mtbr member

So, what's the scoop with Mt. Baldy?

What is the latest? When can we have lift access again in So Cal? Sure is warm nowadays....I would love to ride lift runs again.... when is opening day? Season passes available?

mtbr member
    Wow, I am so glad that there is so much good news on the horizon!
    [/SARCASM]

Glad to Be Alive
    here is the latest..........

trails were scouted last weekend........but unfortunately we have to be patient.......have to get all the enviromental things done right the first time.

there will be some trails this summer but the best stuff will be next year
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Shiver-- what kind of trails... dh, xc or something for everyone? When you say "some trails this summer", do you mean lift access this summer?? Please keep us posted!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    have to get all the enviromental things done right the first time.
    no kidding.

I remember a year or so ago back when this was an AMBP thing or whatever,
    when I said that the environmental part of this would take a long time, I got yelled at.

Funny how when you actually know what you are talking about that you end up
    being right.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi
    Shiver-- what kind of trails... dh, xc or something for everyone? When you say "some trails this summer", do you mean lift access this summer?? Please keep us posted!

definatly will be lift access XC trails and some DH stuff......time is short this year but I think they will have ladders, drops, and other nice stuff......

there will be something for everyone......plus an area (basic training) where in a few hours you can really get your skills sharpened a lot without the risk of getting hurt......very safe stunts for the beginner to the expert rider.......based off of www.Blackrock.org (FALSS CITY)

should be a lot of fun this summer and "Whistlerish" by next summer
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    So when is opening day?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

check their site...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney
    Nice! Sounds great... I would love to see pics... I may hafta go up there sometime really soon. Thanx for the info.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Peru
    So when is opening day?
    they are open now, but there are no real trails, just random paths down the mountain...

we've got some cool lines in mind. next year our trails will be off the hook when we are able to move farther up the mountain.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    definatly will be lift access XC trails and some DH stuff......time is short this year but I think they will have ladders, drops, and other nice stuff......

there will be something for everyone......plus an area (basic training) where in a few hours you can really get your skills sharpened a lot without the risk of getting hurt......very safe stunts for the beginner to the expert rider.......based off of www.Blackrock.org (FALSS CITY)

should be a lot of fun this summer and "Whistlerish" by next summer
    Who is working on the trail building? Would they be looking for any volunteers? I live nearby and could probably get crew together.

mtbr member
    I really need to see some pictures of people ripping it up on the runs....anyone?

Death By Snoo Snoo
    anyone do a scouting mission yet? is there actual single track that will lead back to a chair lift?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by munkyspank
    anyone do a scouting mission yet? is there actual single track that will lead back to a chair lift?
    Yeah, what he said....some photos would be nice too!

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    IMO they can't open Baldy soon enough. I was speaking with an ANF ranger this past weekend. He said they have had an increase in complaints about mountain bikers. He specifically referred to bikers with "all the armor on and the motorcycle helmets."

It will be good to have a place where the gravity guys can ride again, rather than on multi-use trails.

NOTE: This is not meant to be a flame on the gravity guys. I like to ride fast and would love to ride as fast as you guys on the bikes you guys ride.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    IMO they can't open Baldy soon enough.
    I am under the impression that it IS open already. However, no photos or reports from anyone?!?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Peru
    I am under the impression that it IS open already. However, no photos or reports from anyone?!?!
    Itís open, but itís not a bike park by any stretch of the imagination.

I was up there Wednesday and itís the same as usual. I didnít see any new trails, just some old trail ďimpressionsĒ. There has always been a ďtrailĒ down the middle of the first chair. There are a couple places where someone has repeatedly traversed down; I suppose you could call that a trail. I did ride down a newly bulldozed road but it really wasnít that much fun.

Thatís all I saw, but I wasnít looking too hard for anything new. I also didnít go any further than the lodge at the notch.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Shiver me timbers or Westcoasthucker Some ??? you guys seem to be invloived with Baldy and the planning what kind of time frame are we looking at for the 06 season anything worth riding yet? and I assume no bike restrictions like Big Bear?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sorry guys, I haven't checked the threads in a while.

To answer the big question, Yes and NO. No Baldy is not open for riding...yet. Yes, it will be as soon as we can get the forest service reports (archeology, Botany, and biology) approved. We fully expected to open in August, but turn around time at the forest service is a tad on the slow side. Trust me, I wanted the park open yesterday. It's to damn hot to be pushing a dh bike back up the trails. Anyway, the last thing we want to do is rush into this and get shut down 6 months later for some little paper mix.
    up.

Westcoasthucker is going to be dialing in some of the big hits and lines for us. I doubt I need to fill you in on his qualifications for the job as we've all seen him hit and build the gnar. We were up there on a recon mission about a month ago and WCH was amped on the lines he found (not sure if I should be excited or scared about his ideas ). Shivermetimbers is a serious local builder as well and no doubt will be an important player in the construction process.

Beyond that it really comes down to a waiting game. Someone mentioned AMBP starting things at Baldy. Well, that was me and my former partner. He left and we shutdown AMBP. I've been pushing this bike park out of the dirt for well over 1 1/2 years and I'll be damned to stop now. You can all come check out our booth at the grand opening of Cynergy Cycles in Santa Monica on June 24th.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    [QUOTE=Mt.BaldyBikePark] Yes, it will be as soon as we can get the forest service reports (archeology, Botany, and biology) approved. We fully expected to open in August, but turn around time at the forest service is a tad on the slow side. [QUOTE]

Yup, we deal with that all the time where I work.
    Typically you have to submit an archaeology report,
    and a Biological Assessment/Biological Evaluation (BA/BE).
    The BA/BE is a comprehensive document that addresses
    flora and fauna on the forest.

Like I said in the past, about a year and a half ago, this takes
    A-W-H-I-L-E.

Ultimately, I wish you guys luck in getting this all approved and am
    glad that someone is out there doing this. I look forward to
    riding the trails up there when they are developed.
    thanks.