Results 1 to 72 of 72
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KamikazeBikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    255

    socal has some sweet trails.....whats your favorite!!?

    Whooo, i got the first post on here!!

    Anyways for the socal people lets hear where you live and what you like to ride!

    Im in San Juan Capastrano(by the famous San Juan Trail!)

    I love Saddleback are for the cooler days then ill hit up Aliso Woods ands whiting for the hotter days.

    cyahh
    Matt
    Intense Tracer

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32

    socal riding

    Laguna here........

    Love to hit Aliso then down canyon acres over to Laguna wilderness up into El Morro.....then cruise back on PCH.

    Good 2 hour loop

    KEEP IT WILD !

  3. #3
    [paste title here]
    Reputation: mtnbikerdude87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    515
    Well I would have to say Santiago Oaks near Irvine. That place has some of the nicest singletracks and downhills around. And plus the climb of the three b*tches is always a great way to train....

    here are some pics of a recent ride:



    Sweet ladder drop just built. (dont know who bulit it but thanks!)








    Mr Toads Wild Ride (AKA waterfall)






    Finally the Three B*tches Climb


    Well thats my favorite trail in SoCal. Theres a couple of others I like, but this so far is the most challenging
    Last edited by mtnbikerdude87; 01-28-2004 at 12:03 AM.
    Keep Pedaling

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    115

    La Tuna

    Climb up from the Burbank side and make a left into the La Tuna singletrack. Very technical But fun!



    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeBikr
    Whooo, i got the first post on here!!

    Anyways for the socal people lets hear where you live and what you like to ride!

    Im in San Juan Capastrano(by the famous San Juan Trail!)

    I love Saddleback are for the cooler days then ill hit up Aliso Woods ands whiting for the hotter days.

    cyahh
    Matt

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1

    help

    Hi!! I'm an italian guy and in a couple of weeks I'll be in oceanside,ca ;I would like to know if there are same nice trails in that zone:Thanks

  6. #6
    jci
    jci is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    75
    I live north of LA and ride around on the stuff around Palo Comado Canyon, Chesboro Canyon, and Ahmanson ranch. My favorite is going exploring through Ahmanson Ranch, but below is a picture of Palo Comado Canyon at a nice lookout.


    Click for larger version.

    Good stuff, and all down the street from me!

  7. #7
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,875
    anyplace that resembles this........
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 01-23-2007 at 10:05 AM.


  8. #8
    Borg
    Reputation: borg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    40

    Romero Canyon

    Views looking up & down. 2,200 ft. up in 5.5 miles. A slice of heaven!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    airin' it out in the 951
    Reputation: downhillzeypher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    160
    Corona over here. I mostly go to skyline since it's literally 2 minutes from my best freinds front door. Anyone up for a ride up here Saturday if it doesn't rain?

  10. #10
    Merrrrjig
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    268
    I like to ride laguna canyon (Telonics, Direct Dial) and San Juan Open Space is fun. This picture is of Direct Dial and yes I do ride that!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail Thumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    162

    San Clemente Here!

    To the Orange County guys, where are the trails in San Juan and what is a good trail for a Novice to train on? I'm not so hot about going UP a bunch of steep stuff, not fit enough. Also training my Daughter. She's pretty wild for her age and can handle some down hill stuff. I don't want just a family trail. We need something technical or DH. What can you guys reccomend here in this ares?

    Peace out!
    Paul

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KamikazeBikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Thumper
    To the Orange County guys, where are the trails in San Juan and what is a good trail for a Novice to train on? I'm not so hot about going UP a bunch of steep stuff, not fit enough. Also training my Daughter. She's pretty wild for her age and can handle some down hill stuff. I don't want just a family trail. We need something technical or DH. What can you guys reccomend here in this ares?

    Peace out!
    Paul

    Would have to say try ALISO WOODS in Laguna Beach Laguna Hills area.

