I need. I get so frustrated when trying to buy parts from that place. However, sometimes they have great pricing on obscure parts that no one will ever want or on last year's stuff (which is still good, but watch for OE stuff that has different specification than what you think you are buying!!!). I hate house brands (Weyless).

* Adrenaline Bikes in "whereever they are this week" - The worst wheel builds ever!!! I ended up redoing them myself. I've ordered few parts and on a couple parts, they kept saying that they will be in next week, next week, next week. So in one case, I also needed that same part for another bike, so I ordered it from another shop (who was supposedly ordering it from the same distributor). I got it from them in no time, while Adrenaline kept saying "next week." They do often have a great selection on parts.

* The Bike Co in Lake Forest - I'm mixed on this one. Pricing has always been average to high (okay, retail), but I don't care for their service. I don't appreciate the way they talk down to me like I'm a newbie. I've been into this for a long time.

10 sec. club member
    Quote Originally Posted by irban_bike
    i'm from the pasadena area...so here's a list of the shops that i've visited:

pasadena cyclery: good service, prices are ok

helen's cycle in arcadia: the worst service ever, employees are elitist ***** and the prices suck

mtbstore.com: its an online retailer and they have awesome prices, you can visit their store by calling them but you need to give them a 2-3 day lead time on most products ordered...

i hope this was helpful
    For the Pasadena/Burbank area also check out H&S Bicycles in Burbank on Victory Blvd. Great group of guys and very knowledgeable. They all ride and pride themselves on taking care of the customer. 818 848-8551
    MySpace/IMALLSLO
    SoCals Foes and Kona dealer
    "Its a mystery wrapped in a riddle trapped in an enigma"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Glendale/Burbank

I'll second the opinion on H&S Bikes in Burbank. Outstanding service at a fair price. They're first on my list.

As a backup there's Bicycle Johns on Hollywood just south of Chandler. Couple past issues on follow up but who cares when H&S is just a mile or two away. Biggest plus are the extended hours on Thur and Fri (10 p.m.). Many of the mtb are a little too nice. Check them out upstairs. How often do you see a floor model Moots?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Supergo is only good for the low dollar stuff

No one, I mean no one can blow it out lower than Supergo. Pick and choose when you know exactly what you want but do not need any help. You can save a ton but the folks there don't know their head from a hole in the ground.
    Last edited by sl33pdirt; 11-24-2004 at 08:11 PM.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast