mtbr member
    Feb 2007

So cal wheel builders?

Anyone have any suggestions? I need a pair of 32 spoke single speed wheel built. Who is good? Any ideas on price to get wheels built?

Should I just do it myself?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you are in San Diego, I would talk to Mike at North of the Border. He has built several sets of wheels for me, and they have been flawless. His prices are reasonable too...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Whats reasonable?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It depends on what you are building, but I find him very competitive. If you are in the area, give him a call.

mtbr member
    in south Orange County, The Path Bike Shop in Tustin are hard to beat on wheel building. I had 2 wheel set built there and have been very satisfied. I am a big guy and the wheels held amazingly. they never needed truing of never broke a spoke, which happened all the time with OEM wheels. Attention to details and good techniques.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    in ventura county - James or Victor @ Simi Cycling Center build awesome wheels! I'm 210lbs on a 29er and they built up my wheels - they've never needed truing and I'm hard on equipment.

check it out if you're in the area...
    Simi Cycling Center
    Simi's Premier Bicycle Shop, Since 1975
    Specialized, Giant and More...

Trying a little
    In Ventura County / West LA Win's Wheels in Agoura

http://www.winswheels.com/

He's been around since forever

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=GMoney I'm 210lbs on a 29er [/QUOTE]

you're just bragging, I am 265lb

It did not mention, they are presently building me some 29er wheels. Hopes hubs with Stan flow rims.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    250lbs, two sets of 29er rims from North of the Border.

Set one: DT tk7.1d DT Comp 2.0 / 1.8 spokes DT alloy nipples, DT 440 hubs (Flawless after 8 months no problems)

Set two: Sun Equalizer 27mm rims DT Comp 2.0 /1.8 non-drive side, Champ 2.0 drive side rear with DT alloy nipples, DT 340 hubs - Front DT Champ 2.0 Rotor side, Comp 2.0 / 1.8 non-disc side DT alloy nipples (One month old, and going strong)

Mike is a solid wheel builder, and so is The Path, The Path built a set of DT Tk 7.1 with DT comp spokes and alloy nipples laced with XT hubs, rock solid as well.

You cannot go wrong with North of the Border or The Path.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    250lbs, two sets of 29er rims from North of the Border.

Set one: DT tk7.1d DT Comp 2.0 / 1.8 spokes DT alloy nipples, DT 440 hubs (Flawless after 8 months no problems)

Set two: Sun Equalizer 27mm rims DT Comp 2.0 /1.8 non-drive side, Champ 2.0 drive side rear with DT alloy nipples, DT 340 hubs - Front DT Champ 2.0 Rotor side, Comp 2.0 / 1.8 non-disc side DT alloy nipples (One month old, and going strong)

Mike is a solid wheel builder, and so is The Path, The Path built a set of DT Tk 7.1 with DT comp spokes and alloy nipples laced with XT hubs, rock solid as well.

You cannot go wrong with North of the Border or The Path.

Cool, that might work. As far as I know they are a Niner dealer which is what I'm looking
    for.

By the way, I'm trying to get a set of White industries ENo hubs with Stans flow rims. Do most people buy the parts and bring them in, or just get it all there?

The price i was looking for was just for the labor of building it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercycleman
    Cool, that might work. As far as I know they are a Niner dealer which is what I'm looking
    for.

By the way, I'm trying to get a set of White industries ENo hubs with Stans flow rims. Do most people buy the parts and bring them in, or just get it all there?

The price i was looking for was just for the labor of building it.
    North of the Border would have to order the parts, and it would only take a couple of days to get the goods. As for The Path, they may have them in stock. The Paths selection is hard to beat.

I cannot remember what they charged me, but it was not bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If you in the Claremont/Pomona area, check with Jack Franklin at Coates Cyclery. He has built up wheels for me for every type of riding I do or have done, which includes road, DH, XC, SS and tandem. I never had any problems with the wheels he's built, he's also a great bike mechanic too.

Glad to Be Alive
    where you live
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    carlsbad.

I just have never had wheels built before and was trying to figure out if it would be $50 bucks or 150 for labor as I have no clue. Not looking for an exact quote but just something rough to have an idea of cost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Check Daves Wheels website, he is in AZ. You can pick his brain for tech info as well. Check out the reviews for his wheels on this website. Moderate prices to however much you want to spend.

used to be uno-speedo....
    Check out Chuck at Pacific Coast Cycles in Oceanside. He's built a couple of wheelsets for me and they have been awesome. He is one of the oldest shops in Southern California who has been selling mountain bikes. The guy knows his stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercycleman
    carlsbad.

I just have never had wheels built before and was trying to figure out if it would be $50 bucks or 150 for labor as I have no clue. Not looking for an exact quote but just something rough to have an idea of cost.
    The going labor rate for a 32 spoke wheel build is about $32. It should be more, but most of us stay pretty close to this.