    Its got everything from steep climbs to technial single track to flat fireroads.

    You can make many loops as short or as long as you want.
    here is a beautiful website about ALISO and many other trails in the area.

    http://www.mountainbikebill.com/


    have fun!
    Intense Tracer

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    571
    Kenter is great.

    It's the only place to ride aggressively and jump in west los angeles, kinda like a single lane slalom course.
    Last edited by dirtpaws; 01-29-2004 at 09:49 PM.

  14. #14
    Lord of the Chainrings
    Reputation: Mudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,924

    Smile Oceanside Trails

    Go to: www.mountainbikebill.com
    Click on: San Diego trails
    Click on: Flightline

    Others close trails include: Elfin Forest and Dailey Ranch. If you want to make a day of it, try Noble Canyon...

    Ciao.
    -Mudd

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    226
    Hey guys,

    Arcadia/Monrovia report here,

    Currently my regular ride is Monrovia Canyon Park up to Rincon, this is a nice ride not too technical but great for getting in shape.

    Ive been working on this same route then take it over to chantry, Im hoping to get into to good enough shape to take this route all the way to Mt. Wilson.

    Has anyone on here riden this before, if so how was it?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtdbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    309

    Flightline, Carlsbad

    Rock roller on the T9 trail at Flightline
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtdbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    309

    Corona Trails

    Quote Originally Posted by downhillzeypher
    Corona over here. I mostly go to skyline since it's literally 2 minutes from my best freinds front door. Anyone up for a ride up here Saturday if it doesn't rain?

    I was planning on riding there on Saturday or the Instense DH trail in Elsinore.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by plate
    Hey guys,

    Arcadia/Monrovia report here,

    Currently my regular ride is Monrovia Canyon Park up to Rincon, this is a nice ride not too technical but great for getting in shape.

    Ive been working on this same route then take it over to chantry, Im hoping to get into to good enough shape to take this route all the way to Mt. Wilson.

    Has anyone on here riden this before, if so how was it?
    Hey Plate, I live about a mile away from Monrovia Canyon Park and have up to the White Saddle too many times to count. It is a good training ride. The loop you're talking about would be epic. I've ridded from the OHV area in Azusa Canyon up to Rincon and then over and down through Chantry. It's about 5 miles to White Saddle so I'd guess about 15 to 20 miles for the loop you're talking about. That would be pretty brutal towards the end.

  19. #19
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085

    Flightline is the perfect hour ride

    Quote Originally Posted by mtdbike
    Rock roller on the T9 trail at Flightline
    That is one fun trail. Flightline is almost the perfect trail system for hour lunch rides - that is until the city of Carlsbad plows it to extend Faraday St. It's a great nite ride too.

  20. #20
    airin' it out in the 951
    Reputation: downhillzeypher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    160
    Anyone know a good trail near Corona to do shuttle runs off? It can't be TOO hardcore, but it's gotta be at least challenging and fast.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3

    hey man, could i ride with u guys

    nice trail, what day do u ride & time


    undefined
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerdude87
    Well I would have to say Santiago Oaks near Irvine. That place has some of the nicest singletracks and downhills around. And plus the climb of the three b*tches is always a great way to train....

    here are some pics of a recent ride:



    Sweet ladder drop just built. (dont know who bulit it but thanks!)








    Mr Toads Wild Ride (AKA waterfall)






    Finally the Three B*tches Climb


    Well thats my favorite trail in SoCal. Theres a couple of others I like, but this so far is the most challenging

  22. #22
    Just passing through....
    Reputation: DaFireMedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,331

    I'm from Upland....

    My favorite trails around here are East Fence Line in Chino Hills State Park and and Marshall Canyon in Claremont., some of which was burned in the recent fires but mostly intact

  23. #23
    [paste title here]
    Reputation: mtnbikerdude87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by emsunga@hotmail.com
    nice trail, what day do u ride & time


    undefined
    I usually ride on Saturday mornings. I meet my friend around 8:00 at his house and we ride from there. PM me if you want to come along and we'll schedule somthing out. This sat I might go but Im not completely sure.
    Keep Pedaling

  24. #24
    TECUN UMAN
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5
    Mine is got to be Red Box to JPL or Strawberry Peak. Perhaps Mt. Wilson Trail.

