mtbr member

Socal Camping + Mtb'ing

I'm looking for a nice SoCal camping location where I can take my 10 year old daughter camping and mountain biking - she loves to bike and is working on her skills but can't yet handle anything too technical. It'll be for a few days and we can do anything from cabins to throwing down a tent in the middle of nowhere and completely roughing it. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Over the years, I have camped at Mt Pinos CG on, surprise, Mt Pinos, and it sits at the upper trailhead of what we call the Jump Trail. I can't remember if it is really named Harvest or Southridge trail. In any case, it is a fun and pretty short trail that is not too hard to ride back up from the bottom of the trail, either on pavement or back on the trail.

EDIT: When my son was much younger and had a one speed kids bike, he would ride down the trail and then I would hook a rope and bungie cord combo and tow him back up the hill. Good workout for me and he loved it. Now he wears the same size shoe I do. Sigh!

Mt Pinos is above Frazier Park.

Also, Big Bear would work well and you could use the chair lift to help take the sting out of the uphills. I know some of the trails off the top may be over her limits, but even the fireroads leading to the Town Trail are pretty nice. All this is just behind Snow Summit.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Mt Pinos is perfect for camping and riding, especially for youngins. McGill is nice but I prefer Chula Vista CG up top. You have to hump in your gear for about 200 yards but you will be the only ones there and it's free.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    East San Diego has Cuyamaca, and also Big Laguna. There's a nice 10~ mile jaunt around Big Laguna Lake with a few rocks. Some hills, but all small; nothing extended. Not too much extended technical. Campground has running water and then just normal FS toilets.

Hurkey Creek in Idyllwild is a county park. A bit nicer campground, but also right by the highway. Warm showers, playground, etc.

Also a nice 9 mile loop with a decent amount of climbing. There are other trails in the area as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sycamore Canyon in Ventura County is nice, especially with the beach being there as well.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by (wireless)
    Sycamore Canyon in Ventura County is nice, especially with the beach being there as well.
    my choice too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Take a look at Hurkey Creek near Idyllwild. Lots of riding there, and I've seen kids and parents riding in spots near the campground. I think they do the first 2 miles or so of the 24 hour course as an up and back.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    O'Neil Park in Trabuco Canyon is a great county park. There are plenty of trails to keep a 10 year old happy; fire roads and single track. You could also try your hand at Holy Jim Trail which is further down the canyon from the camp sites. Trabuco creek road is bumpy but has good scenery and would provide a 10 mile round trip.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

Kenny Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by (wireless)
    Nicest place by far. I camp and ride there a lot. It is so beautiful. The is a long flat trail with some creek crossings. I used ride there when I was about 5. And I still ride there. There is also the beach which makes it nice.
    805/ 530

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I second the Laguna Campground in SD County, or just down the road there are small cabins at Mt. Laguna Lodge.