mtbr member
    Dec 2010

So-Cal Welder / Fab disc brake mount

In am interested in updating an older carbon fiber / aluminum (tail section) mountiain bike frame to disc brakes (no real reason other that a project). Rather than deal with non friendly adaptors, does anyone know of a local (so cal) bike shop / fabricator who may have experience in weld on disc brake mounts. The actual concept is relatively simple, however someone with prior experience with clearances, measurements, etc would sure be a time saver. Thank you in advance.

Old school BMXer
    It's gonna cost you. Depending on the type of aluminum, you'll likely have to get the frame heat treated after welding. I'm not sure how this is done with a carbon fiber front half. From what I understand, just getting a single aluminum frame heat treated is about $200. Of course, that doesn't include the cost of welding on the brake tab or paint. BTW, few custom builders in so cal work with aluminum. There are some across the country, if you're willing to ship the frame.

Do you really want to put that much time and $$$ just for a project?
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Might be better off going with something like this, $150.

http://2btherapy.com/index.php/bikes...conversion-kit
    Last edited by socal_jack; 01-03-2011 at 11:29 AM.

You know my steez...
    Not So-Cal but might be the right guy....
    http://www.mikkelsenframes.com/photos.html
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Russ Denny is a great So Cal frame builder who works with aluminum, but the other poster is right, heat treating after welding would be impossible with the carbon fiber front end.. and a bad idea.
    I would have a machine shop make you a bolt on adaptor or use what is already out there, it is going to cost you either way you go.

Flaccid Member
    Probably more cost effective to just buy a used frame that already has the brake mounts on it for disc brakes.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I agree....

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack
    Might be better off going with something like this, $150.

http://2btherapy.com/index.php/bikes...conversion-kit
    this is the way I would go....no way would I put weld brake tabs....just to much a hassle and costly too

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I appreciate the info gentlemen. No looking back now, since I shaved off the canaliver brake mounts today. "buy a new frame", where is the fun in that. I realize I am going to put more money into this A.D.D. plan of mine than the bike / frame is worth, but it will be fun along the way. I am taking some pics along the way. If I can figure out how to post them, I keep you up with the progress....thx again....