  25. #25
    120 pounds of xc sex!
    Reputation: carbnjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    639

    yuppers

    Quote Originally Posted by ALGUIEN1
    Mine is got to be Red Box to JPL or Strawberry Peak. Perhaps Mt. Wilson Trail.

    hmm JPL downhill kick ass, chino is fun, claremont is fun too...(if the trails are still there!)

    uh, i like some of the the santa monica trails of muholland too, nice singletrack and close to civilization.

    word
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

    WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

    >Ankur<

  26. #26
    Just passing through....
    Reputation: DaFireMedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,331

    Claremont

    Quote Originally Posted by carbnjunkie
    hmm JPL downhill kick ass, chino is fun, claremont is fun too...(if the trails are still there!)
    The trails are still there. The Grand Prix fire did some blackening of the wilderness park, but didn't do much to Marshall Canyon. Still very nice.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Slack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by ALGUIEN1
    Mine is got to be Red Box to JPL or Strawberry Peak. Perhaps Mt. Wilson Trail.
    Hey, I was just up there yesterday just checking out the parking scene. It was snowing at the top of Wilson... it's really cool up there.

    Do you ride thru Switzer and down or is there a different route down to JPL. Also, do you ride a DH rig? Are there hike a bike sections?

  28. #28
    TECUN UMAN
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5
    hEY Slack. I ride up Mt. Wilson toll road and then down to red box (yes) thru Switzer and down to JPL. No DH rig for this dude, but I do have a Ellsworth ID

    Here : http://www.outdoorsclub.org/pasttrip...+%AE%3C%2FB%3E

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Slack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by ALGUIEN1
    hEY Slack. I ride up Mt. Wilson toll road and then down to red box (yes) thru Switzer and down to JPL. No DH rig for this dude, but I do have a Ellsworth ID

    Here : http://www.outdoorsclub.org/pasttrip...+%AE%3C%2FB%3E

    Well, you're more a man than I... good job!

    pix you have there, thanks.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    18

    Good job! My favorites.....

    Chesebro, Los Robles, Sycamore Canyon.....

  31. #31
    Over the Hill
    Reputation: dstepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,752
    Santa Ana River Trail in Angels Oaks. I am partial to trees over desert shrub...all single track except the climb out.

    The best; Siberia Creek Trail, Big Bear, out to the big rock and back. I hear the rest of the trial is not rideable, very remote.

  32. #32
    Owner-Mass Produced Bike
    Reputation: Fly Skywest Airlines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    43

    I have two favorites

    The Rim Trail at Mt. Wilson to Chantry Flats and Chilao and The Mount Wilson Trail and the Backbone Trail oh..never mind. i give up.
    " www.mtbr.com the commercialization of a passion. sickening. "

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    333

    Cogswell Resevoir: Road: Open or Closed?

    Quote Originally Posted by BSEVEER
    Hey Plate, I live about a mile away from Monrovia Canyon Park and have up to the White Saddle too many times to count. It is a good training ride. The loop you're talking about would be epic. I've ridded from the OHV area in Azusa Canyon up to Rincon and then over and down through Chantry. It's about 5 miles to White Saddle so I'd guess about 15 to 20 miles for the loop you're talking about. That would be pretty brutal towards the end.
    Plate, BSEVEER or anyone else local, do you guys know if the access road through Cogswell Dam is open or closed. I've ridden a 30 mile loop from Hwy 39 through Westfork Rd past Cogswell to the gate at Rincon Rd, then made a left followed fire road to up to peak over and down other side back to HWY 39. It was a good simple fire road training ride. I would like to get back in there. The last time I rode it a couple of years ago I had to slip through the side of a closed fence to get the ride in.

