just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005

Socal Fires...Hope everyone is safe!

I hope everyone here and that their family and friends are safe! I had to leave my
    home in the San Pasqual valley near the Wild Animal Park about 2am Sunday
    morning and still am not allowed back. The fire has completely ravaged the
    valley and South/North Lake Hodges. Many of our friends have lost their homes
    and driving out the valley, seeing the damage is very hard. We were eacuated
    out of our home, my parents home in Escondido, and my Grandmothers home
    in Fallbrook...ending up going through Camp Pendleton to the coast. My home
    phone answering machine is coming on so I am sure my house is still standing.
    I was told by the police and national gaurd that there was damage to homes but
    none were lost in the area! So.....I hope everyone got out in time and is safe.
    Homes,bikes, and stuff can be replaced but people cannot.

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005
    Stoked! Just found out I can get back into the area by my house!

No known cure
    Glad to hear you are OK. I'm not sure if you guys are getting news(the news never reports our area and I don't own a TV) on the Grass Valley or Slide fires in the San Bernardino Mountains, but that's where I am right now. Monday and yesterday were hairy and several of my friends and neighbors houses are gone here in Lake Arrowhead. I managed to save mine though. Things have calmed down around here but Running Springs is still taking a beating. By tonight we will probably lose the Rim Nordic race course. I'm getting a little restless with the wife, kids dogs, bikes ect gone, but mandatory evacuations are in effect so I can't leave the house, unless I leave the mountain. Then there's trouble with looters; but I have something for them. I hope everyone stays safe.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    I'm out here in Prescott Arizona. but grew up in O.C. my family is there but they safe. I do have many friends who live in Silverado and Modjeska Canyons....My thoughts are with all you guys hope you, your families and homes are safe.

best wishes to all
    Peace, Billy
    Darwin was an Optimist

Glad to Be Alive
    man I pray for all.....very sad to hear of people losing thier houseor personal belongings
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yes I just hope everyone is safe. Loss of belongings not a big deal REALLY, and that's what insurance is for. But even beyond that, ultimatley, that people: family, friends are safe.

I live in Boise, Id but have friends and family in Orange County and specifically in Silverado Canyon, Oceanside, Encinitas and was glad to hear all of them were okay as I was really worried about my sister in Oceanside, and my friends in Silverado Cyn.

Here is an article from the Idaho Statesman about some of Boise firefigthers coming down to help; I am proud of ALL the firefighters.

More than 20 Treasure Valley firefighters boarded a schoolbus Wednesday evening to go help battle California's wildfires.
    The team is a response to California's request for 50 strike teams to relieve firefighters who have been on duty from 73 to 96 hours, said Brad Hufford, deputy director of finance and logistics for the Idaho Bureau of Homeland Security.

The team has five engines, also called pumpers, with four crew members and one team leader. They'll work long hours for at least 14 days once they arrive in California, said Caldwell Fire Chief Mark Wendelsdorf.

"This is a dangerous situation," Nampa Fire Chief James Woydziak said. "They could be in harm's way. We make sure they know that before they go."

More firefighters die in wildfires than in regular structure fires, he said.

Firefighters from the Caldwell city and Caldwell rural, Nampa, Middleton and Meridian fire departments will travel 14 hours to Chino, Calif., to where their pumpers are being trucked. From there, they could be sent to any of the fires in California, Wendelsdorf said.

Brad Trosky, Middleton's fire chief, will supervise the strike team. Middleton, like most area fire departments, has helped fight wildfires in Idaho. "This is the first time anyone can remember that we've had to (fight fires out of state)," Trosky said.

Participating departments won't leave their communities unprotected, Woydziak said. He said he will pay overtime hours to make up for vacancies on his staff. Those hours will be reimbursed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Departments usually tap reserve engines that aren't usually used unless a front-line engine is in for repairs. Nampa has three reserve engines.

Idaho is hoping to send a second team from eastern Idaho, Hufford said. Fire departments that have committed to send firefighters include Idaho Falls, Swan Valley, Idaho National Laboratory and Fort Hall, Ellis said. On Wednesday, organizers still needed one more department to provide personnel.

FEMA will reimburse the Idaho fire departments for their expenses.