    Chime in if you know what the curent status is. Thanks.

  34. #34
    If you have to ask...
    Reputation: miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    650

    My favorite SoCal Trail? I can't tell you-

    but it is a lot of fun. Long, with some big rocky downhills, some long climbs, and enough singletrack to make most anybody happy to see pavement again. Extra tasty sweet, but I am sworn to secrecy.

    Here's a photo, though:
    Attached Images Attached Images

  35. #35
    Just passing through....
    Reputation: DaFireMedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,331

    Hmmmmm

    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    but it is a lot of fun. Long, with some big rocky downhills, some long climbs, and enough singletrack to make most anybody happy to see pavement again. Extra tasty sweet, but I am sworn to secrecy.

    Here's a photo, though:
    My guess is the Julian/Santee area, based on the burned scenery. Can't be that good though, if you can't tell anyone

  36. #36
    If you have to ask...
    Reputation: miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    650

    Right County...

    but that photo was taken five years ago. Definitely nowhere near Santee, nor Julian.

    miles

  37. #37
    Old man on a bike
    Reputation: Bikinfoolferlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,388

    When I visit socal

    I ride Aliso Woods when visiting friends in Orange county, and the various sections of the Backbone trail in the Santa Monica Mtns when visiting family in the Valley...sure wish there was more in socal without driving far...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1

    San Luis Obispo County

    Hi all this is my first post hope i do it right. My local favorite trail is Lopez Lake near Arroyo Grande. Then there is Morning Glory and Shooters up in San Luis Obispo. Come up and go for a ride sometime.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtdbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    but that photo was taken five years ago. Definitely nowhere near Santee, nor Julian.

    miles
    The backside of Iron mountain was burn five years ago, but looks like the single tract befor Marthas Grove but both are near Santee, Harmony grove fire in 1996, or the Ranchita or Alpine fires a couple years ago. Nope, its probably somewhere in Riverside County.

  40. #40
    If you have to ask...
    Reputation: miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    650

    You know San Diego well, my son, but

    you still cannot snatch the trail from my hand. I'll tell you what- email me and we'll go out and rie it sometime, and you will agree that this is the sweetest trail in town.

    miles

  41. #41
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,317

    I know, I know. what do I win?

    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    but it is a lot of fun. Long, with some big rocky downhills, some long climbs, and enough singletrack to make most anybody happy to see pavement again. Extra tasty sweet, but I am sworn to secrecy.

    Here's a photo, though:
    but for protection of my loved ones, I cannot repeat it.

    YR

  42. #42
    If you have to ask...
    Reputation: miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    650

    I'll tell you what-

    Since you have most likely guessed correctly, let's ride at Flightline on Sunday morning. I know, Flightline has nothing to do with the discussion, but so what.

    miles

  43. #43
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,317

    yeah, yeah

    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Since you have most likely guessed correctly, let's ride at Flightline on Sunday morning. I know, Flightline has nothing to do with the discussion, but so what.

    miles
    we need to pick a time and a start.

    easiest place for most of us to meet is at the dead end of Faraday just off of El Camino. the other access points are harder for us from the south to get to.

    we'll figure it out on the group. Bear wants to go too.

    YR

  44. #44
    Just passing through....
    Reputation: DaFireMedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,331

    Ok, one more guess

    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    but that photo was taken five years ago. Definitely nowhere near Santee, nor Julian.

    miles
    That looks like a fire that I fought near Viejas about 5 years ago. Either that or its on the Pechanga Indian Reservation, and thats why you are sworn to secrecy.

  45. #45
    If you have to ask...
    Reputation: miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    650

    Was the Viejas fire really five years ago? Wow.

    Time flies, for sure. That area along I-8 looks pretty well grown back in now. Almost no sign of any fire damage.

    Just a few days ago I toured the Cedar Fire hotspots. South of Julian on Engineer Rd and Eagle Peak, then througgh the Lagunas. Incredible. Those trees aren't coming back in five years, that is certain.

    Anyhow, you are narrowing the field, but you still haven't got it (but you are thinking in the right direction).

    miles

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerdude87
    I usually ride on Saturday mornings. I meet my friend around 8:00 at his house and we ride from there. PM me if you want to come along and we'll schedule somthing out. This sat I might go but Im not completely sure.
    My favorites are Santiago, Aliso woods and Whiting. I like Whiting mostly just because it's a nice after work ride that I can easily bike to from my apartment.

    mtnbikerdude,

    I think I know the waterfall trail your refering to but I know it as "goat". Have you ever heard of it being refered to as "goat", I was wondering if it's the same trail. I love that trail but I don't ride it unless I'm with someone else so they can call in the medivac chopper when I get out of control. I havent needed the medivac yet but came close a few times.

  47. #47
    [paste title here]
    Reputation: mtnbikerdude87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLink
    My favorites are Santiago, Aliso woods and Whiting. I like Whiting mostly just because it's a nice after work ride that I can easily bike to from my apartment.

    mtnbikerdude,

    I think I know the waterfall trail your refering to but I know it as "goat". Have you ever heard of it being refered to as "goat", I was wondering if it's the same trail. I love that trail but I don't ride it unless I'm with someone else so they can call in the medivac chopper when I get out of control. I havent needed the medivac yet but came close a few times.
    ''

    I dont know if its called goat of not. I know it as Toads Wild Ride and Waterfall. The trail starts a little past chutes and goes all the way down to where the damn is. If you want to, we could take you on this trail. Im usually the slow one and prone to crashes, so the medivac chopper would be nice .
    Keep Pedaling

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerdude87
    ''

    I dont know if its called goat of not. I know it as Toads Wild Ride and Waterfall. The trail starts a little past chutes and goes all the way down to where the damn is. If you want to, we could take you on this trail. Im usually the slow one and prone to crashes, so the medivac chopper would be nice .
    Yeah, we must be talking about the same trail. Sunday is my only day off these days so if you want to setup a ride to santiago then, I would be happy to tag along.

  49. #49
    Just passing through....
    Reputation: DaFireMedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,331

    Actually

    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Was the Viejas fire really five years ago? Wow Time flies, for sure. That area along I-8 looks pretty well grown back in now. Almost no sign of any fire damage.

    Just a few days ago I toured the Cedar Fire hotspots. South of Julian on Engineer Rd and Eagle Peak, then througgh the Lagunas. Incredible. Those trees aren't coming back in five years, that is certain.
    miles
    I think it was about 3 yrs ago, The Pechanga fire was closer to 5 years ago. But either way. I'm outta guesses.

  50. #50
    Ride lots...
    Reputation: DSDuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    848

    Fave Trail

    The Tri-Canyon trails(Rose, San Clemente and Tecelote canyons) in Marian Bear Park in San Diego are my fave. They offer a little of everything with an emphasis on technical single track.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtdbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    309
    [QUOTE=miles]but it is a lot of fun. Long, with some big rocky downhills, some long climbs, and enough singletrack to make most anybody happy to see pavement again. Extra tasty sweet, but I am sworn to secrecy.


    Near Kitchen Creek (PCT) or some place south of I 8.

  52. #52
    If you have to ask...
    Reputation: miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    650

    Yep

    mtdbike is a winner. Email me sometime and we can go out there and ride- but let's do it before it gets too hot (it certainly would have been too damned hot today!).

    miles

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtdbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    mtdbike is a winner. Email me sometime and we can go out there and ride- but let's do it before it gets too hot (it certainly would have been too damned hot today!).

    miles
    Miles your email is blocked

  54. #54
    If you have to ask...
    Reputation: miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    650

    It should be fixed now

    So please try it through the User Profile route, to see if it does work. If it doesn't, try me at mdtodd at san dot rr dot com.

    miles

  55. #55
    mountain bike pimp
    Reputation: SDtrailblazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by DSDuke
    The Tri-Canyon trails(Rose, San Clemente and Tecelote canyons) in Marian Bear Park in San Diego are my fave. They offer a little of everything with an emphasis on technical single track.

    technical ??? i think the entire trail is extemely tame. i took my girlfriend who's never been mountain biking (actually she can barely ride a bike) on the trail 2 weeks ago and she had no trouble with anything out there. try noble or anderson i consider those trails techincal
    "sometimes i'm too much man for my own damn self"-undercover brother

  56. #56
    Ride lots...
    Reputation: DSDuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by SDtrailblazer
    technical ??? i think the entire trail is extemely tame. i took my girlfriend who's never been mountain biking (actually she can barely ride a bike) on the trail 2 weeks ago and she had no trouble with anything out there. try noble or anderson i consider those trails techincal
    Hey Genius--didja ever stop and think that maybe there is single track at this location that you haven't been on?? Not trying to be rude here, but you were a little. I have been riding for about 6 months, and am at least up to intermediate. Now a trail I call technical may be a breeze for a god such as yourself, but if your girlfriend is a beginner, then you definitely did not take her on all of the trails here.

    Give peace a chance bro
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtdbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by SDtrailblazer
    technical ??? i think the entire trail is extemely tame. i took my girlfriend who's never been mountain biking (actually she can barely ride a bike) on the trail 2 weeks ago and she had no trouble with anything out there. try noble or anderson i consider those trails techincal
    The rutted out short steep trail next to I805 is technical and some parts on the singletract near I5. Other than that it is pretty mellow.

  58. #58
    mountain bike pimp
    Reputation: SDtrailblazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by DSDuke
    Hey Genius--didja ever stop and think that maybe there is single track at this location that you haven't been on?? Not trying to be rude here, but you were a little. I have been riding for about 6 months, and am at least up to intermediate. Now a trail I call technical may be a breeze for a god such as yourself, but if your girlfriend is a beginner, then you definitely did not take her on all of the trails here.

    Give peace a chance bro
    i've been riding that trail off and on for the last 3-4 years, i mean i live 5 min (drive) from the trailhead a 15 min bike ride. i know it like the back of my hand so yes i'm positive there is not a single track section i haven't been on. that trail has maybe 1-2 beginner/intermediate sections but thats it, it's a beginner trail. you've been riding for 6 mos, bro you haven't even scratched the surface, try different trail and broaden you definition of technical.
    Last edited by SDtrailblazer; 03-11-2004 at 08:04 PM.
    "sometimes i'm too much man for my own damn self"-undercover brother

  59. #59
    Ride lots...
    Reputation: DSDuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    848
    Quote Originally Posted by SDtrailblazer
    i've been riding that trail off and on for the last 3-4 years, i mean i live 5 min (drive) from the trailhead a 15 min bike ride. i know it like the back of my hand so yes i'm positive there is not a single track section i haven't been on. that trail has maybe 1-2 beginner/intermediate sections but thats it, it's a beginner trail. you've been riding for 6 mos, bro you haven't even scratched the surface, try different trail and broaden you definition of technical.
    Yes it is true...I am a lowly beginner(in your eyes I guess) and I found this trail to have somewhat technical sections. I do believe the title of the thread is ".... what's your favorite?" Not "....what SDtrailblazer thinks my favorite should be." But I'm pretty sure that your "beginner girlfriend who can barely ride a bike" didn't ride all these trails without any problems.

    Interestingly enough, this trail is given an average 3 out of 5 on this very web site with several reviewers mentioning some nice technical sections. Also check out http://www.mybikesite.com/socal/trails/tecolote.htm -- where this ride(or part of it at least) is given an "intermediate" rating. Hmmm. That IS interesting.

    I don't understand your need to attack me and my opinion. It's just that--an opinion. That's the beauty of boards like this. We can all "express our opinions" and should be able to do so without people taking issue with something as simple as an opinion on a trail and it's rating.

    Like I said before Peace bro.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

  60. #60
    If you have to ask...
    Reputation: miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    650

    San Clemente Canyon (Marion Bear Park)

    Know it like the back of your hand? That's actually a pretty funny expression, if you give it some thought.
    I'll tell you how well I know those trails- I made a lot of them. If you ride to Rose Canyon paralleling I-5, thanks me and my old friend David. We made that. A long time ago.

    Anyhow, for a true beginner, there are some fun challenges. For a true expert, there are still some difficult bits here and there. On the whole, though, most trails in the park are beginner-intermediate at best.

    I would agree that it is technical, though, in the sense that it certainly isn't simply a flat fire road jaunt. A good rider may not find the technical aspects challenging, but that doesn't make them non-technical. An example? How about the side-sloping singletrack on the south side of the main trail just west of Genessee. Heading east, you climb a side-sloping trail, dodging the Poison Oak (if you care- I don't react to stuff, so it I don't much give a damn). You dip your left shoulder to not hit the tree that angles over the trail, and then you have that quick ten-foot drop, followed by some roots and a quick left turn. Sounds tricky, doesn't it. I've ridden it so many times I could not even guess, and I prefer the far right line on the drop just because it is more of a challenge. Still, as much as I could ride it in my sleep, I will still say that technique is called for (hence the term "technical".

    Anyhow, ride it and enjoy it. Thankfully it didn't burn.

    Miles

  61. #61
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,317

    that section of trail

    that you made totally sucks. I mean, it's like 10 inches wide and seriously off camber in some sections. Didn't you put any thought at all into it? Animals without the luxury of opposable thumbs can make a better trail! ;-)

    My personal favorite section of that area is the run through the water runoff culvert. Well, that and the limbo underneath the freeway.

    The descent by that school is resonably technical and by no stretch easy and there are other pieces of technical riding here or there. Of course, the most technical aspect of the ride is trying not to get busted while on Miramar land...........

  62. #62
    Owner-Mass Produced Bike
    Reputation: Fly Skywest Airlines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    43

    i love slo...

    Quote Originally Posted by amuddiebiker
    Hi all this is my first post hope i do it right. My local favorite trail is Lopez Lake near Arroyo Grande. Then there is Morning Glory and Shooters up in San Luis Obispo. Come up and go for a ride sometime.
    Hey you know which trail i really like is called the what trail! It starts along Tv Tower Road and it drops all the way down to a park next to Cuesta College near the state peniteniary. Man, two years ago it was like rocky and loose as hell! love it.
    " www.mtbr.com the commercialization of a passion. sickening. "

  63. #63
    Scooter
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    12

    Thousand Oaks, Ca

    I live in Thousand Oaks and some of the best riding lies in my backyard. Switchbacks to Rosewood, then Black-***** to Hell Hill and back. It takes about 2-3 hours depending on the pace. A great mix of smooth singletrack and fast fire roads.

    http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...jamesbrown.jpg
    Last edited by slp999; 03-12-2004 at 10:01 PM.

  64. #64
    Reels & Wheels
    Reputation: dv8cam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    350

    Kenter Whoops

    My Fav
    Attached Images Attached Images

  65. #65
    a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Reputation: mtnfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,749

    Siberia Creek Trail

    dstepper, can you post some more information on the Siberia Creek Trail in Big Bear. Based on you description it sounds like a good trail to check out. I've seen you around here for quite some time and you see to ride trails I like. So I can trust your opinon of trails. Any information is helpful. Thanks in advance!

  66. #66
    you go ahead
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    709

    West LA boy

    ...............
    Last edited by RustyBearings; 01-15-2007 at 11:57 PM.

  67. #67
    FTM
    FTM is offline
    ...
    Reputation: FTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    559

  68. #68
    suspension whore
    Reputation: matthew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    702
    isnt the toll road closed now due to the slide or can you get across.
    I 've been wanting to climb it b4 it gets too hot, then come down sturdavont or frontside?
    matt

  69. #69
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,851
    thanks guy...santiago oaks and more of Aliso...looks like the winners
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by plate View Post
    Hey guys,

    Arcadia/Monrovia report here,

    Currently my regular ride is Monrovia Canyon Park up to Rincon, this is a nice ride not too technical but great for getting in shape.

    Ive been working on this same route then take it over to chantry, Im hoping to get into to good enough shape to take this route all the way to Mt. Wilson.

    Has anyone on here riden this before, if so how was it?
    i live around the area. where is this trail? thanks
    -----
    some drink from the fountain of knowledge...
    others just piss on it..

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ihaveagibsonsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    970
    Quote Originally Posted by DSDuke View Post
    Yes it is true...I am a lowly beginner(in your eyes I guess) and I found this trail to have somewhat technical sections. I do believe the title of the thread is ".... what's your favorite?" Not "....what SDtrailblazer thinks my favorite should be." But I'm pretty sure that your "beginner girlfriend who can barely ride a bike" didn't ride all these trails without any problems.

    Interestingly enough, this trail is given an average 3 out of 5 on this very web site with several reviewers mentioning some nice technical sections. Also check out http://www.mybikesite.com/socal/trails/tecolote.htm -- where this ride(or part of it at least) is given an "intermediate" rating. Hmmm. That IS interesting.

    I don't understand your need to attack me and my opinion. It's just that--an opinion. That's the beauty of boards like this. We can all "express our opinions" and should be able to do so without people taking issue with something as simple as an opinion on a trail and it's rating.

    Like I said before Peace bro.


    Both of you should pack up the bikes and take a drive to my new favorite playground, iron mountain off the 67. I just rode up and down It 3 times today and only wiped it clean going down once. It's impossible to ride up this place unless the laws of physics do not apply to you. It is probably the most technical trail in San Diego, even above the high held noble canyon. Sorry this place is flat out dangerous, it can easily give you a life changing injury if you're not skilled enough to ride here. Don't even bother bringing a cheap bike there, it won't last.

    For size reference I ride a large frame full suspension 5 1/2in travel 29er, since my wheels are about 2 1/2 feet across you can use that for a scale reference. The ride down Is about 3 miles and you will encounter parts like this many many times and once you clear one there's another before you can catch your breath.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v680/ihaveagibsonsg/?action=view&amp;current=IMAG0901.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/ihaveagibsonsg/IMAG0901.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>


    Ahhh a somewhat easy section, too bad the picture doesnt show the hair pin turn right behind me with a 3 foot drop.

    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v680/ihaveagibsonsg/?action=view&amp;current=IMAG0910.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/ihaveagibsonsg/IMAG0910.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

    About the easiest section you will see here. I'm usually quite relieved to get here unharmed since I'm usually suffering a mixture of post traumatic stress disorder and adrenaline at this point. This section is more technical than the whole tecolote canyon system.


    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v680/ihaveagibsonsg/?action=view&amp;current=IMAG0907.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/ihaveagibsonsg/IMAG0907.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PerfectZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,208
    Hah wow this thread is ancient.

Similar Threads

  1. Trails and Rides forums...
    By fc in forum Other Areas
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 03:20 PM
  2. Biking trails in Jousha Tree
    By mtnbikerdude87 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 11:02 PM
  3. Indiana DNR starts to open State Parks!
    By JmZ in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 10:32 PM
  4. i need some info on New Mexico MTB rentals/ trails
    By SDtrailblazer in forum Passion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 02:39 PM
  5. eastern mass trails conditions
    By dang in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 08:35 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •